Can someone help me decide between these finishes?

I am the world's foremost authority on what is best for someone else, and I say the Quilt is best for you. :) That's what I would get anyway, that is the best looking one IMO, and I prefer 22 frets over 24. :cool:

Zoom in on the quilt. There are all these white thin squiggly lines everywhere. Is this normal? I looked at a bunch of other PRS quilt tops and none of them have those from what I can tell.

Seems to me like you are referring to the wood grain lines, and if so, it's not only normal but part of the beauty of the wood. Sometimes the wood grain lines are more apparent on some finishes than others, especially depending on the viewing angle.

Check this pic, zoom in, lower left opposite the tone knob, I can see the wood grain lines (white thin squiggly lines). Maybe this is what your are seeing?

26997757488_2917bbffcd_o.jpg

Last edited:
I did originally have my heart set on the quilt. But zoom in on the quilt. There are all these thin white squiggly lines everywhere. Is this normal? I looked at a bunch of other PRS quilts and none of them seem to have this. Thanks.

If you could zoom in on my HBii and had the camera been able to pick up the 'finer' detail of the wood grain, this guitar looks so much better. Being a one piece Maple, the top looks somewhat 'off', not symmetrical because its not a book matched top - however its these fine details, the fine grain that really helps make it look more stunning than any picture I have can ever do it justice. It all adds to the 'fingerprint' that makes each guitar totally unique.

I’d choose the copperhead or the red. Not a fan of quilted tops.

As you can see from the previous posts, this is simply a subjective choice. Choose what makes you happy.

But, since you asked........personally, I’d pick the red, non-burst.

Last edited:
Hey all, just a quick update. I have narrowed it down to three guitars. The quilt, the copperhead, or this: https://reverb.com/item/13168077-20...guitar-paul-reed-smith-custom-24-10-top-lefty

I am really leaning towards this guitar. Just gorgeous. The shop owner even agreed to swap the knobs out for PRS amber ones since I think that would look better. The only thing holding me back is the back of the guitar is natural - no stain. I kinda wish it was stained darker. Am I crazy? I think I may be being too picky, because besides that this guitar is smoking.

Anyways, I am going to wrack my brain for a couple more days. Also, thanks to shimmilou for informing me the lines I was seeing in the quilt were the wood grain lines! For whatever reason I didn't realize this but now that you point it out it is so obvious.

Hey all, just a quick update. I have narrowed it down to three guitars. The quilt, the copperhead, or this: https://reverb.com/item/13168077-20...guitar-paul-reed-smith-custom-24-10-top-lefty

I am really leaning towards this guitar. Just gorgeous. The shop owner even agreed to swap the knobs out for PRS amber ones since I think that would look better. The only thing holding me back is the back of the guitar is natural - no stain. I kinda wish it was stained darker. Am I crazy? I think I may be being too picky, because besides that this guitar is smoking.

Anyways, I am going to wrack my brain for a couple more days. Also, thanks to shimmilou for informing me the lines I was seeing in the quilt were the wood grain lines! For whatever reason I didn't realize this but now that you point it out it is so obvious.

The third has a nice looking Neck BUT it doesn't have the natural binding which would make it lower on my list - each to their own of course and it maybe the one for you so its still something you have to decide...

The third has a nice looking Neck BUT it doesn't have the natural binding which would make it lower on my list - each to their own of course and it maybe the one for you so its still something you have to decide...

Good catch! I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Glad you mentioned that, because the natural binding is important to me.

Good catch! I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Glad you mentioned that, because the natural binding is important to me.

Well now you just need to decide whether you want a 22 or 24 fret guitar - or which one to buy first anyway.

The 24 is a traditional PRS guitar and to me, the guitar that built PRS as a brand, put them on the map so to speak. The 22 is a great guitar too and the guitar that came from the limited edition and very expensive Dragons inspired. Before the Dragon, PRS weren't making the Custom 22. To me, I think of it as a more modern Les Paul-ish guitar. Its worth trying both so you get to hear what that difference in Neck PU position makes. It may not be a 'big' difference in terms of the separation distance but it does make quite a difference in tone. This positional difference changes 4 out of the 5 selectable options with the Blade switch. The only position that doesn't make much difference is the Bridge PU option but every other option uses the Neck PU - either split in position 2 and 4 or Humbucking in position 3 and 5.

Other than the 'tonal' difference on 4 of the blade switch positions between the two, the other difference may be the neck - Custom 24's are more commonly made with a Pattern Thin neck but if the two you are looking at are both Pattern Regular, the only difference is tonal. If you don't mind which tonal sounds you can get, then it really is a toss of a coin or picking the one you like the look of the best. The quality is exceptional, customer service is incredible so whichever you buy, you are getting an amazing high quality instrument and won't be disappointed!!

I like quilt black/burnt leaf one better than the flame maple counterpart
But that copperhead one from DGS has an insanely figured neck with satin finish which will feel faster to play (it's also slightly thiner being Patter Regular instead of Pattern ).

I would pick the quilt. I love quilt tops.

I also already have a burnt-maple-leaf with a nice tight flame, so that might also be biasing my selection.

Quick update: I got the Custom 22 quilt in burnt maple leaf!! So excited. It took me so long to choose but I kept coming back to this one. I got in touch with one of the guys over at Moores Guitars and he sent me some additional pictures of the guitar and it just looks stunning. I will post a NGD once I get the guitar later this week.

The beauty is just the icing on the cake, then there is the feel, the sound, mmmmmmmmmm! :)

Back