Can SH Specials Rock?

Skeeter

I know that sounds like a silly, dumb guitar guy question - but every demo I’ve seen is mostly clean, with maybe a little bite or overdrive.

I can understand being fascinating with its clean sounds, as they sound amazing and there are so many options. And maybe most want to emulate Mayer on his Super Eagle.

However, I would expect 58/15 MTs to be able to rock like 85/15 MTs, since the only difference is they are covered.

So, any links? First hand of counts of some shred action on one of these? Thanks!

I know that sounds like a silly, dumb guitar guy question - but every demo I’ve seen is mostly clean, with maybe a little bite or overdrive.

I can understand being fascinating with its clean sounds, as they sound amazing and there are so many options. And maybe most want to emulate Mayer on his Super Eagle.

However, I would expect 58/15 MTs to be able to rock like 85/15 MTs, since the only difference is they are covered.

So, any links? First hand of counts of some shred action on one of these? Thanks!

There is more of a difference than just being covered!!!

pups-png.5045

Although they do seem similar according to this but I think the 85/15's are hotter and more 'modern' sounding with the 58/15's being more classic (or as it says here, vintage). Any guitar can Rock and these are no different. People can, and have been rocking on the 58/15 LT's and those have fewer winds and a lower output. I can understand why demos often keep to the cleaner side - especially with guitars like the Special 22 and all the different Pick-up selection choices. Clean is easier to hear the differences with full or tapped humbuckers - whether that's on their own, with the Narrowfield or with the other humbucker. The differences are not always that pronounced and would probably be impossible to detect with a high gain distorted sound.

The Special 22 is like a Custom 22 with a few more tone shaping options

There is some more 'rock' playing in this (~2min - 5min) and maybe it will help you. There is a bit of 'shred' towards the end of the opening of the video

Depends on what you're looking for. Pantera, not so much. Maiden, Priest, G-n-R, Rush, Ozzy, 80s hair....hell yes!

I think you could do Pantera with the right pedal or two (Revv for example may work) but I think of that sound as being high output ceramic pick-ups and the 58/15's aren't that hot by comparison - more of a classic/Vintage voiced pick-up too so would need a pedal to get closer to Pantera. I think its possible to get the sound of hotter Pick-ups from low(er) output pick-ups but don't think you can easily get a vintage low output Pick-up tone from a Hot pick-up.

I do think though that you would need the right pedal to do Pantera so I guess that is pushing it to say the guitar can do this but it is possible with the right gear. Certainly rocks though...

Back