CE 24 Tone/ Tone Pod

emkay

Hello,

I have been enjoying a CE 24 (2017) that I got recently (brand new) but got a question about the tone. I have been a Fender Strat guy for some years and have a decent amp (a modified Fender BJ). My strat sounds pretty good through this amp but my PRS sounds very warm. Almost way too warm and muted. The top three strings (D, A and E) are especially muted as if the tone pod is set half way down or more. I changed the strings to a new set but that did not change the tone at all.

I know that those are two different animals (guitars) when it comes to the tone, etc. but I kind of think there is some underlaying issue on the PRS.

The Push/Pull Tone Pod is not responsive at all. The tone changes drastically from "0" to "1" and beyond "1", there is not much change to my ears. The tone remains from "1" all the way up to "10". That is how my PRS sounds.

Do you think the tone pod is defective? That is my suspicion. It is $16 on the PRS web site so rather than sending the guitar out for warranty evaluation, I would just buy a new one and see how it changes the tone. Or, since I live 90 min from their factory, I could hand carry the guitar and have a tour as well. hahaha.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

...since I live 90 min from their factory, I could hand carry the guitar and have a tour as well....

^ This! ^
Dude, if I lived that close, I would go there as often as possible. :cool:

Hello,

My strat sounds pretty good through this amp but my PRS sounds very warm. Almost way too warm and muted. The top three strings (D, A and E) are especially muted as if the tone pod is set half way down or more. I changed the strings to a new set but that did not change the tone at all.

I assume pod = pot.

Why not just adjust the amp EQ to suit the PRS? You can always use markers to show your Strat settings.

If your sound is already warm, why are you turning the tone down anyway?

^ This! ^
Dude, if I lived that close, I would go there as often as possible. :cool:

hahaha! that would empty my bank account pretty quickly!

I assume pod = pot.

Why not just adjust the amp EQ to suit the PRS? You can always use markers to show your Strat settings.

If your sound is already warm, why are you turning the tone down anyway?

Sorry, yes I meant "pot". I have been using an iPod too many years :)

I did not mention that I have tried to clean up the tone by the amp with no success. It still sounds muddy to me.

I was just saying that the tone pot adjustment would not respond linearly and change the tone much beyond "1".

A friend of mine got a SE just two days ago, so I shall compare the two.

Thanks for your response.

Set the amp to suit the guitar. Unless you acquire an amp solution that is guitar neutral, you have to tone tweak. IMO, a Blues Junior is not that amp. Twist the knobs and let a humbucker be itself.

Pots are sometimes defective, or go bad/get damaged while hanging in a store.

While a humbucker can have less brightness than a single coil pickup, PRS tone pots are usually very good and useful, and don’t sound the same all through their range.

I’d have PRS take a look at it, since it’s under warranty. Guitar potentiometers are cheap and cheerful things, even the good ones.

hahaha! that would empty my bank account pretty quickly!

I was just saying that the tone pot adjustment would not respond linearly and change the tone much beyond "1".

A friend of mine got a SE just two days ago, so I shall compare the two.

Thanks for your response.

Yes do exactly that!

If its different, then do what LSchefman said.

Good luck

Bro, you’re not walking up to the gate and getting into the factory. Try your friend’s and then take it to your dealer if it’s not right.

Back