CE 24 Static Noise Issue

Christian71

Good morning Forum Members!

I am hoping somebody has the miracle cure for my problem. I am the proud (original) owner of a 2017 CE 24 Reclaimed Limited Edition. I absolutely LOVE the look, feel and playability of this instrument.....it is my favorite guitar to play. Unfortunately this guitar is plagued with a static noise issue that I have not been able to remedy. Here is a video with the noise I am referring to:

The guitar went back to PRS a few years ago and they replaced the pickups and all of the electronics. That did not fix it. I have tried several other remedies to no avail.

I have installed a humidifier that keeps humidity above 40% in the winter months. I have tried different strings - coated and uncoated. I have taken it to a few well regarded techs and they do not have a solution either. I do plan on replacing the bridge with a 2000NOS Mann......but I doubt that will solve my problem either.

If anybody has any ideas as to what might help.....please let me know. I am willing to try almost anything.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Static is always a grounding issue...even when it's just touching a couch or a person - it is built-up charge looking to find a way to ground.

For some folks, static buildup is worse in the winter, since air is drier inside the house and clothing brushes against the guitar creating static. Some fix this issue by rubbing an anti-static dryer sheet on the finish. This is a bigger issue on nitro finishes - it is a well-known complaint among newer nitro Gibsons.

If it were my guitar, I would remove the controls and shield the control cavity with 4-5 coats of shielding paint and the cavity cover with copper tape. Make sure to bring the shielding paint up onto the lip of the cavity so that the shield paint contacts the copper tape when closed. That will ensure a a fully-shield Faraday Cage for the controls. I like to shield all the way through the output jack cavity, to further reduce noise. When complete, use a multimeter to test for continuity throughout the cavity, if you don't get continuity, you need to add shielding paint.

After that, reinstall your controls and test all your grounds - tremolo claw, pot cases, etc. If you find a loss of continuity, there is a break in the ground. Find the culprity and reflow it. Continuity between all of the grounds is critical.

This is a good article on the issue:
https://theguitarpages.com/how-to-get-rid-of-static-on-guitar/

Static is always a grounding issue...even when it's just touching a couch or a person - it is built-up charge looking to find a way to ground.

For some folks, static buildup is worse in the winter, since air is drier inside the house and clothing brushes against the guitar creating static. Some fix this issue by rubbing an anti-static dryer sheet on the finish. This is a bigger issue on nitro finishes - it is a well-known complaint among newer nitro Gibsons.

If it were my guitar, I would remove the controls and shield the control cavity with 4-5 coats of shielding paint and the cavity cover with copper tape. Make sure to bring the shielding paint up onto the lip of the cavity so that the shield paint contacts the copper tape when closed. That will ensure a a fully-shield Faraday Cage for the controls. I like to shield all the way through the output jack cavity, to further reduce noise. When complete, use a multimeter to test for continuity throughout the cavity, if you don't get continuity, you need to add shielding paint.

After that, reinstall your controls and test all your grounds - tremolo claw, pot cases, etc. If you find a loss of continuity, there is a break in the ground. Find the culprity and reflow it. Continuity between all of the grounds is critical.

This is a good article on the issue:
https://theguitarpages.com/how-to-get-rid-of-static-on-guitar/
Thanks Erick! I have considered shielding. After exhaustive research on the matter, it doesnt seem like that would help. Shielding is really only going to block EMI/RFI.....it will not 'fix' improper grounding. I have to assume the guitar is properly grounded after sending it back to PRS and having them replace all electronics and pickups.

I used to use the "dryer sheet' method on the neck and body and that helped. I no longer have issues with static noise when touching back of neck or the body. It comes from strings/bridge/etc. And there is a high noise level when the guitar is plugged into amp with nothing else on. The other guitars I own are dead silent through the exact same rig.

Back