CE24 goes out of tune in Drop-D. How do I remedy this?

Richb

Any tips or tricks to keep my CE24 from having ALL the strings go out of tune, when I tune to Drop-D?
Thanks

That's just part of changing tunings on a guitar with a trem. When you drop the low E to D, it's reducing the "pull" of the strings, and so the "pull" of the trem springs compensate to find the new balance, throwing the tuning of the other strings off.

I should add that I did learn a couple of helpful tips from this video, even though it's Floyd related and covers other things:

1) Tune from the middle strings out. (around the 4:00 mark)
2) "Compensate" the off strings by tuning them sharp or flat in the opposite direction. It actually reduces the amount spent retuning each string over and over. (around the 6:00 mark).

Trems are tough if you want to switch back and forth. My PRS guitars are stop tail. But I have a couple of strats. One is a floating trem that I keep to standard. And I have one decked that makes it a little more stable when I want to do like a Hendrix/SRV/Metallica tuning that is down a half step. Takes WAAAYYYY too much effort to tune down on my floating trem. So I only do it on the decked one.

I should add that I did learn a couple of helpful tips from this video, even though it's Floyd related and covers other things:

1) Tune from the middle strings out. (around the 4:00 mark)
2) "Compensate" the off strings by tuning them sharp or flat in the opposite direction. It actually reduces the amount spent retuning each string over and over. (around the 6:00 mark).

Thanks. Center tuning seems to help a but.

Rich I have a tremel-no in one of my trem PRSi, only goes down so when I drop D it stays in tune across the strings, works great...

If you don't have a stoptail, don't bounce between standard tuning and drop-D, and and currently using 10-46 strings, try changing to a 52 on the low E (or D). This will do 2 things. It will partially compensate for the trem change from a 46 in standard tuning but you will need to make adjustments. But the biggest thing is, it will prevent from your low D string from bouncing out of tune when you hit it hard. If you pound on a .46 in a drop D, the string vibrates so much it goes sharp for a bit, then comes back into tune. A .52 or .54 won't do that. If you are using .009-.46.....well then I'm tossing you to the wolves. Drop D needs heavy strings.

Next question.....are you using standard gauge strings, or did you heavy them up? If you did, the nut may be binding.

Last edited:
Back