Cant hear myself

BrianC

more toys than talent
(edit: Cant Hear Myself Sing)

I am in a band that mostly does our own PA but here and there we have a house PA.

When setting up things and doing a mic check, things may seem OK for tone and volume. When things get going and as the night moves on often times I cannot hear myself any more.

I have thought about getting a pre amp or using a mini mixer just for my mic so that I could boost my signal if I start to drop in the mix. OR.... If I get my own powered monitor controlling my own sound and then getting a feed from main mixer to get the rest of the band in my monitor.

Obviously the easiest solution is to fix the main problem of the mix of the band right at the console. I do not seem to have luck though with the more Senior Rocket Scientists in the band or even if there is a sound guy at the venue.

your thoughts...

Last edited:
You still rockin’ the Marshall? Are you using a 4x12 cab with it?

Honestly I’d consider trying to aim the speaker(s) at your head a bit more before looking for an electronic solution, bandmates and lame-O soundguys really don’t appreciate more stage volume from guitars.

An additional monitor just for you would be the next step but, an angled stand that blasts your cab in your face is a simpler solution

You still rockin’ the Marshall? Are you using a 4x12 cab with it?

Honestly I’d consider trying to aim the speaker(s) at your head a bit more before looking for an electronic solution, bandmates and lame-O soundguys really don’t appreciate more stage volume from guitars.

An additional monitor just for you would be the next step but, an angled stand that blasts your cab in your face is a simpler solution

I edited my post - cant hear my singing! Certainly no lack of volume on the guitar. I played an outdoor gig this past Saturday near Wrigley Field along side an "EL" train using the PRS MT 15. That amp can blast if needed. The master was not even at 9 O'clock.

I edited my post - cant hear my singing!.

Ahhh... Yeah, you might have to go with a dedicated monitor then, or some "in ear" setup if you don't want too much extra stuff to haul.

Your PA shouldn't be too difficult to set up if your mixer has an extra bus that isn't being used, the real trick would be integrating it into those places with their own sound system, even though if you can't hear yourself there... it's kinda their obligation to accommodate you.

Unless there's an all in one product already developed for such issues (there may be) you'd be looking at at least a mixer and a powered monitor. Your mic would go into the mixer (maybe something cheap and small like a 4 ch mixer) that then gets split to FOH and your powered monitor. Stage born feedback from your monitor would be on you to handle, but otherwise shouldn't mess with the FOH too much. You can get something with a small speaker since it's only for vocals and that should help out with the amount of stuff you'd have to bring.

Sound men are (sometimes understandably) hesitant to relinquish complete control of the gain staging of vocal mics though. It's a problem I encountered when I was a "selector" for a reggae singer and I was in control of the delays and vocal effects that are so common with that music. The best thing you can do is to make it as easy as possible for them, and just need an XLR or direct box from them, and have a rehearsed speech ready for them on what you're doing.

(edit: Cant Hear Myself Sing)

I am in a band that mostly does our own PA but here and there we have a house PA.

When setting up things and doing a mic check, things may seem OK for tone and volume. When things get going and as the night moves on often times I cannot hear myself any more.

I have thought about getting a pre amp or using a mini mixer just for my mic so that I could boost my signal if I start to drop in the mix. OR.... If I get my own powered monitor controlling my own sound and then getting a feed from main mixer to get the rest of the band in my monitor.

Obviously the easiest solution is to fix the main problem of the mix of the band right at the console. I do not seem to have luck though with the more Senior Rocket Scientists in the band or even if there is a sound guy at the venue.

your thoughts...
In-Ear Monitors. Period. Set your own mix on your phone or tablet. Works for us

12304126_10153892050816019_8806488532993433863_o.jpg

Back