CE-22 Wide thin neck?

gemyneye

So many guitars, not enough time
Hi those in the know,
So I have a CE-22 with bird inlays which I know isn't that common, but it says WF on the tag, but I've played a lot of Wide Fat and my CE-22 feels a LOT more like a wide thin akin to my CU24 or CE-24. Is that possible?

Also, the tone knob is loose and has gotten to the point where it falls off. Is this hard to fix? Thanks!

I don't have a lot of playing time on a Wide/Thin or Pattern Thin, but from what I recall, there isn't a great deal of difference between the Wide/Thin and the Wide/Fat.

As for the tone knob, you can use a teaspoon or butterknife to split the shaft apart a little more to keep the knob on.

The wide thin neck was definitely available on the CE22, I guess it’s possible that the tag is wrong but it’s pretty unlikely. Also possible but not likely is that a previous owner swapped the neck.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of playing time on a Wide/Thin or Pattern Thin, but from what I recall, there isn't a great deal of difference between the Wide/Thin and the Wide/Fat.

As for the tone knob, you can use a teaspoon or butterknife to split the shaft apart a little more to keep the knob on.
Thank you I will give it a shot.

The wide thin neck was definitely available on the CE22, I guess it’s possible that the tag is wrong but it’s pretty unlikely. Also possible but not likely is that a previous owner swapped the neck.
Thank you. I actually bought it new. I suppose back then there could be very little difference between the fat and thin.

I sold PRS guitars for years (1996-2012), and while the wide thin was certainly no Ibanez shredder neck, it was noticeably thinner than the wide fat neck, enough for me to know as soon as I picked one up which neck it had. Maybe the tag is wrong, or maybe you just got a thinner wide fat than normal. The necks were shaped by hand after all so it’s possible.

I sold PRS guitars for years (1996-2012), and while the wide thin was certainly no Ibanez shredder neck, it was noticeably thinner than the wide fat neck, enough for me to know as soon as I picked one up which neck it had. Maybe the tag is wrong, or maybe you just got a thinner wide fat than normal. The necks were shaped by hand after all so it’s possible.
I may have gotten lucky. It is very close to my other thins. Thanks!

I've played a lot of both W/F and W/T and the difference is always noticeable to me. Probably because I do not like W/F but do like the W/T. I've never heard of a CE-22 with a W/T, but anything is possible. There is definitely variation among W/Ts, as well as among W/Fs, but I have not experienced any overlap between the 2 carves.

Regarding the pot, be careful not to snap the shaft when putting pressure on it. Another quick cheap fix I've done for the same issue is to wrap some teflon or similar tape around the shaft. I used that on a push-pull pot and it worked fine.

I've played a lot of both W/F and W/T and the difference is always noticeable to me. Probably because I do not like W/F but do like the W/T. I've never heard of a CE-22 with a W/T, but anything is possible. There is definitely variation among W/Ts, as well as among W/Fs, but I have not experienced any overlap between the 2 carves.

Regarding the pot, be careful not to snap the shaft when putting pressure on it. Another quick cheap fix I've done for the same issue is to wrap some teflon or similar tape around the shaft. I used that on a push-pull pot and it worked fine.
Thanks you! I thought about buying the tools to measure but don’t really want to.
I’ll see what I can do to that knob. Thanks!

Back