Car Shopping: Anything Good?

So okay, real talk: Do we just buy this thing for $380 a month until Paco turns f@cking nine years old?

I’m so distraught over this. We’re throwing down 5k on it, and I don’t wanna cash in what (little) stocks I have to knock it down more.

I mean, I’m still super new at being a parent and a responsible adult (at least when it concerns other people). Do we buy this with the hopes that we can eventually make double payments in a couple years, or is that living in fantasy land?

Is this just the cost of doing business as a breeder?
I hate loans that last 6 years, but the car will easily last 10, so if the $380/month is manageable get it.

J will be happy. Paco will be safe. Win-win.

I have a 2018 CRV that I’m currently paying on.
Here’s what I found when I was shopping around,
All those safety features come standard that you have to pay extra or bump up to the highest package level to get with the other brands.
that’s a savings right there if you want those features.
Sure they can be annoying, but it’s saved me from plowing into the back of some jerk who decided to cut into my lane going much slower than the traffic.
Also as you have found, Honda’s hold their value better than other brands.
It’s a comfortable ride with flexible cargo space and I’m carting two young children around everywhere.
My son’s only requirement for the new car was to have A/C vents in the rear, which the CRV has and my previous vehicle didn’t.

my only gripe is that the engine is small for the size of the car. It’s great for gas mileage, but it takes a long time to warm up when it’s cold out, so the remote start is a must.

Last edited:
Incidentally, I’m seeing a lot of the Alfa SUVs on the road in my area. They’re pretty nice.
Agree! The Quadrifoglio 505 HP version, that would be a dream car! Crazy beast that can do 60 in 3.8s..
https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F11%2Falfa-preston-hero.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

For more practical purposes, the Skoda Kodiaq in Bahama Blue Smokeburst is quite nice!
Skoda-Kodiaq-Scout-759246.jpg

Back