CE DW wiring diagram - reduce volume on position 2 and 4

sm78

Thanks for the add. Just picked up a used 2020 CE DW. When I select position 2 and 4 there is a volume drop. This is my second CE. I have reviewed the diagrams and don't see anything that matches. I'm an ex ET1 with 2m experience and have done a few electronics swap outs. I could see why on position 4 but position 2 looks like it should be pretty strong. Is there a specific diagram? Any assist would be appreciated.

I have the control diagram but can't paste it here.

Do you have the DW-specific wiring diagram the regular CE-24 diagram? They are quite different (DW has a 5-way blade, the regular CE a 3-way toggle). The DW diagram isn't posted on the PRS support page; however, I have it (requested previously from PRS). I modified the diagram to add color and improve readability. I pasted the diagram below. If you prefer higher fidelity or enlargement of a section, let me know...

A volume drop may reflect a grounding problem. The first check for that is to use a multimeter to check continuity across all grounded components (pots, bridge, etc.). It may also be a cold solder joint - visually inspect the solder joints on the pots and switch. Reflow any that look suspect. A cold joint can sometimes look normal, so my preference is to reflow everything to eliminate the joints as a variable. Next, inspect the switch through its range of movement. Make sure all the terminals are making solid contact. If necessary, bend tabs to increase contact. You might also put a drop of Deox-It on each of the switch's terminal pads. Also, verify which pickup is suspect...if that pickup is "low" in all positions, there may be an issue with the pickup (least likely option). If that same pickup is full in some positions, but low is others, then you know it is likely an issue with the connections at the switch.

The DW Mojotone pickup wiring color codes are:

TREBLE (Bridge)
WHITE = Hot
BLACK = Coil Tap
RED = Coil Tap
GREEN = Ground (to back of pot)

BASS (Neck)
BLACK = Hot
WHITE = Coil Tap
GREEN = Coil Tap
RED = Ground (to back of pot)

The DW switch position functions are:
1 (Down) - Treble Pickup
2 - Treble Humbucking Pickup and Bass Single Coil
3 - Treble and Bass Humbucking Pickups
4 - Treble Single Coil and Bass Single Coil
5 (Up) - Bass Pickup

You can see that #2 & #4 share the Bass single coil and Treble pickups. It may also be one of the red jumper wires on the switch. Truly, you will want to check all the pickup connections - Hot, both Coil Taps, and Ground.

Good luck!

Erick - To get a response like this in 2 hours is awesome. Thank you! I printed all this and went down to the bench. Attaching jpg of the switch cavity. I'll need to raise the pickups to check the wiring. The green wires with the gnd is a ? and the red white should red black?
Give me a few days and I'll update on findings.

Garrett - agreed. As above let me see what I have and will update.

Rsp/ Steve

I don't see where I can attach an image.

Looks like I have some rewiring to do. Will advise.

IMG-0959-002.jpg

PRS support responded and provided me with an wiring update for the PRS CE DW, please find attached. It is a mirror image of my original configuration. I went ahead and unsoldered everything, cleaned it up and resoldered. Ran her through a test run and I'm good.
Thanks for the assist and suggestions from Erick, Garrett, and Ryan from customer support.

Dustie-Waring-CE.png

Back