Can you elaborate? New PRS 85/15 pickups?

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
The new 30th Anniversary model of the Custom 24 (Core line) has what the PRS web site describes as "the new 85/15 treble and bass pickups. Designed personally by Paul Reed Smith in conjunction with the new 58/15 pickups for PRS’s 30th Anniversary year, 85/15’s are uncovered pickups with remarkable clarity and extended high and low end perfect for more modern applications. This blend of tradition and innovation mirrors the culture that PRS developed over the last three decades."

So, that is the official sales pitch description but I'm wondering if any real people can describe these new pickups to me. I did see one sales demo online but I don't feel like I really know what they are about yet. Anyone got any yet? Comments? Anything to add to the above?

Thanks.

I guess that I can figure out on my own that the name comes as a tribute to the 1985 PRS pickups as well as the year 2015 being the 30th anniversary.

I saw another video demo which seems to convey to me that they are pretty hot pickups, very bright, articulate with the pick attack to where you can get different tones (cleaner/dirtier) between hard and light pick strokes. A good bit of twangyness in the middle selector switch positions.

I'm still searching out tone demos while I wait for people to chime in.

Update: Today I just said "screw it" and ordered a 30th Anniversary Custom 24 from a dealer's on hand inventory. It will be here next week. Translucent Charcoal looking color.

Update: Today I just said "screw it" and ordered a 30th Anniversary Custom 24 from a dealer's on hand inventory. It will be here next week. Translucent Charcoal looking color.

This is the only way to buy guitars.... Jump right in! Congrats!

I've been wondering about the difference between 2012 and 2014 Carrera. Can anyone provide any info?

F#%& it! I just bought a new one.

:wave:

Incoming...
CU24hangar18.jpg

Good looking gitar. May you find its soul and have it cry out to the world.

Incoming...
CU24hangar18.jpg

The bad part is the guitar sitting inside a freezing cargo truck since the 29th and the delivery date is not expected until January 5th. So once I get the box inside the house on the 5th, I suppose it will then be safe to open on the 6th after it has had time to transition to room temperature. I think a slow moving pack mule would be faster.

Back