Case sizes

kmiko

Hey all. I own a CE 24 reclaimed that came with a gig bag. I have a chance to get a hard case someone is selling used. The guitar that came with the case originally was a custom 22. My question is, will my CE 24 fit properly in that case? Unfortunately I can’t try it before hand.
Thanks!

Sensible concern. There are too many nice guitars carried in ill fitting cases. Potentially dangerous.
I hope it works out.

I happen to have the same guitar as you, I would prefer a case too. So I'm interested.

Great.

Looks like it fits with the strap still attached. Or do you need to remove it to close the case?
(mine will only come off by removing strap pins)

5LvdjRJ.jpg

I'm a fish out of water in Hawaii. Either that or they are lazy, cheap slobs out here. Virtually no one owns a hard case, they much prefer gig bags. Troubadour mentality or something, but I find it disturbing that they will trust a PRS, a Martin, or any other quality guitar to a piece of rag and foam....PRS cases are the M-1 Abrams of cases. Try hauling a McCarty, in full hard case, through DFW sometimes.. I thought my arm was going to detach....heavy.

I find it disturbing that they will trust a PRS, a Martin, or any other quality guitar to a piece of rag and foam....

I love cases. But...

I’ve flown to sessions with PRSes in the old US-made leather Reunion Blues gig bags. The leather was very thick and didn’t flex, and the foam was the much more protective closed-cell kind.

Much, much more pleasant than traveling with the hard case. I’d trust traveling with my PS guitars in one of those things, but I no longer have one, and they stopped making them.

A good gig bag is a wonderful piece of gear for short-term stuff, if you’re mindful that you have to be a tiny bit more careful.

The old Incase bags (Fender shipped their Mayer Strats in them) were every bit as protective as a hard case, if not superior to a hard case. They were heavily padded with thick closed cell foam, with protective hard plastic under the outer layer of nylon. Only a carbon fiber case that was as well padded could protect a guitar better than that bag.

I wish they still made those, too. I had one several years ago. I sold it with a guitar thinking I could get another one. But no. Only used ones, and even those are hard to find.

For long term storage, though, a wooden case is the best buffer against temperature and humidity changes, because wood is hygroscopic, and a good insulator.

However, if I had a travel project today, I’d get a Mono or Reunion Blues Continental (kind of the same idea as the Incase), or a Harvest leather bag (very heavy duty and German-made), and take a PS in it without worry.

Last edited:
Back