Case Thoughts...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Duncan, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan DGT Player

You know what? I'd be okay if PRS offered ANY model in a gigbag instead of a hardshell case. I currently have a Core guitar on order and would be just fine taking delivery in a gigbag. Include it in the base price - you want a bag or a case?

I don't think I've taken a guitar out of my house in YEARS in a case.

That, and it's like my house has been overtaken by guitar cases.

Just a thought.

2. heartcall

heartcall New Member

My Artist series came with a case... it's a BEAST to lug around. I know some would give me grief for using a PRS Gigbag... but I think I would prefer that actually!

Mike Duncan likes this.
  3. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

I keep most of mine in their cases. I transfer my gigging guitars to these (which offer better protection than a gig bag):

[​IMG]

So, I like the hardshell case offered with the guitars.

#3 11top, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    LSchefman likes this.
  4. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I’m with @11top I keep mine in hard cases, but haven’t yet been brave enough to go down the gig bag route!

Maybe one day!

LSchefman likes this.
  5. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

When not traveling, mine stay on a Hercules Multi-guitar stand. When traveling, I use a Gator Transit gig bag. Kinda like a Mono, but a fair bit cheaper

6. Dirty_Boogie

Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

I always pop my McCarty in my SE gig bag when I head out the house. And then you get the "Is that an SE?" when you take it out the case. :cool:

Bill SAS 513 and Alnus Rubra like this.
  7. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan DGT Player

Remember, I think it should be an option. Not a mandatory, just an option. For me the hard case is just in the way. My guitars all live outside of their cases.

I’ve got an SE bag, which is great, and an InCase bag...the InCase “bag” is the BOMB!! Love that thing.

LSchefman likes this.
  8. garrett

garrett Lurkin'

We have company visiting for the weekend. The guitars stay in the spare bedroom so I pack them up when visitors come. No lie, my CU22 is under the bed in a gig bag on top of the empty case right now.

9. Telemesa

Telemesa New Member

I prefer a hard case but I'd like PRS to offer guitar shaped cases simply because they're easier to maneuver in tight places and for going up and down stairs.

LSchefman likes this.
  10. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

unless they’re heavy flight cases, i never cared about a case for an electric. i had a fender reissue in one of those vintage twill cases and the damn thing wouldnt open enough to stay open, like the hood of an old datsun. cats loved it though, almost as much as the cane grill on a matchless chieftain.

strat63, Alnus Rubra and Dirty_Boogie like this.
  11. Darkho

Darkho New Member

I like bigbag, easy to put it on my back when I go to my guitar lessons ^^
    As I will never travel with my guitar I don't need a case. And when I'm at home I like to watch it on it support.

12. gush

gush I'm not a new member!!!!

I will not take guitars out of the house without the case. I have the absolute worst luck and I won’t risk it.

Sounds like we have a used case outlet going on here.

LSchefman and Alnus Rubra like this.
  13. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Gig bags are fine by me. They take up less space in the storage locker. Of course, that means more guitars!

gush, Darkho, Mike Duncan and 2 others like this.
  14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I keep mine in cases when they’re not being played, but I used the leather gig bag PRS used to offer to take even my best guitars to nearby sessions without worry, and before that had very good luck with Reunion Blues leather bags.

gush and 11top like this.
  15. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

LSchefman likes this.
  16. merciful-evans

merciful-evans Portsmouth uk

Ideally I would always prefer a good case. Trouble is, bad (or ill fitting) cases can be dangerous & risk damage to the guitar.

The problem with multiple guitars, is hard cases take up lots of room. For the time being I am keeping the PRSs in gig bags

17. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

So I’ve read from some that space is an issue. What about the BOXES? I keep these as well. Fortunately, I have an office building which accommodates them, but it’s no doubt a fire hazard. I’m not talking one or two.

vchizzle, ScottR and LSchefman like this.
  18. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Funny you should mention this; I don’t have a 30th of the guitars you do, but I accumulated a bunch of guitar and amp shipping boxes somehow that I began to realize are a fire hazard, as well as space-hogs.

So I decided to save only the amp-head boxes, in case factory repairs are needed, and save only a couple of guitar shipping boxes for similar purposes. I figure needing to ship more than one or two guitars at a time isn’t going to happen, and the cabinets are things I can repair myself, if need be.

Anyway, I’m in the process of clearing out as much of that junk as I can, trying not to be my usual pack-rat self.

vchizzle, ScottR, gush and 2 others like this.
  19. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I am a box hoarder...:oops:

markie and ScottR like this.
  20. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

I have both bag and box for my PRS and actually prefer the case. I tend to rush through doors and whatever I am carrying gets stuck in the door. So I want that little extra protection for the neck, that a bag just doesn't have. It's rare right now that I go anywhere with my guitars, so the cases are currently under the piano.