Can you "split" Narrowfield pickups?

Oh, what a shame, thanks for letting me know.
I didn’t go back a re-read this thread, but it can be done. Someone here did it, I remember that. I sent a guitar to the PTC for a partial refinish and to install Narrowfields. I asked them about splitting them and they told me they couldn’t/wouldn’t do it.

I didn’t go back a re-read this thread, but it can be done. Someone here did it, I remember that. I sent a guitar to the PTC for a partial refinish and to install Narrowfields. I asked them about splitting them and they told me they couldn’t/wouldn’t do it.

It seems to me that being able to do it or not depends on how many cables the Narrowfield has. I think that by connecting the blue cables to a push/pull I will be able to obtain the division of the coils. If I don't get the schematic I'll try it in a few days.

The new question for this zombie thread is "Are all narrowfield pickups the same?"

Here is what has me wondering... The Swamp Ash Studio model which I previously owned specifically advertised that the Narrowfield pickups were specifically "57/08 Narrowfield" pickups. A Narrowfield version of full sized 57/08 pickup. But I don't recall narrowfield pickups back then which were mounted into different guitars as having that designation.

Present day, I think the real question is (besides why didn't I think of this back then) Why would you want to split a Narrowfield pickup in the first place? To make it sound like a single coil? It already sounds like that! What purpose would splitting a narrowfield accomplish?

The reason is simply more variety of combinations. The tone of the unmodified Narrowfields is excellent and different from other pickups, but I am convinced that by splitting them I will get a low output sound with a different tone than a single coil. If I don't have to modify the structure of the pickups, it's worth trying and if it doesn't fit, it's completely reversible.

In the case of being able to do it, I would have 10 combinations instead of 5. And in the end, in this capitalist life, the one who has the most or the one who has the longest always wins. And I don't want to be less... hehe

Why would anyone want to alter/wreck a pair of very expensive and somewhat difficult to find (since they don't make or sell them anymore) pickups such as the Narrowfields? Sacriledge!
The NF pickups are a brilliant invention and shouldn't be fiddled with. If someone wants a more narrow, single coil sound and the problems which go with it, why not just find a low cost Seymour Duncan solution? Maybe tap some SD hotrail pickups or something.
Well this one has definitely opened a can of worms.
An amazing pickup. Single coil twang without sounding like a dentist’s drill !
Should you mod it ?
I wouldn’t, but all due respect to the people who want to.
I look forward to hearing more about this one

The reason is simply more variety of combinations. The tone of the unmodified Narrowfields is excellent and different from other pickups, but I am convinced that by splitting them I will get a low output sound with a different tone than a single coil. If I don't have to modify the structure of the pickups, it's worth trying and if it doesn't fit, it's completely reversible.

Let's say for the purpose of argument that you could easily split the narrowfield pickups, I would not expect you to be able to hear a "significant" difference between the split and non-split tone variations. A slight difference? Maybe but not a significant difference. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

I was all about the idea of doing coil splits for the 2 and 4 positions. Thought that would be the coolest thing ever. Played my NF3 for about a month and decided that the first person who ever touches those pickups will be shot on the spot. Even if it’s me! :oops::p No way, NO how, NO BODY is touching those pickups. That guitar is way too good to mess with.

The only way I’d ever mess with the NF pickups, is if I had multiples. If I had an NF3 and a SAS or regular Studio, then maybe I’d try to tap them. Probably not. I might swap a 59/09 or \M/ in the bridge.

If you’ve played the NF pickups through a good amp, and still want to mess with them, then more power to ya. ;)

Back