Can you help me to choose the most beautiful wood for my PrivateStock?

To quilt or to flame, that is the question!!! I am a sucker for one piece tops, and when I get around to ordering my first spec'd PS, it will definitely be a one piece. Question will be, quilt or flame and the answer will come down to what else I am deciding to do design wise! I have two concepts that have been in my head for some time (before I put my hands on my first PRS this February). One concept is better served by flames, the other better served by quilt! And pay close attention to what @docteurseb is saying with the colors!!! Very important and he really knows the stain/color stuff! The two piece when bookmatched correctly are to die for, but examples of that kind of match are, from what I have seen, more rare than a sweet one piece.

Long and short is, think about the colors you are going for, the design elements you intend to include and decide from there. Without additional details, I think it would be difficult to choose one over the other ;~))

Happy buildin'!
MW

Speaking of color, do note the color difference between the top/back of the 2nd set.
It won't matter for many of the darker finishes but that's enough of a difference to change a super light blue finish (e.g. faded glacier) to teal.

On 2 piece tops the two halves are naturally book-matched out of the band saw.
However all bets are off once you start carving out those pieces to make a carved top; it would in fact be sheer luck and improbable to still end up with a perfect book-match (especially below the bridge). That's where veneered SE bodies or bodies with laminate tops have an advantage as they can maintain the book match all along the center seam.

This never bothered me as long as the figuring is relatively similar like those below, but I can understand why some can't stand it and would want a 1 piece top instead.
Just realize that you're often going to have to trade off a higher grade figuring from a book-matched top for a less figured 1 piece top due to the rarity of the latter.
If you want the highest grade and can live with a 2 piece tops, I too suggest going that route.

Artist top:
ZMjtJqT.jpg

10 tops:
oUj0j5b.jpg

URmlwJN.jpg

Why not go for both? Flame top for the front and the other one for the back?

Or pick a nicer book match for the top, and use one of those 1 piece for the back.

If a perfect mirror image is important to you, you’re safer picking a fiddleback top instead of a quilt. If Paul Miles knows that’s high on your list, he can advise/pick to meet that goal.

Last edited:
I agree with 11top, you're going to get a more consistent flame with a book match than trying to find a wide board with a consistent flame all the way across, though of course either can be great depending on what you're into.

It's all a matter of personal taste. Keep looking until you're knocked out.

Back