Can't decide Les Paul R8 vs PRS DGT

PRS DGT or Gibson R8

• PRS DGT

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • Gibson R8

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the video, the DGT had more depth, resonance and sounded more interesting in your hands than the R8.

It's kind of about the player, and what the player can do with the guitar, as far as I'm concerned. Your playing sounded more interesting on the DGT. so that's what I'd go with if I was in your shoes.

Yeah... after watching/listening with headphones on, I found that the R8 sections sounded pretty "flat" overall. I could pretty much also hear the flatness of the strings on the fretboard too (my non-custom-shop Les Paul is like this--it's just sort of part of how LP's are, I think) and in the tone of the guitar. The DGT seemed to have a much MORE--broader and deeper. [Granted, the audio difference could've been due to audio settings on the recording device? If not, then the DGT was totally head & shoulders above the R8.]

I still look (almost daily) for an LP Standard, as I've always thought they look like a piece of art in the guitar world.
Having said that, I have 1 PRS Core model (Wood Library Custom 24 with a 57/08 in the neck and 59/09 in the bridge) and 3 PRS SE's.
The PRS guitars (even the SE's) play better than Gibson guitars I've owned thru the years (1970 SG style Melody Maker, 1966 ES335,
1974 '55 LP Special RI, 1960 LP Jr, 2013 '61 SG Standard RI).
PRS "fixed" the issues (headstock angle, string thru nut angle) that Gibson has and the trems on the PRS I have (Core Custom 24 and SE Custom 24)
are rock solid tuning wise.
Historic looks etc., Gibson rocks it.....I have the 2013 SG Standard RI now to "scratch my Gibson itch".
Playing wise, sound, fit/finish, PRS KILLS IT......
My 2 cents worth.

In all seriousness...the R8 didn't sound as "rich" as the PRS. I definitely noticed it with headphones.

Either way you do you. Ultimately, it's what sounds and feels best to you. Happy hunting!

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who heard the difference in the richness of the tone between the two guitars.

Doesn't even seem like a close call to me. YMMV.

Same...I could here the difference right away. Then, I listened thu my Jabra ear buds and it was even more discernable.

At least we still have our hearing going for us...so there is that.;)

In 2013 I bought a fancy top DGT. It wasn’t the right guitar for me. Perhaps with time I would have learned to love it. But it was a lot of money only to hope we would gel. As soon as I returned it, I stumbled upon a good deal for a new 2013 R9. That was, and still is, the right guitar for me. Had I kept the DGT, there would have been insufficient funds to get the R9. I’ve since added a 594 to the collection. It’s another right guitar for me. None of the foregoing helps with your decision beyond the obvious-only you can decide which best meets your need.

Although, I think the DGT sounds sweeter or richer in the clip I prefer the sound of the R8. Maybe that's years of brainwashing... Either way I'd still rather have the R8 vs a DGT as a personal choice.

I am lucky enough to have two dgt’s and a 50’s les Paul. They are all fantastic guitars. The les Paul does the les Paul thing. The dgt can get close very close but it does much more. I can just cover more ground and in a live mix I’m not sure I notice or if anyone else does. I find myself grabbing my dgt most times just because of playability but I love a les Paul because some of my favorite players played them.

I am lucky enough to have two dgt’s and a 50’s les Paul. They are all fantastic guitars. The les Paul does the les Paul thing. The dgt can get close very close but it does much more. I can just cover more ground and in a live mix I’m not sure I notice or if anyone else does. I find myself grabbing my dgt most times just because of playability but I love a les Paul because some of my favorite players played them.
I have both and they are all I play. I have a couple nice guitars that just stay in the case.

Like a EBMM Steve Morse Y2D

I’m playing at church today no made a couple of video recordings with my 2008 dot (burst), 2018 dgt (natasha) and my 2019 Les Paul

Back