CE Neck Cleaning

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by BMiller, Feb 12, 2017.

1. BMiller

BMiller New Member

So I recently got a new to me CE 24 (it's an '06 in Blazing Copper). It has been a long week at work and home (working second shift in a museum but still have to get up early for the kids) so I haven't had much time with it until today.

The previous owner took great care of it, but upon real play today (practice and prepping for rehearsal tomorrow with the band), I'm getting all sorts of build up and gunk off of the neck while playing. Running up and down the neck, this gunk rolls off like 2 day old Play Dough. I have a friend who has a higher acidity in his sweat than I do so I know what caused this film of gunk. Cleaning it off of poly finished necks was easy. But since the CE has a thin nitro finished neck, I don't want to screw it up.

Any suggestions?? It's rather disgusting.....

2. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I used Murphy`s oil soap very carefully, wiping it immediately after cleaning. And letting it air dry thoroughly before I cleaned mine again. I did it until nothing came off the neck. Then I cleaned it with lighter fluid. After that, it was 2 coats of butcher block wood wax. I should mention that the finish was partially worn off the neck. The guitar is around my neck as I write this.

3. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

If its a standard finished maple neck believe it or not Pledge does a great job of removing the goo !!!

4. Michael_DK

Michael_DK New Member

I'm pretty sure the finish isn't nitro, right?

5. BMiller

BMiller New Member

Thanks guys....I'll see what I have under the kitchen sink.

Michael_DK - The CE necks have a satin nitro finish....at least on the old ones.

6. Michael_DK

Michael_DK New Member

Sorry, I totally spaced on the fact that it said it was an "oldie". Yes, the old CEs had nitro necks.

7. BMiller

BMiller New Member

Yes sir....I have a '96 and an '06 CE24. Great guitars like all PRSi!

BTW, I used some Orange GLO and played for 2 hours today....no more gunk. Plus, I smell of citrusy goodness!! The guys are going to love me at rehearsal tonight....lol....