Carved top on the SE Tim Mahoney and Baritone?

timrocks311

When are these two guitars going to get a carved top? All the others look great with it, I'm hoping PRS updates these two models soon. Btw, the Mahoney should get a black headstock too. :)

Hoping the SE Custom Semi-Hollow gets one as well, but I could see where that would get more challenging than a solid body...

When are these two guitars going to get a carved top? All the others look great with it, I'm hoping PRS updates these two models soon. Btw, the Mahoney should get a black headstock too. :)

Tim's USA PRS has black headstock, so +1 on the black headstock. But i don't really see the point of making it with a bevelled top, it's not much difference in terms of looks, unless you're inspecting it closely :/ If they (both models mentioned above) comes with a thin Custom 24-thickness body, then the body will look skinny, especially with the back contour :/ but who knows! there may be some of you that digs them :biggrin:

But i don't really see the point of making it with a bevelled top, it's not much difference in terms of looks, unless you're inspecting it closely
I notice with a beveled top, it's more comfortable. The flat top on my baritone requires me to position my right shoulder forward a bit compared to my USA custom 22. Not much, but I notice it. That's one of the reasons the new Lowery model might be on my radar as a replacement for the baritone, whenever it starts showing up in stores.

I notice with a beveled top, it's more comfortable. The flat top on my baritone requires me to position my right shoulder forward a bit compared to my USA custom 22. Not much, but I notice it. That's one of the reasons the new Lowery model might be on my radar as a replacement for the baritone, whenever it starts showing up in stores.

I have to admit the flat top leaves ridges on my skin when i started playing it, but i eventually got around it and was able to play comfortably. Though if you're coming from a USA prs, the bevelled top could help, comfortability-wise.

This is one reason I was comfortable selling off the baritone (now John beefs) and eventually the semi hollow. The hard edge was a bit of a drag. Thankfully the Tim Mahoney has the rounded edges like the second version Allender, so it makes for a SUPER comfortable body contour. They should start incorporating that into all SE models. It's fantastic.

Back