CDs, MP3s, and the never ending story ...

How streamlined is your music listening game?

• Digital downloaded music only (MP3s,etc)

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Digital downloaded music and CDs (both used regularly)

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • CDs only (Old skool baby!!)

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Vinyl (for the purists)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • A mad unorganized conglomeration of CDs, MP3s, and whatever that I'm too lazy to get sorted.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Streaming (I have the attention span of a gnat)

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
I stream nothing.
I have a turntable and about 700 albums
CD player and about 1200 CDs
All CDs ripped, and thousands of other MP3s.
I do still have a functioning cassette deck but am down to about 20 functioning tapes and have them all on CD so I never listen.
DUMBFOUNDED that my newest car has no CD player and I have to A) plug my phone into one USB port and B) plug a USB storage device into the other, to listen to my music.
I do have XM, and like it, but it’s low res and it shows compared to the other formats.
My old car has both USB plugs and a multi CD player, AND has Mercury’s “Audiophile Stereo System.” It really is pretty good for a car stereo. Kicks the living crap out of the stereo in the Camaro. Embarrassingly so. Camaro still more fun to drive.
Oh, I forgot how archaic the fun car is, audio-wise. Embarrassingly so. :oops: The CD changer died long ago and the replacement is stupid-expensive, so I added the cassette adapter thing so I can plug it into the headphone jack on my phone. Guess whose phone doesn’t have a headphone jack anymore? :mad: But since I employ 2-85 A/C most of the time (‘cause 2-65 is for grandpas), audio sound quality is moot. But at sometime, I’m gonna have to fix that problem, plus, Mrs. B does not appreciate the hairstyle-destroying tendencies of 2-85 A/C, so this Spring may bring the necessity to correct this issue. But damn, it still looks pretty darned good!

I have/had a large iTunes library - most of which came from ripping CDs 20 years ago or so. But then I added dozens of albums bought from iTunes. But now i'm an apple music subscriber and have uploaded my entire library to the cloud and stream everything (saves a ton of space on my phone.) So I play almost all music from my phone now -plugged in directly into a stereo on occasion - but generally via bluetooth to a Bose speaker. (soon to be Sonus - bought my wife a few speakers for Christmas)

Last edited:
JBL LSR 308's, iMac, Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 (will need to replace once Apple releases its next significant OS), Grado/Alessandro entry level headphones, iTunes acquired from amazon.com downloads (transferable on Macs, it used to be Apple Music was not transferrable, things may have changed since). Also uploaded CDs to iTunes via Mac SuperDrive, with acquired artwork from amazon.

Listen to iTunes via Saffire PRO 40 and JBLs, headphones, or room bookshelf speakers via stereo receiver (bookshelf speakers not visible)

Spent the better part of last night updating my iTunes artwork. Also enjoyed some wine and cheese (yup, honest).

yTKCITN.jpg

TGcp8Oi.jpg

What I think is sad, is that there is a generation now that only listens to songs via phone/Alexa and don’t really know how they are supposed to sound through a decent amp and set of speakers.
^^^^ This!
My granddaughter actually didn't know what a CD is! :eek: I bought my wife Sheryl Crow's new album on CD for her birthday a couple months ago. My granddaughter asked what it was.

Back to the poll. I answered #5, the "mad ...conglomeration" but I also on occasion play vinyl and am increasingly moving back to it. On a recent trip to Maine we found a huge vinyl store! That's all they sell. I grabbed quite a few but probably my prize was Lightening Hopkins "Texas Blues Man".

Oh, I forgot how archaic the fun car is, audio-wise. Embarrassingly so. :oops: The CD changer died long ago and the replacement is stupid-expensive, so I added the cassette adapter thing so I can plug it into the headphone jack on my phone. Guess whose phone doesn’t have a headphone jack anymore? :mad: But since I employ 2-85 A/C most of the time (‘cause 2-65 is for grandpas), audio sound quality is moot. But at sometime, I’m gonna have to fix that problem, plus, Mrs. B does not appreciate the hairstyle-destroying tendencies of 2-85 A/C, so this Spring may bring the necessity to correct this issue. But damn, it still looks pretty darned good!
Fidelity doesn't have to go completely "out the window" with the 2-85, it just takes what you should be using anyway... MORE VOLUME! :D

We had a 40th reunion a few weeks ago and one of my buddies was telling the story about my Firebird convertible. Top down, two pairs of Pioneer 6x9 speakers, two power amps, swears he heard me coming a mile away one night while I had "Double Live Gonzo" playing. :cool:

I listen to most everything on my phone. I do still occasionally buy a cd if I really love the artist/album. Only listen to CD’s on my CD player every once in awhile. I do load CDs on iTunes if not available in Apple Music. It’s just convenience and storage space that factor in for me.

I don't have much experience in this field either, but I got my IT friend. I suppose everyone's got that intelligent friend that works in the IT field, right, haha? Anyway, I remember he told me to use this one https://convertr.org/ whenever I want to convert something as it's really easy to use, and most of the time, you don't have any problem with it. Also, you should check if there are any youtube videos regarding this type of conversion. I'm sure you'll find something useful. Hopefully, I helped you :)

Last edited:
I finally got rid of a whole bag full (large bag) of self recorded cassettes. Copied most of my albums when new so I could listen to tunes in my van (70's), then on my Goldwing (80's) & in the boat skiing and tubing/cruising the lakes. Then converted to CDs but still kept the albums and turntable (it's over 40 years old now but I'm on my 4th sound system since the old Yamaha 410). Now I listen mostly to the turntable in the living room, i-pod on the latest Goldwing (no "car play" thanks), and CD in the truck. All my Bonamassa is vinyl and some select remastered LPs. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but there is still a difference in a good clean vinyl record (some opinions will vary) to me. I do use my tablet as a plug-in for play-along and/or backing tracks (my room is too small for anything larger, although I'd love to get into mixing my own tracks), but there's only so much time to devote and money to splurge away. I really want another (3rd) track bike, and well, guitars are always doing the finger in the cheek pull trick depending on how busy I don't get at my desk...freaking internet access is baaaad for you (me?). So I guess the choices on the poll don't cover the real soundscape for me.

Fixed gear on a banked oval?
Or motored on a fast track?

I ride a Honda RC51 on paved road course/race tracks. Old, heavy and slow by todays superbike standards, kinda like me LOL. Want a ~300cc class (Moto3-ish, KTM 390 etc) ride to supplement the 1000. It's too far for me to get to Shannonville, Bowmanville, COTA, or Laguna, although Laguna is a possibility in June (if I want to get divorced... she wants to go to PEI). I do enjoy Area 27 in BC, and the new private course just north of Calgary is due to open next spring. Our three Edmonton area tracks are decent enough, but us track junkies always want more.
Sorry if this got a bit pear shaped, but it pushed my button.

I ride a Honda RC51 on paved road course/race tracks. Old, heavy and slow by todays superbike standards, kinda like me LOL. Want a ~300cc class (Moto3-ish, KTM 390 etc) ride to supplement the 1000. It's too far for me to get to Shannonville, Bowmanville, COTA, or Laguna, although Laguna is a possibility in June (if I want to get divorced... she wants to go to PEI). I do enjoy Area 27 in BC, and the new private course just north of Calgary is due to open next spring. Our three Edmonton area tracks are decent enough, but us track junkies always want more.
Sorry if this got a bit pear shaped, but it pushed my button.
Fireblade rider here (and fixie bicycle).
I haven’t been to any western tracks. Huge fan of Barber and Watkins Glen.

I am old, old school. I have a plethora of stereo gear I use every day. Old tube amps and tube preamps. And of course vinyl I buy records regularly (not sure how many albums I have let's just say quite a few).
I have a cd collection of 5000 and a "CD ROOM" to store it in (along with some guitars and amps.)

I HATE streaming music I hate XM radio I hate the fact that the big corporate music industries refuse to play any new music. I order quite a bit of vinyl from other countries. It seems some things are just easier to get from abroad.

I have Reel to Reel tape and of corse cassette and 8 track in fact the 8 track deck in my 1979 Trans am still works and friends constantly give me orphan 8 track tapes they find. I have very extensive stereos in all of my homes. I do not have cable T.V. or any type of paid T.V. I spend my time either listening to music or with a guitar in my hands.

I I also hate the fact that all you get in new cars is a radio or a choice of XM radio. Give me a good ol' CD player or cassette deck any day.

Old or new Camaro ? Just curious.

I stream nothing.
I have a turntable and about 700 albums
CD player and about 1200 CDs
All CDs ripped, and thousands of other MP3s.
I do still have a functioning cassette deck but am down to about 20 functioning tapes and have them all on CD so I never listen.
DUMBFOUNDED that my newest car has no CD player and I have to A) plug my phone into one USB port and B) plug a USB storage device into the other, to listen to my music.
I do have XM, and like it, but it’s low res and it shows compared to the other formats.
My old car has both USB plugs and a multi CD player, AND has Mercury’s “Audiophile Stereo System.” It really is pretty good for a car stereo. Kicks the living crap out of the stereo in the Camaro. Embarrassingly so. Camaro still more fun to drive.

I have a huge music collection that started with cassette tapes and evolved to CDs. I still buy CDs. I love have music in a physical form. But when it comes to listening it's 95% Spotify streaming for the past 2,5 years. I guess the reason is that I just can't be bothered ripping my CDs to digital format then transfering them to my phone anymore. With Spotify I also find it easier to throw a playlist together depending on my mood. I like the ease of having access to my Spotify profile whether I'm on my phone, pc or even on PlayStation. On the other hand I hate the way Spotify handles royalty payments with artists which is another reason why I'll continue to support the artists I like by purchasing their CDs and merchandise.

Back