CE 22 OX4 Pickup Swap

After the swap..
337027859_749543173465855_7698643963196070241_n.jpg

You kept the rotary switch? How do all the pickup combos sound? As good as before?
They sound great. The magnet orientation on the OX4's was different than the Dragons. The screw coils were both the same. I had to reverse the hot and ground on the bridge pickup to get the single coil settings in phase. I'm not sure they are hum canceling now but the output is about the same as before. I like the OX4s much better!

They sound great. The magnet orientation on the OX4's was different than the Dragons. The screw coils were both the same. I had to reverse the hot and ground on the bridge pickup to get the single coil settings in phase. I'm not sure they are hum canceling now but the output is about the same as before. I like the OX4s much better!
You need one pickup to be reversed electrically and reversed magnetically to get humcabcelling when the two screw coils are combined in series. That would be the #3 setting on the switch. Makes a sound like a middle humbucker, although there is no middle humbucker...obviously!

Last edited:
Nice! Tortoise Shell is a great OG color. So was Root Beer. I could never tell them apart.:)
Glad to see you sorted out the tuners. That first pic…well…that’s a first.:oops::p:D
Yeah. I took that pick just after unpacking. This is my first PRS with these style tuners. I had to research how to use them lol

I've got a set of Jimmy Page OX4s sitting in a box, waiting for a guitar.

What should I buy?
I'd look for a Korean made SE Singlecut. Look for one with a colored top...like black.

They seem to resonate slightly better than the flame top ones that have a thin flame top glued over a plain maple top.

Less glue, less layers, less tone loss.

Or so they say.

I'd look for a Korean made SE Singlecut. Look for one with a colored top...like black.

They seem to resonate slightly better than the flame top ones that have a thin flame top glued over a plain maple top.

Less glue, less layers, less tone loss.

Or so they say.
Why would someone drop in pickups worth more than the guitar? All for modcentral on a SE.. but these are special pickups. My first advice wouldn't be get an SE.

Why would someone drop in pickups worth more than the guitar? All for modcentral on a SE.. but these are special pickups. My first advice wouldn't be get an SE.
I'd consider a used S2 594 like this:

But S2 594s are getting close to what I paid for a new Gibson LP Standard in 2019.

I'd consider a used S2 594 like this:

But S2 594s are getting close to what I paid for a new Gibson LP Standard in 2019.
Be patient they can be had for around half that. I wouldn't pay those prices either. Used core territory.

Huge SD fan here.. but SD and OX4 are two different classes of pickups.

I wouldn't choose an SE for OX4 and that's nothing against an SE. But slap some SDs in all day long and have fun!
I am humbled...NOT!

It's a great guitar. As deserving of great pickups as any Core model I own.

But I am curious now about the OX4 pickups. I'd like to try them!

I'm a pickup junkie. Always have been. Onto the next. even better, thing!

I really like the Duncan Antiquitys Mj in the Duncan Custom Shop has wound for me.

Roughcast alnico 2 magnets.

Great for everything from soaring Rock Anthem solos to British Blues or Allman Brothers Blues.

Last edited:
Back