Capo - feel the love....

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
Recently maligned, the capo really is necessary to get the right timbre for some classic songs. "Hotel California" would not be the same. It might sound close but it just wouldn't be right.

Let's give the poor little capo some love. I'd like to hear about your favorite songs which use a capo to sound 'right' and your favorite brands of capos.

capo.jpg

capo ≠ crutch

Last edited:
I just picked up one of these.

The cool part is it is adjustable for tension. A strong capo on thinner strings can sometimes make everything unintentionally a few cents sharper by stretching the strings into the fret space. With this Planet Waves capo - the tension is adjustable. Tighten or loosen the thumb wheel to get a good non-buzzing fret without making things too sharp - love it!

Heck almost anything Keef ever played is with a Capo! And it's AMAZING how much better ( to my ear) they sound when played capo'd like the Stone's original version.

There really is a lot of "magic" to be had using one. :D

I'm got a simple G7 Nashville Capo that I use with my Acoustics. I have a GC Gift Card for Christmas that is destin to become a Shubb Deluxe Capo. The G7 will pull things sharp if you're not careful, the Shubb's adjustable tention should work great.

Pretty convicing argument for Capo use starting at minute 42 of this video. The guy giving the talk looks sort of familure. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For my originals, i like to record the acoustics parts using the capo in various places. Then i'll pick which ones blend the best with the electrics. It's like having a violin and a viola instead of two violins.

I never had much of an opinion either way about using capos. But in the last few years I found I had somehow chosen a position on the subject, and I'm all for 'em. At this point in my life and playing 'career', I'd hang a dead skunk off of the headstock if it made me (A) happy, and (B) a better player. If it suits me, then I'm doin' it!

This guy seems to have adapted pretty well to using a capo...

Lloyd/Goldtop

P.S. - Look for it in stores soon: The Official Goldtop "Skunk 'Em All' Headstock Attachment Device! Impress your friends, family, and fellow players! Let Goldtop help you "Skunk 'Da Competition!"

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy seems to have adapted pretty well to using a capo...

Great. Now I can't post another video until I can either smoke that kid or I digress to 5 years old..... I've been going backwards since 50 so it won't be long now :)

Clean. Musical. Fantastic!

Last edited:
Back