Can someone talk me out of a DGT (or not)...

slev

I just finished an 6 month quest for a SC Gold Top about a month ago. I love the SC but to be honest I just put 59/09s in my CE24 and I find myself playing that a lot more because of the versatility. That's the one thing that I feel like I'm missing with the SC. Played a DGT a while back and it was pretty awesome. I didn't get too much time with it but it is clearly a flexible instrument. I now find myself with a serious case of DGT GAS (DGTitis is the technical term I believe). I will probably have to move the SC in a trade or sale to swing the DGT so I want to hear why I should or shouldn't. DGT lovers and haters (if there are any) let me hear it.

What kind of amp do you play through?
What type of music?
Do you play mostly lead/rhythm or both?
If you play with a band how is the DGT in the mix?
Maple cap or the Standard?
How different is the DGT from a McTrem?
DGT pickups vs. 57/08s? (Chris's shootout nailed this for me but let's hear it)

I know how subjective some of these things are but I'm still interested. I know what I think but I have spent too much time with a DGT and if I'm going to ship "The SC" that I was looking for out then I want to be as sure as I can. Thanks in advance for the feed back.

I absolutely love my DGT standard! The versatility is off the charts. Pickups sound fantastic and the split tones are incredibubble! I play everything from blues to metal and it handles all styles nicely. The only guitar PRS makes that is more versatile would arguably be the P22/24 series IMHO... My number 1 was/is a 96 Custom 22 but the DGT is on its heels...

That's pretty much the consensus which is why I think this thread will go nowhere. It was mostly just to get me over the hump. I'm pretty set on a DGT next. What about how it compares to a McTrem with coil tap? Similar specs no?

That's pretty much the consensus which is why I think this thread will go nowhere. It was mostly just to get me over the hump. I'm pretty set on a DGT next. What about how it compares to a McTrem with coil tap? Similar specs no?

It essentially is a McTrem with coil tap and I think another electronics mod or two. Different pickups too. GREAT neck carve on the DGT too!!!

However, you should not buy one. It's not the guitar you're looking for...

DGtitis.. LOL... funny.

I LOVE my DGT's feel, but I am not too crazy about having 2 volumes and the pups are good but I find the neck too muddy and the bridge too bright... I am looking for replacement pickups with higher output and will want to add a 5 way rotary to get in between sounds like on my CU24.

The older DGT's finish are super sensitive. I have a Nitro finished maple top, and you even look at it wrong and it will mark or peel. Even having a "planet waves" mini headstock tuner holding on to the headstock left a round mark on the finish.. So maybe a newer with V12 will hold up better. The Nitro smells really great though.. LOL..

It really has a great feeling neck.. acoustically it is louder than my CU24 probably due to the thicker body. A great guitar, although you need to accept it's idiosyncrasies.. like the frets that give you the feel of playing a "scalloped" neck.. nice to really dig in for the note.. cool!! (but it is harder to play fast on a scalloped neck according to Yngwie, so.... LOL.. )

Get one.. :)

Any recommendations on a good pickup set that will split and do 5 way rotary switch well? I enjoy higher output pups... was thinking about Doug's signature pups from suhr.. or bareknuckle Rebel Yells... thoughts?

Any recommendations on a good pickup set that will split and do 5 way rotary switch well? I enjoy higher output pups... was thinking about Doug's signature pups from suhr.. or bareknuckle Rebel Yells... thoughts?

PRS DRAGON I

Also, this Alabama boy's stuff is good if you wanna get out of PRS territory.. (Mods, if this is unacceptable, let me know)

Chunky...
http://www.jonbaxterpickups.com/fatwound.html

Extra Chunky...
http://www.jonbaxterpickups.com/krazytrain.html

Check him out, listen to the audio clips. He will wire them however you want.

Don't buy one...

Did it work? No? Oh, well...

Jamie

Very compelling...LOL...thanks.

HS - Thanks for the Jedi mind trick but I don't think it's gonna take.

Super - Thanks great comments, I think you put your finger on it for me. The DGT is definitely one of the most customized "Signature" models that I've tried. DG definitely knows what he wants.

I just put a 57/08 in the bridge of my SC so I'm going to give that a shot for awhile and than make a decision. Maybe try and get my hands on a DGT for a bit a the Experience. Thanks guys.

I think the DGT is cool because of its vintage sound. That may be what you gravitate toward?

The 25" scale SCs like the one you have are more modern-sounding guitars than the DGTs or the 24.5" SCs. Whether that's due to a variety of factors (such as the new bridge and scale length) or just the pickups, I can't say, since I only had the stock 7 pickups in the 25" SCs I had a few years back.

I can say that the new ones are significantly more vintage sounding with the 57/08s (and in the case of my SC58, the 53/10s). I found the 57/08s to be the best pickups for all-around use I've ever had.

I see that's what you put in, and I think it's a good idea before giving up on the guitar and going for a DGT.

I think the DGT is cool because of its vintage sound. That may be what you gravitate toward?

My ear and taste has been moving in that direction over the last few years. The 57/08s are closer to what I want now that I have them in the SC but now I'm thinking I need something more vintage sounding in the bridge (53/10 or 245?). The SC I have weighs in at around 10+lbs and is a beautiful piece of wood which produces darker tones in general so I'm not sure if the 53/10 would be too subtle in this guitar. Not sure because I've never played through one extensively so it's hard to tell.

Chris - I think I agree with you on the STD, that's the direction I'm leaning, I like the mid-range that it seems to bring out.

My problem is going to be making it through the Experience with out bringing one home. I may not be able to come home if I do that!

My ear and taste has been moving in that direction over the last few years. The 57/08s are closer to what I want now that I have them in the SC but now I'm thinking I need something more vintage sounding in the bridge (53/10 or 245?).

I have the 53/10 in both positions on my SC58. It's not a more vintage-sounding pickup than the 57/08 I had in the Stripped 58, it's simply a *different* vintage sound, if that makes sense. The 53/10's a little more rounded, has a little less cut at the note attack (but at the same time has a more percussive attack), and less upper midrange emphasis, making it drive the amp a little differently. So what's going to work best for you between the two will depend on your playing style, the music you play, etc.

I love vintage tones (I still have a bought-new-by-my-brother '65 SG Special around). Still, the 53/10 is different enough from the 57/08 that you'll spend some time dialing it in with your amp(s) no matter what.

Last edited:
I have the 53/10 in both positions on my SC58. It's not a more vintage-sounding pickup than the 57/08 I had in the Stripped 58, it's simply a *different* vintage sound, if that makes sense. The 53/10's a little more rounded, has a little less cut at the note attack (but at the same time has a more percussive attack), and less upper midrange emphasis, making it drive the amp a little differently. So what's going to work best for you between the two will depend on your playing style, the music you play, etc.

I love vintage tones (I still have a bought-new-by-my-brother '65 SG Special around). Still, the 53/10 is different enough from the 57/08 that you'll spend some time dialing it in with your amp(s) no matter what.

Thanks for the feedback. I may see if I can pick one up and give it a shot. I also picked up a Fender Super Sonic 22W this week, basically a Deluxe Reverb with a cool gain channel, and that has given me some very cool vintage OD tones with the SC. Just really makes me more confused.

Thanks for the feedback. I may see if I can pick one up and give it a shot. I also picked up a Fender Super Sonic 22W this week, basically a Deluxe Reverb with a cool gain channel, and that has given me some very cool vintage OD tones with the SC. Just really makes me more confused.

Ya know, there are times when the best thing to do is spend some time with what you're using, and not worry about it. And there are times when you punt, and get something else.

Then again, there are times when it's good to have a third alternative in addition to what you have going. So... ;)

I've been thinking about getting that amp... it has really cool reviews. I love fender cleans.

You have to buy a DGT. Then sell it if you don't dig it. Otherwise, you won't know. Just picking one up at a store might not make you bond immediately due to the frets having a different feel mainly. But once you get used to that.. might be one minute or several hrs... oh it feels great..
If you are into soulful/expressive type of vibrato and bending.. you'll appreciate the taller frets. Also, having a trem is just more fun and you can express more if you want using the bar vs your stoptail SC.

Thanks guys. I'm going to split the difference I think. I'm probably going to pickup a 53/10 for the neck position to go with the 57/08 I already have in the SC and see how it goes for a while. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for the right used DGT and maybe use that a the trigger to sell/trade my SC.

Super - The super sonic very cool. I always liked the Deluxe Reverb cleans but I like to have a useable lead channel as well so I never took the plunge on the DR. The super sonic IS a DR (minus the rectifier tube) platform with a really sweet drive channel. It has a cascading gain design, basically two gain stages that are interactive, I have that on my Mesa Studio .22 and love it. Very cool grad and go amp. Very easy to dial in a great tone.

I think you're in the wrong place if you want people to talk you out of buying a guitar. :)

Back