Car Shopping: Anything Good?

Dude, love my Honda Ridgeline. First was an '08, now in a '17. Perfect truck for moms everywhere! Lots of leg/headroom (in the front seat). Lots of great safety features. AWD. Rear seats fold up for extra storage, or dogs, in my case. The best part is the full size in bed trunk. It's big enough for a body, or a few guitars. Best thing, it's got a drain plug. You can fill it with ice and load it up with spritzers for your mom's wine parties.

zRoIxVH.jpg
You're looking pretty good these days with the new hair

Is GM complete crap these days? I know they have issues as a company right now but, which ones don’t?

I can only speak for the Cadillac branch, but my problems have been minimal. The only car I had above average repair costs on was my 2010 CTS-V. Most of those were due to "user abuse" lol.

My XTS is all wheel drive and has been great. No transmission issues. Granted, I only use it in automatic mode, but still...it shifts smoothly and does its job.

I had never seen the Buick wagon until this past Sunday, and I thought it was an Audi at first quick glance. Looked really nice. If I didn't need 3 rows of seats (I have 3 teenagers, plus the wife and my father lives with me), I'd definitely consider it. I like GM products, but I don't currently own one.

If I were you, I'd look at Hyundai's. Price is pretty good, mine seems rock solid dependable, and you can load them up with features. Just make sure you either get dark cloth or leather seats with a 3 year old, preferably leather, as they spill all kinds of crap that will wipe off of leather so much easier.

Just make sure you either get dark cloth or leather seats with a 3 year old, preferably leather, as they spill all kinds of crap that will wipe off of leather so much easier.

I know... the light gray cloth backseat in my car is trashed, there’s like a 2’ in diameter stain of juice and dairy products that’ll never come out.

I hate leather seats, hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but I’m almost positive I’ll be getting them.

I had never seen the Buick wagon until this past Sunday, and I thought it was an Audi at first quick glance. Looked really nice..

I’m gonna go drive one, either to get it out of my system (and pray that it’s crap) or to further entrench my desire.

I’d never seen one either, and I don’t think Buick knows how to market these things. The only other wagons I’ve come across that compete with these are like... $60,000 cars. I used to fantasize about a Volvo wagon but, they’re damn pricey.

I recently got a 2007 Lexus GX470. Basically a toyota 4runner with a slightly bigger body, quieter ride, and a standard V8/AWD. Not great on gas, but pretty great on everything else! Also not too bad used prices.

The Jeeps and other Chrysler products we’ve had for the past 15 years never needed anything beyond the oil and fluid changes, and routine maintenance recommended in the manual. None needed a single unscheduled service. Two of them went 9 years, but I usually only keep a car for 3-4 years. I got my kids Jeeps and they didn’t have problems, either. So maybe we were lucky, or maybe not. One family isn’t exactly a scientific sampling.

My daughter has had one of those gigantic 3-rows-of-seats GMC SUVs for a few years, and hasn’t had problems. I realize that doesn’t mean a thing except to her, but it’s nice to know. She’s always on the move with her little ones plus car pools, her business, and what have you.

Our BMWs were all great, and that’s what I bought for 25 years, but they did need a lot more maintenance and the occasional repair, though I’ll admit that I drove them harder.

Before that, had a few Corvettes, and they were ultra-reliable. Also Alfas - surprisingly reliable.

I had terrible luck with the new Honda I bought my middle daughter as her first car. It was tinny. The bottom of the dashboard literally fell off onto her leg at one point, and the thing saw the shop a lot. I felt it wasn’t a very solid car, and kind of felt badly about buying it for her once I realized it was a less-than-stellar buy. Fortunately, that car was replaced with a Jeep when she went off to college, and the Jeep lasted her through college and quite a few years afterward without issues. She bought another Chrysler product for her next car, so I think she was happy with the Jeep.

With small kids, the nice thing about leather seats is that a damp cloth or at most, leather cleaner, cleans them right up. The leather also holds up well to things like kiddie car seats, guitar cases, and other nicknacks of life.

Last edited:
Back