Can you ID this wood?

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
This was a large piece In my inventory. Before I recently put it to the saw, it measured 5x9x30. At 5 inches, it was easily thick enough to cut into a book matched carve top AND back; so voila! It’s long enough to avoid the bark inclusions. Under finish (gloss o_O), the figure should really pop. Any guesses what it is?

This was a large piece In my inventory. Before I recently put it to the saw, it measured 5x9x30. At 5 inches, it was easily thick enough to cut into a book matched carve top AND back; so voila! It’s long enough to avoid the bark inclusions. Under finish (gloss o_O), the figure should really pop. Any guesses what it is?

I’m thinking Walnut. Claro would be the obvious choice as it is more commonly used in guitars/basses…but if you’re quizzing us it has to be more exotic. So I’ll guess Franquette (Carpathian/English) Walnut. Gorgeous whatever it is…too bad they won’t allow you to make a PRS with this.

"Come... Please have a look at my wood," says the man on the internet whom I've never met before. And yet, here I am, admiring his wood.

In the end, I have nothing to add--as I am not knowledgeable about exotic tree species--except that I appreciate the Rorschach-test nature of figured woods.

some sort of Walnut?

Bastogne Walnut is found in Northern California. It is a rare, natural occurring hybrid between California English Walnut and Claro Walnut. While the top in Ron Thorn below is not from the same tree, it is another beautiful piece of Bastogne I supplied. It’s representative of how I expect this top and back to look when completed and gloss finished.

I think that sapwood around the butt end will add a nice touch to the new one.

Last edited:
Bastogne Walnut is found in Northern California. It is a rare, natural occurring hybrid between California English Walnut and Claro Walnut. While the top in Thorn below is not from the same tree, it is another beautiful piece of Bastogne I supplied. It’s representative of how I expect this top and back to look when completed and gloss finished.

Nice!

Bastogne Walnut is found in Northern California. It is a rare, natural occurring hybrid between California English Walnut and Claro Walnut. While the top in Thorn below is not from the same tree, it is another beautiful piece of Bastogne I supplied. It’s representative of how I expect this top and back to look when completed and gloss finished.

What does this smell like when you cut it? I only ask because I was drilling pine yesterday and it reminded me of working in my grandfather's shop as a kid.

I am seeing a dragons face in the center of the back photo! @Wakester , I was going to make a similar comment even before I viewed the posting time. I guess we had what, 3 hours and 21 minutes to guess? Sorry I did not make the deadline, I am usually pretty good with hard woods (at least my own anyway, never worked with others)!!!

Back