CE 22 OX4 Pickup Swap

Nozzle28

I just purchased a set of OX4 low winds to replace the Dragon I's in my '97 CE 22. Does anyone have any experience with OX4s in a PRS? I'm really looking forward to the open airy sound of unpotted humbuckers. The Dragons sound good but not the tone I'm looking for...

I just purchased a set of OX4 low winds to replace the Dragon I's in my '97 CE 22. Does anyone have any experience with OX4s in a PRS? I'm really looking forward to the open airy sound of unpotted humbuckers. The Dragons sound good but not the tone I'm looking for...
Looked that UK pickup maker up online. Looks like a nice paf style pickup.

What magnet did you choose? Alnico 2, 3, 4 or 5?

I tend to like alnico 2, but have some paf style pickups with alnico 4 too.

I love those original Dragon pickups and the neck pickup has some similarities with a alnico 4 paf.

The bridge Dragon is NOT vintage but sounds fabulous for overdriven, saturated rock tones. Santana, Gary Moore, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson,

Great for those soring, melodic, anthem type rock solos.

I have the Dragons and the original rotary switches in a pair CE-22's.

But I swapped the Dragons in my '95 CU-22 for something different: Duncan Antiquitys. Alnico 2. Vintage 50's tone.

I like the clearer, lower output. It's a more transparent vintage tone but it still rocks, and still like to hear that sound.

I have the Dragon pickups and rotator switch in the case.

You really need two guitars. One with Dragon 1's and one with pafs.

Last edited:
Looked that UK pickup maker up online. Looks like a nice profuct.

What magnet did you choose? Alnico 2, 3, 4 or 5?

I love those original Dragon pickups and the neck pickup has some similarities with a paf.

The bridge Dragon is fabulous for soaring, overdriven, saturated rock tones. Santana, Gary Moore, Steve Vai...

Great for those melodic anthem like rock solos.

I have the Dragons and original rotary switches in a pair CE-22's.

My '95 CU-22 has paf style pickups. Duncan Antiquitys. Alnico 2.

I like the clearer, lower output, , more transparent vintage tone too and want to hear it sometimes.

You really need two guitars. One with Dragon 1's and one with pafs.
I went with Alnico 4's. You are correct about the Dragon neck pickup. It sounded really good. I almost just replaced the bridge humbucker. I didn't care for the compression and the high output. It did have a great saturated overdrive. Just not my style.

I went with Alnico 4's. You are correct about the Dragon neck pickup. It sounded really good. I almost just replaced the bridge humbucker. I didn't care for the compression and the high output. It did have a great saturated overdrive. Just not my style.
Yep. That's why I swapped the Dragons for Antiquitys soon after acquiring my '95 CU-22.

At the time I only had one guitar and I wanted that vintage sound of a '59 Les Paul.

Recently I picked up up a pair of 90's CE-22's with the same Dragons I replaced in my CU22.

Discovered that I love that Dragon 1 sound...as long as it's not my ONLY sound.

Could be worse “gear heads anonymous”.
Not sure if it could ;) Usually new gear like that starts a chain reaction. I will use Synergy to add the modern high-gain channel to my Fillmore. Therefore, I will need a decent noise gate, more cables, considering EQ, a small midi switcher and relay interfaces to keep the amp and preamp in... Well, synergy o_O

I'm such a dirty gear slut

Here is a pic of my '97 before the swap.
322867888_1474630403061622_6732480133289261042_n.jpg

Back