CE22 Rotary Switch Wiring

Ed Gardella

I bought a used 1995 ce22 in pretty good condition with the exception of the wiring. It has 2 original Dragon 1s and they test normal in terms of resistance, etc. When I wired the pickups to the rotary switch (black, red, white) .. left to right for each pickup, positions 7 and 9 were WAY out of phase - total tin cans! I followed the exact pre-2007 wiring diagram on-line. By chance I reversed the black and white leads on the treble pickup and it seems to have fixed the issue .. although the output of positions 7 and 9 are a lot lower. Does my “fix” seem reasonable and is this normal? I appreciate the help. by the way ….. I love the guitar!

On Dragon 1 pickups the treble pickup is wired opposite the bass. Same with the HFS/Vintage set. White is black and black is white in terms of how they are wired to the rest of the circuit. Sounds like you did the right thing by chance. The in between positions were lower in output than the others so unless it's a dramatic difference, it's normal.

On Dragon 1 pickups the treble pickup is wired opposite the bass. Same with the HFS/Vintage set. White is black and black is white in terms of how they are wired to the rest of the circuit. Sounds like you did the right thing by chance. The in between positions were lower in output than the others so unless it's a dramatic difference, it's normal.
Very helpful .. thanks. What was confusing is that the labeling on the rotary switch is BRW for each pickup (left to right). I was familiar with the HFS/Vintage deal (I have a 1990 CE24), so i just assumed the Dragon 1's were the same way. Thanks again.

Very helpful .. thanks. What was confusing is that the labeling on the rotary switch is BRW for each pickup (left to right). I was familiar with the HFS/Vintage deal (I have a 1990 CE24), so i just assumed the Dragon 1's were the same way. Thanks again.
So your action wasn't just by chance. You had a hunch and it paid off. :)

Back