CE question

DK1984

Is there anything about how Paul designed the CE neck pocket or how the bolt on makes it better than lets say a fender?

I was just curious because I never owned the CE but I'm going to try to get one eventually before the prices get too insane on those.

I’m not sure there’s much difference in the approach, except maybe tighter tolerances on the CE - my Fenders always had a bit of a gap somewhere around the neck pocket that I don’t see on my CE (or my Silver Sky for that matter).

If it’s the type of guitar you’re looking for, it’s quite excellent! I don’t think prices have skyrocketed over the last few years, and there’s plenty of great used ones at excellent prices on Reverb/ebay.

I’m not sure there’s much difference in the approach, except maybe tighter tolerances on the CE - my Fenders always had a bit of a gap somewhere around the neck pocket that I don’t see on my CE (or my Silver Sky for that matter).

If it’s the type of guitar you’re looking for, it’s quite excellent! I don’t think prices have skyrocketed over the last few years, and there’s plenty of great used ones at excellent prices on Reverb/ebay.
I agree on availability and quality. I just purchased a used 2006 CE-22. Mine is a solid mahogany body (no maple top) with Dragon II pickups and a 5-way switch. It included all hang tags and in very good condition—for less than $900. The sound adds a convincing fender-ish single coil tone to my lineup.

This ^^^

I have a maple capped CE24 that blows my custom away. Both have the same electronics/switching. Only difference is the screw on maple neck. Yes, screw on....there are no neck fastening bolts on these or most other "bolt on" guitars. :p:D

CEs are great guitars. One big difference between those and bolt-on Fenders is that on a CE the neck goes much deeper into the body. It actually extends under the neck pickup instead of stopping short. So there's a lot more contact area between neck and body, and they make that fit nice and tight.

20% closer than what....a custom? Half in the bag right now so please excuse me if it's a dumb question.

Cheers! :D

Fender sound = Custom / Fender / Squier / Tele / Strat / JM : take your pick. Its just an opinion.
Another opinion. I think its the bolt on neck that makes that difference with the CE. Though of course its far from the whole sonic blueprint.

Fender sound = Custom / Fender / Squier / Tele / Strat / JM : take your pick. Its just an opinion.
Another opinion. I think its the bolt on neck that makes that difference with the CE. Though of course its far from the whole sonic blueprint.

Cryptic dooode. :cool:

First post, huge PRS fan...I just wanted to chime in as I recently picked up a 1991 PRS CE24 and I wanted to share my thoughts. So for reference, at 1 time or another I've had a late 90s & an early 00s CE22, a PRS DGT (06 I think), a 20th Anniversary Standard 24 (all mahogany), an S2 Vela, an SE semi-hollow, & I'm probably forgetting 1 or 2 (not to mention an embarrassingly large number of other makes/models). What's my point? This old beat up 91 CE24 is hands down THE best guitar I've ever had. I've had 335s, LP Standards & SGs, some nice Fenders, etc & nothing compares. Nothing. I don't like to believe that vintage or "pre-factory", in this case, equals better & I know PRS has never really had any QC problems. But, the sustain, tone, playability & overall feel is something I've not experienced before & I think this has a lot to do with where, when, & how it was built. I knew within just a few seconds this guitar was special and I didn't hesitate for a second to trade my 2019 American Professional Tele for it straight up. Objectively, it's been played a LOT but as far as I can tell it's never had a fret dress & the wear is almost imperceptible. The rosewood still has a rich, deep hue. The pots are a little scratchy but otherwise every component still works perfectly & stays in tune incredibly well. Subjectively, it doesn't play like a brand new guitar. It plays better. PRS's earlier days were all about bridging the gap between Gibson & Fender & this CE24 is the best example of that I've ever seen. It has more girth & sustain than an average Les Pau & I think it has a totally different level of clarity, note separation & bite than your average Fender. Hard to believe from a bolt-on less than 8 lbs. Oh & this is all unplugged, mind you. I haven't even gotten to the pickups yet! The HFS/Vintage Bass set is often referred to as a rough equivalent to the JB/Jazz combo. Output-wise, they're about the same but these don't "sound" like Seymour Duncans to me. I've played the hell out of the JB/Jazz set combined with all kinds of different woods. The HFS/VB mids/upper mids are more pronounced. They just sing & I cannot get enough of them. Sweet, biting vintage PAF tone for eons. Bottom line, I think all PRSs are great. You get so much more for your money than any other guitar. But I happily stumbled upon an example from yesteryear that reminds me that vintage guitars are still worth the hunt. Sorry for rambling! Hope you're enjoying your CE24, they're amazing instruments.

Is there anything about how Paul designed the CE neck pocket or how the bolt on makes it better than lets say a fender?

I was just curious because I never owned the CE but I'm going to try to get one eventually before the prices get too insane on those.
The only difference is that the CE uses a tenon that bolts into the body. On a strat or tele the neck bolts to an extension from the body, if you know what I mean.

No matter what you read, they're both subject to similar problems and getting pocket cracks. I like the PRS join but it's not inherently any better, it's just a way to make a regular PRS into a bolt-on. I think when you inspect the neck pickup cavities on the old CE models they're quite tidy joins, but they still have small gaps like strats do

I do have a ce22 that has a neck pocket crack. I think it's only finish crack but I don't care because the guitar rocks!

Back