Can someone talk me out of a DGT (or not)...

I wouldn't give up on your SC! I have a 20th and a 25th and also a pretty f'n spectacular DGT! The 20th has a set of uncovered #7's in it and they'll rip your head off for high gain and drop tuned stuff, yet they're splitable and really do well in that arena clean and slightly pushed. My 25th has a set of DGT's in it along with push/pulls on both. There isn't anything it doesn't do well, including those cop'd strat neck tones. I tried 2 sets of 57/08's a set of Dragon I's and a set of 59/09's in this guitar to get a versatile guitar for playing classic rock stuff. I had been playing my DGT exclusively after I got it back from the PTC and dug everything I heard from it while playing live. Pat Travers came into town and his lead guitarist Kirk McKim and I were talking guitars etc. and he asked me to bring my DGT out to sound check as he also was curious about the model. Kirk had been playing his Modern Eagle for years live and it's a damn good sounding guitar! I put a set of Kirk's strings on my DGT and had it set-up(I use 10's he uses 12's) Kirk loved it during soundcheck and used it for the whole show.Somehow after he twisted my arm and I agreed to let him tour the rest of the summer with it and after that I decided to send it around the US to other forum friends and artists. Suffice to say I was DGTless for my stuff and while my SC245 sounded good, it was just missing something that was in my DGT. I tried swapping pick-ups and as soon as I dropped the DGT's in it the guitar took on a different life! It had that woody/airy tone that my DGT had, but it also had a ton more bottom end that the DGT. I'm not a trem guy so that really didn't matter, but putting those pick-ups in made my SC-245 a guitar that amazes me everytime I play it! I let Howard Leese borrow it a couple months ago to use as a backup while he was in town with Paul Rogers.....again after soundcheck Howie used my SC-245 for 90% of their show. I got to hear it thru his rig and with his fingers and was amazed how good it sounded!

Try a set of DGT pickups....if you don't like you'll have no problem selling them! So ok I tried to talk you out of buying!

e5e65d_6b893b2154d2f83895f75df0d1d6df31.jpg_srz_640_427_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

293589_2368038519314_1200983367_32903931_4203010_n.jpg

OBTW....Pat dug it too!!

282099_2313279194108_1313265761_2679756_6531985_n.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

Very Cool story and pics.

I picked up a 53/10 this week. Dropped it in the neck position tonight and I think I'm there, maybe. The 57/08 in the bridge and 53/10 in the neck are great for what I play, very versatile and the 53/10 is both clear and warm at the same time when playing clean. Really like it. I had a trade lined up for a DGT but I think I'm going to keep the SC, possibly add a coil tap. I've got rehearsal next week and we are working on a very mellow electric/acoustic set. That will be a good test for me, playing some Mayer, some Stones (Rubber Sole stuff) and some country tunes (Kenny Chesney, Jason Aldean) with the SC and the new pickup configuration. Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I'll just have to start the DGT fund and convince my wife why I need another PRS. Anyone have a suggestion for how to do that? ; )

So you guys failed miserably (or not). Had to give up my SC to get it but I am in love with this DGT Standard I just picked up. The Experience clinched it for me, this is just a great all around guitar and the pickups are just sick. I can't put it down. Here's a quick one.

IMG_3369_zps12a44889.jpg

So you guys failed miserably (or not). Had to give up my SC to get it but I am in love with this DGT Standard I just picked up. The Experience clinched it for me, this is just a great all around guitar and the pickups are just sick. I can't put it down. Here's a quick one.

IMG_3369_zps12a44889.jpg

"My Man..." :cheers:

EDIT: Note to self: read entire thread before giving advice while guitar is already acquired :D

Congrats! DGT Std's are awesome!

Here's my small change:

What I really dig about the DGT are the dual volume controls, That is so handy to have. I also love the neck carve which is even more comfy for me than the wide fat. Maybe because it feels a hair deeper (so filling out the hand) while being very slighly narrower. Combined with the jumbo frets it basically plays itself, even with the 11s that come standard on it.

What kind of amp do you play through? Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 ComboWhat type of music? Everything from blues to hardrock / metal with more emphasis on heavy stuff.
Do you play mostly lead/rhythm or both? Both (and both bad LOL)
If you play with a band how is the DGT in the mix? I have the Standard and it sits in the band mix better than my maple capped ME2 (although that has a rosewood neckm which makes it quite a different beast), it's easier to be heard.
Maple cap or the Standard? Standard, Tried the regular DGT years back and while I really liked it, I found it too similar to my other guitars. The DGT Std really has its own voice. Plus you have the coice of all these opaque finishes which are cool!How different is the DGT from a McTrem? never played a McTrem, but specs wise: different neck carve, dual volume control, arguably better coil splits, jumbo frets.
DGT pickups vs. 57/08s? (Chris's shootout nailed this for me but let's hear it) Well tbh the 57/08s in Chris' shoout out sound better than the lower output early ones that I have. Compared to the DGT pickups my 57/08s can get gainier but at the same time sound less loud, or maybe thinner is the right word.) Toss-up for me really.

Oh and check out the video this guy is doing. He shows that although the DGT may be vintage voiced, it does modern stuff very well too (played through a Mark V).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsET8vkrtHg

Back