Case Thoughts...

Mike Duncan

DGT Player
You know what? I'd be okay if PRS offered ANY model in a gigbag instead of a hardshell case. I currently have a Core guitar on order and would be just fine taking delivery in a gigbag. Include it in the base price - you want a bag or a case?

I don't think I've taken a guitar out of my house in YEARS in a case.

That, and it's like my house has been overtaken by guitar cases.

Just a thought.

My Artist series came with a case... it's a BEAST to lug around. I know some would give me grief for using a PRS Gigbag... but I think I would prefer that actually!

I keep most of mine in their cases. I transfer my gigging guitars to these (which offer better protection than a gig bag):

So, I like the hardshell case offered with the guitars.

Last edited:
When not traveling, mine stay on a Hercules Multi-guitar stand. When traveling, I use a Gator Transit gig bag. Kinda like a Mono, but a fair bit cheaper

Remember, I think it should be an option. Not a mandatory, just an option. For me the hard case is just in the way. My guitars all live outside of their cases.

I’ve got an SE bag, which is great, and an InCase bag...the InCase “bag” is the BOMB!! Love that thing.

You know what? I'd be okay if PRS offered ANY model in a gigbag instead of a hardshell case. I currently have a Core guitar on order and would be just fine taking delivery in a gigbag. Include it in the base price - you want a bag or a case?

I don't think I've taken a guitar out of my house in YEARS in a case.

That, and it's like my house has been overtaken by guitar cases.

Just a thought.
I prefer a hard case but I'd like PRS to offer guitar shaped cases simply because they're easier to maneuver in tight places and for going up and down stairs.

unless they’re heavy flight cases, i never cared about a case for an electric. i had a fender reissue in one of those vintage twill cases and the damn thing wouldnt open enough to stay open, like the hood of an old datsun. cats loved it though, almost as much as the cane grill on a matchless chieftain.

I like bigbag, easy to put it on my back when I go to my guitar lessons ^^
As I will never travel with my guitar I don't need a case. And when I'm at home I like to watch it on it support.

I keep mine in cases when they’re not being played, but I used the leather gig bag PRS used to offer to take even my best guitars to nearby sessions without worry, and before that had very good luck with Reunion Blues leather bags.

Ideally I would always prefer a good case. Trouble is, bad (or ill fitting) cases can be dangerous & risk damage to the guitar.

The problem with multiple guitars, is hard cases take up lots of room. For the time being I am keeping the PRSs in gig bags

So I’ve read from some that space is an issue. What about the BOXES? I keep these as well. Fortunately, I have an office building which accommodates them, but it’s no doubt a fire hazard. I’m not talking one or two.

Funny you should mention this; I don’t have a 30th of the guitars you do, but I accumulated a bunch of guitar and amp shipping boxes somehow that I began to realize are a fire hazard, as well as space-hogs.

So I decided to save only the amp-head boxes, in case factory repairs are needed, and save only a couple of guitar shipping boxes for similar purposes. I figure needing to ship more than one or two guitars at a time isn’t going to happen, and the cabinets are things I can repair myself, if need be.

Anyway, I’m in the process of clearing out as much of that junk as I can, trying not to be my usual pack-rat self.

I have both bag and box for my PRS and actually prefer the case. I tend to rush through doors and whatever I am carrying gets stuck in the door. So I want that little extra protection for the neck, that a bag just doesn't have. It's rare right now that I go anywhere with my guitars, so the cases are currently under the piano.

Back