CE model changes over the years?

Jo-

f-hole lover
As I understand it, the CE model today is not like what it was a few years ago, in that it's more like an SE with their cheaper bridges, SE hardware and pickups. I also feel that my Reclaimed LTD CE seems to have a much flatter carved top than my '97 CE, although it could just be the satin finish that gives that impression. Also I notice that the backplate is now on top of the back, instead of being flush with it.

So what is the time line of what changes they made, and when they were made?
I'm just wondering what years I should look at when looking at older CE's.

And of course here's a pic, you know how we love pics here, feel free to post some of your CE's.

IMG_1521.jpg

Yeah, alder in 95, heel in 94, rosewood fretboard added in 90 and maple fretboard just kinda went until they ran out.

I believe the three piece 10 top option and birds also started in late 94. Alder returns to CE22’s in 2008.

New Reclaimed CE comes out, looks awesome, then new CE rolls out and…

Yeah, alder in 95, heel in 94, rosewood fretboard added in 90 and maple fretboard just kinda went until they ran out.

I believe the three piece 10 top option and birds also started in late 94. Alder returns to CE22’s in 2008.

and???? come on.. you can't leave that sentence unfinished. :)

Have an '89 and '19. To me they are 2 totally different instruments. The 89 has a 5 way rotary that makes it almost comparable to a 513 in terms of tones. The 19 is a SH but just doesn't really compare tone wise to the 89. I know there are wood and pickup differences and if I didn't have the 89 I would enjoy the 19 more. You just can't replace those early model ce's when it comes to tone and feel.

1994 was supposedly the last year for alder, they switched to mahogany for 1995. I say supposedly because my 1994 CE-22 has a mahogany back. Birds as well. The CE’s before they were discontinued were core-level instruments and are among the best guitars PRS has made IMHO. Especially the CE-22.

1994 was supposedly the last year for alder, they switched to mahogany for 1995. I say supposedly because my 1994 CE-22 has a mahogany back. Birds as well. The CE’s before they were discontinued were core-level instruments and are among the best guitars PRS has made IMHO. Especially the CE-22.
Yeah, there’s some slight overlap, IRCC it started in August of 94 but anything they started building before then.. ya know.

Yeah, there’s some slight overlap, IRCC it started in August of 94 but anything they started building before then.. ya know.

My '95 CE-22 maple top had a mahogany back and an acquaintance had an alder backed '94, so that makes sense to me. When did they switch from Dragon I to Dragon II pickups?

Current CE models only use the bridge from the SE model, pickups 85/15 are USA versions, and tuners are USA too, I think previous generation but they are not SE, and work well. I got mine just before the pandemic, so early 2020 I believe, this is still considered current production, yes?

Current CE models only use the bridge from the SE model, pickups 85/15 are USA versions, and tuners are USA too, I think previous generation but they are not SE, and work well. I got mine just before the pandemic, so early 2020 I believe, this is still considered current production, yes?
PRS has only used USA made tuners on one guitar.

Not sure I knew that, or quite understand. The CE doesn’t use SE tuners though, correct? But are you saying they just aren’t made in the US?
The CE and S2 guitars use different tuners than Core/WL/PS etc. and different tuners than SE’s. None of them are made in the US.

I was responding to you saying the “tuners were USA too”.

Back