CE Questions...

Kdogg788

This might have been in the wrong thread but hoping someone might have the info. I’ve been wondering about the CE guitars. It seems to me that the older run of CEs had a better array of colors available to them. Is there a list anywhere that contains all the finishes that the CEs have had? The CE necks used to be Wide Thin just as most of the SE guitars do now. I played an older CE recently and to me at least, the neck felt thinner than my 2018 Custom 24 SE. Is it all in my head or are the older CE necks thinner?

-k

Older CE’s generally had the same colors available as the rest of the era’s guitars in which they were produced, so if there’s a color you like from say... 1995, there were CE’s in them. The only difference I believe was in the 2000’s when they had those “Hot Hues” by DuPont opaque colors.

I’ve found SE’s have a tendency to have more variation in neck carve than the core guitars, at least in my experience. I have at least three SE’s with W/T necks that are all (slightly) different.

The very early CE's (pre-1994) were extra thin. Thinner than the W/T of the other core guitars. Somewhere along the way they got the normal W/T profile of all core guitars. My 88 CE24 is super thin. My 95 CE22 is actually a W/F feeling neck. Go figure...

The very early CE's (pre-1994) were extra thin. Thinner than the W/T of the other core guitars. Somewhere along the way they got the normal W/T profile of all core guitars. My 88 CE24 is super thin. My 95 CE22 is actually a W/F feeling neck. Go figure...
Model History page says CE22s actually came in both W/T and W/F. Sounds like you got a W/F one.

Thanks for the replies so far! I mainly asked because I played the 1995 CE Custom 22 at Mann's a while back and the neck felt like playing an Ibanez compared to my SE Custom 24. It would take me a little while to scare up the cash for one, but the used CEs are pretty nice. The colors I wondered about because the color palette of the new CE line seems a bit limited, even when compared to what I've seen on some S2s out there.

-k

I'd get an older one. I like the colors better (emerald, purple, and blue Matteo are personal favorites) AND the body is carved to the set-neck depths with USA hardware. These newer CE's just don't look as good in the finer details IMO.

I think you have to look at the older ones as a different instrument than the newer ones. Each has it’s own flavor. I didn’t like the vb/hfs on my 2003, so it got changed to 57/08’s. I’d still like a newer one.

I think you have to look at the older ones as a different instrument than the newer ones. Each has it’s own flavor. I didn’t like the vb/hfs on my 2003, so it got changed to 57/08’s. I’d still like a newer one.

This is true. I'm not a huge fan of the HFS/VB in my custom 24 either. Now these new limited runs with the quilt tops I've seen around are very very attractive.

I ordered my 89 CE with the wide thin. Haven't played a newer w/t but compared to the regular pattern necks it is considerably thinner. Also a side question to all: I know construction wise they are different but both the CE and the CU24 have HFS/VB pickups but the CE sounds much better than the CU24. CE is an 89 model and the CU24 is 2014. Were there any changes to the pickups between those years?

My 2007 has a W/T neck and it just screams. I got to really run through it last night and it did not disappoint.

Neck is definitely thinner than my other guitars with W/F necks but it fits the personality of the guitar perfectly. Only thing I would change would be to have birds...but that's because I'm a snob like that :D

Back