CE-24 with a rosewood neck

( . )( . )

Do these exist? I’m thinking of sending my old black 97 into ptc and having them put on a rosewood neck with an ebony board and moons. Talk me out of it, because I know it’s expensive, and there’s nothing wrong with the guitar now, but I think it’d be really cool. Ideally, I’d change it to a 25.5 scale with a 20” radius, phase 3 tuners...I know - I should just get a Holcomb SE and mod it, but that’s not quite the same.

Last edited:
At that point you should probably just build a PS CE, which is something I'd love to do.

Do these exist? I’m thinking of sending my old black 97 into ptc and having them put on a rosewood neck with an ebony board and moons. Talk me out of it, because I know it’s expensive, and there’s nothing wrong with the guitar now, but I think it’d be really cool. Ideally, I’d change it to a 25.5 scale with a 20” radius, phase 3 tuners...I know - I should just get a Holcomb SE and mod it, but that’s not quite the same.

Nothing to talk you out of. You can't get a new neck from the PTC. Even if yours breaks. A repair, yes. A new neck, no.

Nothing to talk you out of. You can't get a new neck from the PTC. Even if yours breaks. A repair, yes. A new neck, no.
Ah - well thanks for clarifying...

I think I’ve talked myself out of it already. I pulled it out and I’ve been playing it for the last hour since posting...I forgot how nice it is as is.

But still, has anyone ever heard of a CE with a rosewood neck?

whoa. even if it breaks? I dont like that

But still, has anyone ever heard of a CE with a rosewood neck?

No, I haven’t. In my mind if you’re going to spend the extra money on a rosewood neck I would want it to be a set neck core or PS but I do wonder what a CE would be like with a rosewood neck.

No, I haven’t. In my mind if you’re going to spend the extra money on a rosewood neck I would want it to be a set neck core or PS but I do wonder what a CE would be like with a rosewood neck.

Don’t get me started on how the new CE’s aren’t up to core standards anymore - plenty of people have already complained about that. My two CE’s are from 93 and 97 and both are very nice - not that I’ve ever really played a bad PRS core.

Tangent aside, my guess is a rosewood neck would sound similar to maple, but I spent about 15 years playing only acoustic guitars in between my electic years, and I really love the feel of a rosewood neck. If I did the fretboard in Ebony, I’d imagine it would be even brighter than it is with a maple neck and rosewood board, but I’m one who’d rather have to dial back the tone knob on my guitar, if necessary, rather than add treble on my amp.

Don’t get me started on how the new CE’s aren’t up to core standards anymore - plenty of people have already complained about that. My two CE’s are from 93 and 97 and both are very nice - not that I’ve ever really played a bad PRS core.

Tangent aside, my guess is a rosewood neck would sound similar to maple, but I spent about 15 years playing only acoustic guitars in between my electic years, and I really love the feel of a rosewood neck. If I did the fretboard in Ebony, I’d imagine it would be even brighter than it is with a maple neck and rosewood board, but I’m one who’d rather have to dial back the tone knob on my guitar, if necessary, rather than add treble on my amp.

Not sure about the new CE’s, When I had a CE it was an early 90s one with an Alder body. I like the sound of them better than the mahogany body ones but that’s just personal preference. Kind of regret selling that guitar. I never delved into the whole rosewood neck thing. You mentioned playing acoustic, I’m just curious did you play acoustics with a rosewood neck?

Last edited:
Not sure about the CE’s, When I had a CE it was an early 90s one with an Alder body. I like the sound of them better than the mahogany body ones but that’s just personal preference. Kind of regret selling that guitar. I never delved into the whole rosewood neck thing. You mentioned playing acoustic, I’m just curious did you play acoustics with a rosewood neck?

So my 93 is alder and my 97 is a hog...I like them both almost equally, but the 97 is probably a bit nicer of a player. Honestly, they sound very similar - I think the maple tops give them both some snap...maybe a bit more sustain on the 97.

Yes - I played predominantly acoustics with rosewood necks/backs/sides and spruce tops. I tend to prefer ebony fretboards over rosewood as a general rule, but some rosewood boards are just amazing to me. I also have had several mahogany guitars (back/sides) with either mahogany or rosewood necks, which were nice and warm, but I play a lot of pick modified finger style (I know that makes no sense) and the rosewood/spruce/ebony on om sized guitars just brought out the upper mids (piano bell tones) that I loved.

All that said, I’d love to order a private stock Hollowbody with a spruce top, rosewood back and neck, mahogany sides, and an ebony board with the piezo option, with moons...but you know - who has that kind of dough?

Last edited:
So my 93 is alder and my 97 is a hog...I like them both almost equally, but the 97 is probably a bit nicer of a player. Honestly, they sound very similar - I think the maple tops give them both some snap...maybe a bit more sustain on the 97.

Yes - I played predominantly acoustics with rosewood necks/backs/sides and spruce tops. I tend to prefer ebony fretboards over rosewood as a general rule, but some rosewood boards are just amazing to me. I also have had several mahogany guitars (back/sides) with either mahogany or rosewood necks, which were nice and warm, but I play a lot of pick modified finger style (I know that makes no sense) and the rosewood/spruce/ebony on om sized guitars just brought out the upper mids (piano bell tones) that I loved.

All that said, I’d love to order a private stock Hollowbody with a spruce top, rosewood back and neck, mahogany sides, and an ebony board with the piezo option, with moons...but you know - who has that kind of dough?

I never actually played acoustic guitar with a rosewood neck. I always preferred the spruce top Rosewood back and sides combination but they’ve had mahogany next with Rosewood fingerboards on my Martin’s and Taylor’s. I swore I would never stray from that combination but when I brought a PRS Tonare grand The sound was incredible, had the bass depth of a rosewood back and sides Martin but better sustain and more even notes.... If that makes sense just trying to explain. PRS has flamed Mahogany back and sides, spruce top, Cocobolo fingerboard. I couldn’t believe the tone I was getting out of the mahogany back and sides. I swore I would only get that from the Rosewood combination.

Now you have me very curious I’m going to check out acoustic guitars with the rosewood necks see what they’re like

Not sure about the new CE’s, When I had a CE it was an early 90s one with an Alder body. I like the sound of them better than the mahogany body ones but that’s just personal preference. Kind of regret selling that guitar. I never delved into the whole rosewood neck thing. You mentioned playing acoustic, I’m just curious did you play acoustics with a rosewood neck?

If you’re interested in a production acoustic with a rosewood neck, look for a Yamaha L series 26 (expensive, but awesome). I like the LS (smaller) size. These guitars are hand made in Japan and I think they blow a lot of the high end American acoustics out of the water. They were doing a 5 ply neck with rosewood and mahogany stripes, ebony board, Engelmann spruce tops, and rosewood or mahogany back/sides (your choice) the last time I checked a few years ago. They’re probably going for 2.5-3k, but I don’t know of a “cheaper” acoustic with a rosewood (albeit, not purely rosewood) neck for less.

If you’re interested in a production acoustic with a rosewood neck, look for a Yamaha L series 26 (expensive, but awesome). I like the LS (smaller) size. These guitars are hand made in Japan and I think they blow a lot of the high end American acoustics out of the water. They were doing a 5 ply neck with rosewood and mahogany stripes, ebony board, Engelmann spruce tops, and rosewood or mahogany back/sides (your choice) the last time I checked a few years ago. They’re probably going for 2.5-3k, but I don’t know of a “cheaper” acoustic with a rosewood (albeit, not purely rosewood) neck for less.
Thanks I’ll check them out.

Back