Can you help me to choose the most beautiful wood for my PrivateStock?

MrSuperstar

Blues Lawyer
Hi guys, I've just received from PRS Private Stock several photos of boards for the TOP and BACK of my future guitar.
It will be made of an unique piece of wood for the top and another one for back. The variety is flamed maple.
I'm very indecisive. Which one looks best IYHO?

b.jpg

c.jpg

Both beautiful! The first looks great for the back, and the second for the top. If you are going for something different on the back, then that first might make a great top.

Both are great. The first one is more interesting to me. Either would be killer.

As shimmilou said, both gorgeous pieces. The first (two) would make for a very distinctive top - lots of energy in the grain pattern,

I'd go with the first one. The grain should really pop depending on the stain you have selected even if you leave it natural.

I like top left for a top, and of the bottom set I would rotate the left piece 180 degrees. Either set will end up as a beautiful guitar, worthy of a "Sweet top AND back" from me. Do you like your maple flamed or quilted?

For a one piece top I would definitely go with one of the more irregular ones from the first photo, and maybe bookmatch the tight flame for the back

I strongly prefer the top one for the top of a hollow body. It has tons of character that flows really well with the f holes.

Either would be a nice top, but the one it’s the big features will be exceptional.

My advice is not to settle for a set of top/back unless you are 100% happy with how they look.
Once it's built you'll be stuck with the guitar and a PS isn't exactly a price bargain; the fact you are asking here (and other places) makes me worried you aren't 100% thrilled.

I wouldn't be in love with either, but that's just me.
It's also hard to judge from pictures alone, those tops could have exceptional depth but you won't see that unless you can see a video with the light changing orientation.

Both are fairly dark pieces so I hope it's not for a vivid/bright color as the wood will color cast that and attenuate how vivid the color ends up looking.

Actually, if I were into the tighter curl pattern the 2nd set would work for me….

I asked for more samples (all in the style of wood #3). I want a top with the straightest and most intense flames.
I prefer to be fussy, annoying and indecisive now - before spending 15k on a guitar - rather than feeling remorse forever.
The top must drive me crazy, otherwise I will not complete the purchase

I asked for more samples (all in the style of wood #3). I want a top with the straightest and most intense flames.
I prefer to be fussy, annoying and indecisive now - before spending 15k on a guitar - rather than feeling remorse forever.
The top must drive me crazy, otherwise I will not complete the purchase
I totally get you. If I was gonna blow 15k on a guitar I too would be picky as hell. I say, if you are gonna get that invested in a custom guitar, shoot for the moon baby!

Was about to say you should ask for more examples but I see you already did. For PS prices you need to be blown away. Get exactly what you want bc that’s the whole point of the program.

Back