Can the PTC change the colors of a guitar?

I don't know much about painting a guitar, so forgive me if this seems like a dumb question but, can the PTC strip down a guitar and re-paint/stain it with a different color?

I noticed one of Zach Myers' signature SEs that he uses live is a faded jean blue, but the sides, back, and neck still look like the royal blue that was available for sale a few years ago.

Would this be something they made from scratch for him like that, or is it possible that one of the royal blues was re-finished to have that top?

Main reason I'm interested is because I would love a purple singlecut one day but it seems my only option is a core model which is definitely out of my price range.

If it is possible to do, around what would the PTC charge for that?

The PTC can absolutely refinish a guitar for you. A couple of things to keep in mind:
- they can't do Private Stock colors/finishes (for example, no Dragon's Breath)
- you need to keep the colors complimentary. You can't go from something dark, like Whale Blue to something light, like Bonnie Pink.

As for a price, you're better off sending an email to Customer Service. They'll get back to you within a day, typically.

The PTC can absolutely refinish a guitar for you. A couple of things to keep in mind:
- they can't do Private Stock colors/finishes (for example, no Dragon's Breath)
- you need to keep the colors complimentary. You can't go from something dark, like Whale Blue to something light, like Bonnie Pink.

As for a price, you're better off sending an email to Customer Service. They'll get back to you within a day, typically.

Next dumb question... :p

How do I know what kind of finish is considered private stock?

Next dumb question... :p

How do I know what kind of finish is considered private stock?

Good point. What you can get is anything that is a current color, and a lot of previous colors. So, the best way to check this is to look at the PRS website at the current offerings, and then find the Artist Package options and check those too. This should get you to the AP list:
http://www.prsguitars.com/408/ You'll have to scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
You'll have to google some of the colors to get an idea of what they look like. First hand experience talking here. I just sent a Cu22 in last week for a refinish and some other upgrades.

I bet the cost of changing the color would drive the cost up to nearly what you could get a used core when considering the cost of the SE to begin with. When you consider the different in components and the quality of the wood and such it might be worth skipping starbucks for a couple months and just doing it.

I'm having one of mine refinished to another color right now at the PTC. As for the charge & color options, contact them and they will give you a quote.
*Keep in mind there are limitations to what can be done based on the original color and what you want to change it to.

I'm having one of mine refinished to another color right now at the PTC. As for the charge & color options, contact them and they will give you a quote.
*Keep in mind there are limitations to what can be done based on the original color and what you want to change it to.
Nice! You decided to keep it?

OP, as for the price, I left that out of my above posts. It was a lot. A couple of reasons I left it out.
- I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to post
- I wasn't sure if there was a difference in cost with respect to Core, S2, and SE
- I didn't want my quote to influence your decision
- if you're in love with the guitar it may be worth it.
The Cu22 I sent in just feels so good, and plays very much to my liking. If it didn't, I would have used it in trade for something else.

Just a couple of things to consider

Ahh, blew my cover, I should've kept it a secret. Now I've got no surprise on the "Transformation day" thread I was gonna do.
Mum's the word T. I'll say no more, and look forward to the future thread. Besides, if you got the same timeframe I got, I'll have forgotten all about it by the time you get it back!

check the ptc link on the main page. the guitar that was transformed to the 3 pickup monster is mine. It was the second one I have done. I don't regret doing it either. i love the guitars but did not like the color for the first and the second, I wanted something very different. I was not concerned with cost, because I will never going to sell the two guitars!!! It's personal!!!!

Nope. When I was working out the details on mine, they suggested that as a color I could use. I had a Whale Blue that I was wanting to do something Orange-y on. When I was advised against it due to the darkness of the original color, FBJ was one that was tossed as an option.

This is the info I'm looking for. Thanks.
In your opinion, why PTC can't change a guitar's color to another which is very different than the stock one?

This is the info I'm looking for. Thanks.
In your opinion, why PTC can't change a guitar's color to another which is very different than the stock one?

You're welcome. As for your other question; because they aren't able to get 100% of the original stain off/out. Kind of like getting a cover up tattoo. The new one has to go over the old one.

For the price of an SE and paying to have it refinished you would probably be close to a secondhand core pricewise. It doesn't hurt to ask for a quote, they get back to you very quickly.

Back