CE 24 semi-hollow arrived...

markd21

....and all I can say is Yikes!!! I'll need to do pictures tomorrow because I worked late. But the quick review is that it is the PRS Tele I have always wanted. I bought it for the single coil tones and they do not disappoint.

This weekend I am going to do video shootout of all my PRS' in the single coil mode to demonstrate the twang factor. Some will dig, some won't get it...but I think it will be cool resource for those wanting to hear the different pickups split/tapped.

Awesome! I’m really looking forward to that comparison video, a very needed video in my opinion. I am hoping a Paul’s guitar will be included but I think you said you sold yours.

Very nice! My SW guy says mine should be in either this month or next month. I'm super excited. I already have an '03 CE24, which I put 85/15s in, and it can do some pretty convincing Tele-esque tones when split. Can't wait til mine comes in!

Awesome! I’m really looking forward to that comparison video, a very needed video in my opinion. I am hoping a Paul’s guitar will be included but I think you said you sold yours.

Andrew, a Paul's Guitar WILL be included!! I bought another one, lol. It's not a TCI version which I know a lot of people are dying to hear, though.

Anyway, here's what will be in the single coil video, and I thought hard about this because not all the PRS' I have available do "individual" single coil tones - but some people will still be curious about those sounds on the twin HB guitars with the 5 way blade.

Brent Mason (408N/305 pickups)
OG Paul's Guitar (408N pickups)
DGT (Grissom pickups)
SC245 57/08LTD (OG 57/08 plain top pickups)
CU22 WL (58/15LT pickups)
CE-24 SH (85/15 pickups)
P-22 (57/08 squabbin pickups)
EG3 (SD Jimi Hendrix pickups - meh, originally came with Duncans, so....)
S2 Studio (Starla, double D-types)
S2 Vela (Starla, D-type) * Note....the comparison between the Vela and Studio will interesting. Same pickups, but totally different guitars....
S2 Standard SInglecut (#7)

I am going to demonstrate the single coil tones in three ways:

1. SUPER clean and sparkly
2. With just enough hair to emphasize pick attack
3. With a slight drive to get you into that attack dependent blues territory

I m kind of pumped. It's probably going to be a LONG video, but one that I think will be helpful to people who appreciate/need/use single coil tones but don't want to go straight to, say, a Silver Sky (or S-type) guitar. Not that there is anything WRONG with that, if it's your color of choice. Just for some of us, it doesn't work. Shoot, I love my EG3, and it's the best S-type I have ever played, but I REALLY need to have to have a need for that "tone" before I grab it. It's a color in the palette and nothing more.

Anyway, pics tonight if I can get out of work early enough, and the wife isn't using the lighting rig for a live chat (she does Disney Vlogging and often Thursday nights are her Live Chats, but she hasn't said anything, so.....). Video shoot on Saturday/Sunday. Then editing it together.....yikes!

I am very psyched about this video! Take your time with it no rush, please be thorough. This is a much-needed video. Sounds like you’re going to break it up nice between the clean tones to dirty. On a selfish note I’m really interested in the clean tones. I’m glad the Paul’s Guitar will be original without TCI. Would be nice also have TCI but I think that would be a video in and of itself 408 narrow field Versus TCI.

Thanks in advance.

Awesome! can't wait to see this as well. So I've owned my CE 24 for over a year now and i freaking love it. I am in split coil about 50% of the time my band is jamming. I love the sound of the CE in split coil - especially the middle position. you get some great sort of strat tones. But when I saw the SH CE-24 I ALMOST listed my guitar for sale and ordered one. I love my guitar but I still consider it sometimes. (I don't think I want two CE's???)

Anyway - looking forward to the video. Lets see some pics in the meantime. :)

Andrew, a Paul's Guitar WILL be included!! I bought another one, lol. It's not a TCI version which I know a lot of people are dying to hear, though.

Anyway, here's what will be in the single coil video, and I thought hard about this because not all the PRS' I have available do "individual" single coil tones - but some people will still be curious about those sounds on the twin HB guitars with the 5 way blade.

DGT (Grissom pickups)
CE-24 SH (85/15 pickups)
S2 Vela (Starla, D-type) * Note....the comparison between the Vela and Studio will interesting. Same pickups, but totally different guitars....

I m kind of pumped. It's probably going to be a LONG video, but one that I think will be helpful to people who appreciate/need/use single coil tones but don't want to go straight to, say, a Silver Sky (or S-type) guitar. Not that there is anything WRONG with that, if it's your color of choice. Just for some of us, it doesn't work. Shoot, I love my EG3, and it's the best S-type I have ever played, but I REALLY need to have to have a need for that "tone" before I grab it. It's a color in the palette and nothing more.

Anyway, pics tonight if I can get out of work early enough, and the wife isn't using the lighting rig for a live chat (she does Disney Vlogging and often Thursday nights are her Live Chats, but she hasn't said anything, so.....). Video shoot on Saturday/Sunday. Then editing it together.....yikes!

Hot Damn! Definitely can't wait to see this video!

DGT (Grissom pickups)
CE-24 SH (85/15 pickups)

This will be must see TV! Er, video! :)

I am glad so many of you are interested in the video. I am pretty excited, and I think that'll it will help a lot of people who have pickup questions. Sadly, I don't have EVERYTHING in order to cover ALL guitars, but there's enough there.

One of my biggest issues on finding out info on PRS guitars is the "lack" of information. I already know they look killer. I already know they play killer. I already know they are built AMAZINGLY. When it comes time to "hear" one in a demo, I am usually left wondering if the guitar will actually do what I need it to do. Will it ROCK - yeah, obviously....that's the easiest thing to get a HB loaded guitar to do. Will it play the blues? Well, of course - again it's easy to take a guitar and "play" the blues - it's more about the feel of the player. Can it play "clean"? Yeah, of course, but not much time is spent on showing that some of the clean sounds are REALLY useable. And, as I move more and more away from using saturated amps, the clean sound is getting more and more important.

SO, I am hoping people will stumble across this video, learn about the different pickups and then understand what else these guitars can do. One thing I am NOT doing in the video is activating ANY Humbuckers. It's gonna be like the guitars are ONLY equipped with singles, lol. That'll be tough because, man, do those pickups sing and scream in HB mode, lol!!

I think it's a fantastic idea. So often a lot of the videos we see are extremely processed or the tone of the guitar is drowned in effects. Give me some clean, splits and a bit of drive to round it out and that's what I love to see.

Really can't wait to see this video of Splits!

....and all I can say is Yikes!!! I'll need to do pictures tomorrow because I worked late. But the quick review is that it is the PRS Tele I have always wanted. I bought it for the single coil tones and they do not disappoint.

Really? I would never have conflated a CE SH with a Tele! I'll look forward to the video :)

Really? I would never have conflated a CE SH with a Tele! I'll look forward to the video :)

Yeah, I think it's all relative to how one uses a Tele. I have played some that are anemic and ultra thin. I tend to prefer 52-64 Teles. Those bridge pickups have some snarl when you dig in. Even then, I m usually even then specifically thinking of Esquires, not 2 pickup teles….so it's a different thing all together, lol.

But, anyway, that CE24SH gets me the snarl and snap my Esquire does and that makes me a VERY happy man!!

Yeah, I think it's all relative to how one uses a Tele. I have played some that are anemic and ultra thin. I tend to prefer 52-64 Teles. Those bridge pickups have some snarl when you dig in. Even then, I m usually even then specifically thinking of Esquires, not 2 pickup teles….so it's a different thing all together, lol.

But, anyway, that CE24SH gets me the snarl and snap my Esquire does and that makes me a VERY happy man!!

I'm glad to hear it.
I was playing both my CE24SH and Tele yesterday. My tele is what you describe as ultra thin (classic spec). I suppose that's why I couldn't make the connection.

I love to hear other players perspective on sound. Its like a community barometer :)

Back