CE24 fretwork finish ok?

Telesketch

Hi, new member from Spain here.

I just received a new CE24 semihollow from a dealer in Germany(not available locally, so I had to order online), and when checking the guitar the fretwork surprises me.

I can see the frets were levelled and the frets ends rounded, BUT the frets have not been crowned.

They are flat on top, as if they forgot to crown them after levelling. Is this normal on a CE24? It is a bit underwhelming to have to pay for a frets dress on a new 2'5k€ guitar.

Is this the standard PRS fretwork quality for CE series? Or did I have had luck and this one skipped quality inspection?
deIcmb

I sent a CE24 into the PTC to have the frets dressed. They came back crowned so I'd say it needs finishing.

Visually it seems that way on my CU24s (Core) and Silver Sky too. The only difference on those is that the frets are generally polished well (except a few on the CU24 that feel very rough...) almost giving the impression they are crowned until you look up close.

Big manufacturers in that price range and higher will usually cut corners that way.
That said, if you check pictures of the Ibanez Steve Vai JEM7VP you'll see that exceptional fretwork is also possible at $1800 on high end import guitars...

Edited to add a picture of my CU24 Core:
LtwN4hO.jpg

Last edited:
Actually purposely flattened frets are part of the spec of the 594. Perhaps they've made it to the rest of the line.

There's nothing wrong with the frets I'm seeing.

Back