Canoe recommendations?

Mike J.

Down the street from where I live is a nice lake. To give an idea of it's size, you'll see an occasional pontoon boat, a jet ski here and there and some kayak/canoe activity. Not too big or too small. There's even a little island near one end. I've been in my house 31 years now and I've only been on that lake twice!

I think it's high time I get out there. Fact is I'd love it. I'm retired and I think my son and my two young grandkids would love it especially with summer coming on. I'm sure some folks here can guide me in the right direction. I've seen some for around $800.00 and of course some are much higher. I see no need to get too expensive as this will only be used here.

Of course I would need the extra's like paddles, cushions and life jackets and a cart of some type for transport to the lake. (I'm guessing the lake is about 600 feet from my house). All in all I want to keep the total costs as reasonable as possible.

Thanks!

Down the street from where I live is a nice lake. To give an idea of it's size, you'll see an occasional pontoon boat, a jet ski here and there and some kayak/canoe activity. Not too big or too small. There's even a little island near one end. I've been in my house 31 years now and I've only been on that lake twice!

I think it's high time I get out there. Fact is I'd love it. I'm retired and I think my son and my two young grandkids would love it especially with summer coming on. I'm sure some folks here can guide me in the right direction. I've seen some for around $800.00 and of course some are much higher. I see no need to get too expensive as this will only be used here.

Of course I would need the extra's like paddles, cushions and life jackets and a cart of some type for transport to the lake. (I'm guessing the lake is about 600 feet from my house). All in all I want to keep the total costs as reasonable as possible.

Thanks!
You have a lake 600 feet from your house, and have no kayaks???? It’s like I don’t even know who you are anymore!!!!

LOL. :p:p

Canoes are great. Unless you’re routinely taking a big dog with you, kayaks are better. Each person gets there own little boat and you can explore, exercise, fish, or just relax on the water, all at your own pace.

We bought a canoe, and two cheep kayaks about 12 years ago. My wife was so concerned that she wouldn’t like the kayak, that she’d only buy cheapies, and she knew she’d love the canoe because she’d been one one many many times.

12 years later, we have taken that Canoe out 3 times… and we own 8 kayaks and take them to the lake often! Love the kayaks!! I know some things about canoes because I read the paddling mags, but know a lot more about kayaks. I’ll be glad to help any way I can.

You have a lake 600 feet from your house, and have no kayaks???? It’s like I don’t even know who you are anymore!!!!

LOL. :p:p

Canoes are great. Unless you’re routinely taking a big dog with you, kayaks are better. Each person gets there own little boat and you can explore, exercise, fish, or just relax on the water, all at your own pace.

We bought a canoe, and two cheep kayaks about 12 years ago. My wife was so concerned that she wouldn’t like the kayak, that she’d only buy cheapies, and she knew she’d love the canoe because she’d been one one many many times.

12 years later, we have taken that Canoe out 3 times… and we own 8 kayaks and take them to the lake often! Love the kayaks!! I know some things about canoes because I read the paddling mags, but know a lot more about kayaks. I’ll be glad to help any way I can.
You cracked me up!!

I thought about a kayak, but I'm trying to keep the cost at a reasonable level and as mentioned, I'm thinking of something that could accommodate the grandkids. They love anything new and I know they'd really enjoy something like this. I was looking online last night and saw some new ones at various stores for a pretty reasonable price. Fact is, one store in particular is about 20 minutes from my house, so I'm going to check it out this week.

At the northern end of the lake there's a canal. Checked it out on Google maps and I never realized how far it goes. It would be pretty cool to see what's down there. I'm looking forward to this!

You cracked me up!!

I thought about a kayak, but I'm trying to keep the cost at a reasonable level and as mentioned, I'm thinking of something that could accommodate the grandkids. They love anything new and I know they'd really enjoy something like this. I was looking online last night and saw some new ones at various stores for a pretty reasonable price. Fact is, one store in particular is about 20 minutes from my house, so I'm going to check it out this week.

At the northern end of the lake there's a canal. Checked it out on Google maps and I never realized how far it goes. It would be pretty cool to see what's down there. I'm looking forward to this!

Choose your team wisely. I don't think that canoe people and kayak people always get along very well. After all, why should they? Canoe people can stay dry, haul gear and look cool doing it while kayak people have a wear a shower cap, tip over all the time and sometimes come up from the water with a fish flapping in their mouth. lol

Choose your team wisely. I don't think that canoe people and kayak people always get along very well. After all, why should they? Canoe people can stay dry, haul gear and look cool doing it while kayak people have a wear a shower cap, tip over all the time and sometimes come up from the water with a fish flapping in their mouth. lol
Ironically, in 12 years of kayaking, I’ve only fallen out once, and that was in rapids while trying to free a canoe that was trapped up against a tree by the current. So even if you choose the wrong team, a kayaker will be there to save you! :p:p

That said, if you want to take out 2-3 kids, a canoe is the way to go. And for that, go wide and stable over slim and fast.

Ironically, in 12 years of kayaking, I’ve only fallen out once, and that was in rapids while trying to free a canoe that was trapped up against a tree by the current. So even if you choose the wrong team, a kayaker will be there to save you! :p:p

That said, if you want to take out 2-3 kids, a canoe is the way to go. And for that, go wide and stable over slim and fast.
Wide and stable. Got it. Thanks for the tip!

I've always been a fan of on water activities. My biggest issue is I've seldom had a "dry" experience with a canoe. Wasn't always me, often was the paddle partner that caused the instability and resulting swim exercise. Fortunately I'm a very good swimmer anyway, and I did get rather adept at the righting and emptying procedure. There's an old joke about canoes and Canadians: "The difference between a Canadian and a canoe? The canoe does tip!"

I've always been a fan of on water activities. My biggest issue is I've seldom had a "dry" experience with a canoe. Wasn't always me, often was the paddle partner that caused the instability and resulting swim exercise. Fortunately I'm a very good swimmer anyway, and I did get rather adept at the righting and emptying procedure. There's an old joke about canoes and Canadians: "The difference between a Canadian and a canoe? The canoe does tip!"
Yeah, I've been dunked before. Somewhere around 1988 I went on a canoe trip in Pennsylvania down the Youghiogheny river. In places the water current was pretty fast and was churning big time in some spots. Hit a real rough patch in between some rocks where the river bed terrain dipped down about 3 feet and the canoe tipped. (Yeah, I was new to this!). I made it to a rock and pulled myself up on it but the river was running so fast that there was no way I could reach the ropes they were trying to throw me from the shore. So I jumped back in, the current pulled me under numerous times while slamming into rocks and I went downstream about 1/4 of a mile before the current slowed down enough for me to make it to shore. I loved it!!!

Went back the next year and my ex ruined the trip for me. Threatened to hit me over the head with her canoe paddle if I didn't row exactly the way she told me to amongst other threats of that nature. Now I know how Johnny Depp feels!

Nice knowing that when I get a canoe I'll be the captain of my own ship!

Yeah, I've been dunked before. Somewhere around 1988 I went on a canoe trip
So, I mentioned this, but only once have I turned over in a kayak. We were chaperoning a canoe trip and two girls in our group were pinned against a tree by water current. I pulled and pulled and almost got them loose twice, Finally I said heck with it and put my foot on the tree and gave them a big shove. It broke them loose, but tipped my kayak far enough that the current came over the sides and rolled me out. Water was only a bit over knee deep and we had already been swimming and rope jumping, so no big deal. I could have easily just stepped into the water to free them but figured I'd try from the boat first.

But... I've turned over MULTIPLE times in a canoe, and all in one trip. I went on a class reunion canoe trip, with the graduates that are 1 year older than me about 5 years after I graduated. I got stuck with one of my buddies who was a big partier and had a HUGE cooler full of beer which he insisted on bringing along for the trip. His logic was we'd have beer for everyone. About 40 people in canoes. The problem was, this big cooler weighed more than I did when loaded down with beer and ice and made our boat heavy and slow. The bigger problem was, 3 miles in, he had already downed 6 beers and suddenly he had NO balance at all. We'd hit some mild riffles and he's fall to the side. I'd lunge to the other side to counter, but once he got his weight and the 150lb cooler all leaning one way, I wasn't enough to stop it and over we'd go.

My lifelong love of the water was challenged that day... we took a 10 mile trip that was supposed to take 3-4 hours. We did stop and play in the water often the first few miles. But after one of our last rope swing places, the group all took off and he rolled us before we got started. Dropped his paddle and the cooler came open... beers floating downstream, sinking, etc. Beers everywhere! So I grab the canoe while he chases the beers. We literally stayed in that spot for over 20 minutes trying to get them all. Then we got back in the boat with one paddle and realized the others were now long gone. He wasn't an athlete at all, and was drunk already so I did 90% of the paddling the next hour and we never saw any of the group. We hit a big series of rapids while he was taking a turn and.... he turned us over again AND dropped the other paddle. By the time we get back in the boat, we've got a cooler that still weighs 75lbs, two guys, and no paddles... So I was laying across the front of the canoe, paddling with my hands. By the time we got back to to pickup spot, only a few of the group had waited. They were worried because they had been back for over 2 hours. I had been paddling with my arms for the whole time. We got off the river at 7:30 that night and I had a 9:00 softball game. :rolleyes: When I woke up the next day, my shoulders were so sore I couldn't lift either arm over my head.

The moral of this story is, don't get in a canoe with a drunk guy!

Lesson learned, I'd say! My drinking days are long over. I probably haven't had a drink in about 8 years.
Oh yeah, mine are long gone. But that was back in my early 20s. And I wasn't even drinking! I had a game that night. (Now after the game, different story ;))

Back