CE violin top

I've owned several CEs over the year, and my favorite by a wide margin was the only new one I've owned. Pickups sounded better, it played fantastically, was nicely balanced, and the neck was amazing. The Core CEs I owned were great guitars, but the new one was just a bit more magical. In the end, I got rid of it because I just don't like trems - the same reason I'm probably about to sell my S2 CU22. I like stop tails.

A perfect case of making one group happy and the opposite for another. The CE does have a shallow Violin carve and the SE 24-08 is the first SE with a shallow violin carve. People wanted violin on the SE and a cheaper CE. Heres those wishes. You also have to remember the SE 24-08 is the flagship SE. CE has full core electronics, locking tuners, no veneer (some CE tops have been amazing lately) and made in Maryland. The SE and CE do share a trem but otherwise the new CE is a more of hybrid between Core and S2, squarely in the bolt on class.

I do agree the pricing everywhere, including PRS, is ridiculous, but I also just walked out of a mom and pop music store where guitars were 15 or 20% off.

Last edited:
I've got a new CE 24 and an old CE 22. Both are great guitars. It's no secret about how the new CEs differ from the old ones. Nobody should be surprised by it. If a person wants an old CE, there are plenty of them out there for less than the cost of a new one.

While I agree that the golden years seem to be well behind them (admittedly a highly subjective opinion), your comment is hard to take seriously.

Business is exceptional for them right now. That’s bound to promote arrogance in leadership and impact quality in production. It will also blind them to a lot of BS they’ll have to account for when times get hard again. Its human nature. But I wouldn’t say that they’re becoming a joke.

Not yet anyway.
As you say, it's subjective.

I go back to 1991 as a PRS player and customer. Among these early guitars were a couple of nice CU24s and an Artist II.

Since 2000, I've bought at least one PRS, both Core and PS, every year. I can only speak to the ones I've owned, obviously, but I think the guitars have improved tonally (at least to my vintage-inspired taste), and have maintained the same QC. I realize you've owned many more during this period, so your sample size is larger. Perhaps you've had more issues?

Each of us is going to find different things they like or dislike about any line of guitars, and some of it depends on very personal preference. Among the improvements that I think have been made, these are most important to me:

1. The hardware - The 2 piece bridge on the SC and 594 models is a work of genius, and I find it sounds better on a stop tail guitar. The tuning machines are better. The locking PS Gen III trem results in more stable tuning than anything I've owned in the past, including Floyds. I think the Core Gen III trem is a little more stable in terms of tuning, too, but it's pretty subtle.

I had the early (cast as one piece) trem bridge and the current one made of two pieces that they introduced a few years later, and don't actually notice a difference. I had them back-to-back.

The brass inserts on the wrap tailpiece prevent the tone from becoming plinky. To me this is a huge improvement in that part.

The bone nut with the 594 and other stop tail models is a nice improvement.

I prefer a 5-way blade to the rotary knob. It's less pretty, perhaps, but it's more intuitive when I play guitar.

I dug the look of the old winged tuners, and the concept was pretty cool, but using them was always something of a PITA for me. I can only speak for myself, but I like the Phase II and III tuners more.

2. From the 57/08s onward, the pickups are far better, at least for the things I do (I didn't like the earlier pickups at all, so perhaps I'm biased).

3. Starting with the V12, the finishes are thinner, and I think that's a factor in the guitars' tone improving. The newer nitro finish is the icing on the tone cake, and speaking for myself only, takes the line to the next level.

4. It's nice to see the dealer WL runs. The guitars offer non-standard choices, and they're usually a great alternative; most are less expensive than Artist models. And with WL guitars, PRS has done runs of BRW fretboards. I think this results in a more responsive pick attack, and a brighter tone than IRW (though at present I don't own one with BRW, I've had a couple).

The point is that PRS is actually showing more flexibility than they ever did in the past about what dealers could order.

5. New models like the Special that previously didn't exist are fantastic. The 594 hollowbodies are superb instruments. I kinda wish they still made the SAS. But the new models more than offset that, to me.

6. In terms of cosmetics, most Core models have the headstock veneer that was once an Artist Package-only feature. Recent inlay designs look nicer to me. I like the neck binding on some models (this is also a performance feature, since fret sprout bugs me if it happens, though it's only happened once on a PRS I owned in the early 2000s). The color palette has been more interesting in recent years.

7. The 594 neck is perhaps the most comfortable I've played. I like the toggle switch position on the model, too. For me it works better than groping to the bottom of the guitar for the toggle.

8. I'm not a Strat player, but the JM model is pretty terrific.

For all of the above reasons, I think PRS has been working hard to improve the guitars, and they've largely succeeded.

Perhaps they should have come up with a different name for the current CE. If they'd simply called it an S2, and left it at that, I doubt we'd see these complaints.

And to the OP: the CE is indeed a violin carve, it's just less deep. So what.

Next time maybe examine a guitar in person before buying, or at least buy with a 24 hour approval period so you can send the darn thing back if it doesn't meet your expectations.

I kinda just don’t understand the CE anymore.

They coulda gone two ways reintroducing it: the way they went, making it a cut rate Custom…. Or they coulda finally shown it some love, admitted that the four bolts added (or rather subtracted) something to the tone (which is something Paul has kinda flip flopped on) and made them top tier instruments like they almost did for a second.

The SE CU24/22 and S2 CU24/22 already fill the “cheaper” Custom market (I would think) and they’re less expensive.

I dunno… maybe I’d feel differently if I was just getting into PRS and had to have a “violin” carve with a pretty top? But now that the SE CU24-08 has one, maybe, I dunno.. all I know is that for me it’s a bummer.

I absolutely adore both of my old CEs and just kinda ignore the new ones.

I mean, look at this:

https://reverb.com/item/38278747-1997-prs-ce-in-bonni-pink

They coulda reintroduced these in alder (or even added a basswood option for the super shredders) and charged Core prices for ‘em. Oh well.

They coulda gone two ways reintroducing it: the way they went, making it a cut rate Custom…. Or they coulda finally shown it some love, admitted that the four bolts added (or rather subtracted) something to the tone (which is something Paul has kinda flip flopped on) and made them top tier instruments like they almost did for a second.

The SE CU24/22 and S2 CU24/22 already fill the “cheaper” Custom market (I would think) and they’re less expensive.

I dunno… maybe I’d feel differently if I was just getting into PRS and had to have a “violin” carve with a pretty top? But now that the SE CU24-08 has one, maybe, I dunno.. all I know is that for me it’s a bummer.

I mean, look at this:

They coulda reintroduced these in alder (or even added a basswood option for the super shredders) and charged Core prices for ‘em. Oh well.
The problem is that most PRS fans agree about the older CE's... and now they typically cost more than the new ones. :-(

I mean, look at this:

If you look at it from a product-line perspective, I think it provides the "why." They needed a step to fill that large, large gap between the S2s ($1l-$2k) and Cores ($3.5k+). The idea with modern product line design is to entice people to step up one rung on the ladder from where they start to look. The gap from S2 to Core is too large for that. Not too many people would start looking at a $1,500 guitar and decide to buy the $4,000 guitar, but they might jump at something north of $2,000 if they like the differentiator (the pickups).

If you look at it from a product-line perspective, I think it provides the "why." They needed a step to fill that large, large gap between the S2s ($1l-$2k) and Cores ($3.5k+). The idea with modern product line design is to entice people to step up one rung on the ladder from where they start to look. The gap from S2 to Core is too large for that. Not too many people would start looking at a $1,500 guitar and decide to buy the $4,000 guitar, but they might jump at something north of $2,000 if they like the differentiator (the pickups).
I couldn’t get a job as a sander let alone in their marketing department, so it’s no wonder I don’t understand. :p

But coming at it as a consumer (and without talking new prices) there’s like, a difference of a set of US pickups between the CE and S2 price wise. They seem more in competition with each other than a “step up”.

If I were starting over fresh, and looking at the both of them, I don’t know which level of Nerfed I would choose.

I mean, look at this:

Damn, that's sexy!

I mean, look at this:

You nailed it. This is exactly how I feel.

I understand why they do some of the stuff they do, but I wish they would still offer some of the original models from the early days. Like Gibson and Fender still do.

You nailed it. This is exactly how I feel.

I understand why they do some of the stuff they do, but I wish they would still offer some of the original models from the early days. Like Gibson and Fender still do.
That's exactly what they don't want to do! Because then you get stuck in a rut like F and G, whose customers expect (demand) old models from the '50s and '60, and when they try to come up with something innovative, they get slammed. PRS has the luxury of not having that vintage baggage, so their success is not tied to the past, but to product innovation.

That's exactly what they don't want to do! Because then you get stuck in a rut like F and G, whose customers expect (demand) old models from the '50s and '60, and when they try to come up with something innovative, they get slammed. PRS has the luxury of not having that vintage baggage, so their success is not tied to the past, but to product innovation.
I never said only make the original models. I said they should still offer some of them. Innovate while still offering a few original models and we could all be happy.

Last edited:
Perhaps they should have come up with a different name for the current CE. If they'd simply called it an S2, and left it at that, I doubt we'd see these complaints.

And to the OP: the CE is indeed a violin carve, it's just less deep. So what.
BINGO! Boggles my mind the amount the CE line gets trashed. The maple tops are gorgeous. I would say better than 90’s. The carve is different. How’s it bad? I don’t agree it digs into the arms. My Zach myers did. And the pickups are great nowadays. The only thing I’ll agree about is the bridge. Stick a core bridge. Other than that Its phenomenal. If it was called part of the 'S2 bolt ons" I think people wouldn’t complain. But they wanted to give core pickups at a cheaper price point and people aren't happy. If they charged 4-4.5k...how is that going to satisfy most people? It will price it out of reach for most that would have shown interest in the CE lines

Last edited:
I’ve had this one for about a week now. I paid less than a used modern CE for it. Feel like I stole it.

7xTFnHI.jpg

IPXHImn.jpg

I’ve had this one for about a week now. I paid less than a used modern CE for it. Feel like I stole it.

7xTFnHI.jpg

IPXHImn.jpg
Would love to own CE-22 over my CE-24. Not a fan of 24 frets, but it plays so well.

Back