Cap placement on tone

Naga

Hindered harpist
Hi,
Can someone explain why PRS guitars have the tone cap placed out of lug2 on tone and into the vol input log 1, instead of having the cap on tone lug2 going to ground and tone lug3 linked to vol input lug1 ?

I believe the two placements give electronicaly the same effect, but as PRS choses this placement instead of the common Seymour Duncan one, maybe is there a reason I don't know ?

I don't know why exactly, but it's a common method.

Perhaps it's just convenience. No need to cut and strip extra lengths of wire to connect the pots when you can just use the existing leads of the capacitor, and then you can use the scraps leftover from trimming the leads as jumpers to connect the ground lug to the pot casing. It's very efficient.

If you buy a PRS tone pot separately, it comes with the cap wired by the second method you mentioned.

This is the modern vs. 50s/vintage wiring topic. You’ll find lots of discussions here if you search, but here’s a simple explanation of the two. There is a functional difference and people have strong feelings about those differences, so you will get a variety of responses. Ultimately, do your own experimentation and make your own decision. It’s totally reversible and fun!

This is the modern vs. 50s/vintage wiring topic. You’ll find lots of discussions here if you search, but here’s a simple explanation of the two. There is a functional difference and people have strong feelings about those differences, so you will get a variety of responses. Ultimately, do your own experimentation and make your own decision. It’s totally reversible and fun!

Not exactly. On the "50's wiring" setup, the tone cap connects from lug 3 on the tone to lug 2 on the volume. The PRS wiring typically goes from lug 2 of the tone to the first lug of the volume.

I don't know why exactly, but it's a common method.

Perhaps it's just convenience. No need to cut and strip extra lengths of wire to connect the pots when you can just use the existing leads of the capacitor, and then you can use the scraps leftover from trimming the leads as jumpers to connect the ground lug to the pot casing. It's very efficient.

If you buy a PRS tone pot separately, it comes with the cap wired by the second method you mentioned.

Excellent answer, thank you so much, very helpful !

That's not exactly that. 50's tone wiring is placement of tone action regarding to volume.

Not exactly. On the "50's wiring" setup, the tone cap connects from lug 3 on the tone to lug 2 on the volume. The PRS wiring typically goes from lug 2 of the tone to the first lug of the volume.

Right.

Thanks for all your answers.
This forum is the Best !

Back