Can SH Specials Rock?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Skeeter, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

I know that sounds like a silly, dumb guitar guy question - but every demo I’ve seen is mostly clean, with maybe a little bite or overdrive.

I can understand being fascinating with its clean sounds, as they sound amazing and there are so many options. And maybe most want to emulate Mayer on his Super Eagle.

However, I would expect 58/15 MTs to be able to rock like 85/15 MTs, since the only difference is they are covered.

So, any links? First hand of counts of some shred action on one of these? Thanks!

2. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

There is more of a difference than just being covered!!!

[​IMG]

Although they do seem similar according to this but I think the 85/15's are hotter and more 'modern' sounding with the 58/15's being more classic (or as it says here, vintage). Any guitar can Rock and these are no different. People can, and have been rocking on the 58/15 LT's and those have fewer winds and a lower output. I can understand why demos often keep to the cleaner side - especially with guitars like the Special 22 and all the different Pick-up selection choices. Clean is easier to hear the differences with full or tapped humbuckers - whether that's on their own, with the Narrowfield or with the other humbucker. The differences are not always that pronounced and would probably be impossible to detect with a high gain distorted sound.

The Special 22 is like a Custom 22 with a few more tone shaping options

There is some more 'rock' playing in this (~2min - 5min) and maybe it will help you. There is a bit of 'shred' towards the end of the opening of the video

g.wizz, grausch and bodia like this.
  3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Depends on what you're looking for. Pantera, not so much. Maiden, Priest, G-n-R, Rush, Ozzy, 80s hair....hell yes!

g.wizz, Alnus Rubra and Mozzi like this.
  4. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

I think you could do Pantera with the right pedal or two (Revv for example may work) but I think of that sound as being high output ceramic pick-ups and the 58/15's aren't that hot by comparison - more of a classic/Vintage voiced pick-up too so would need a pedal to get closer to Pantera. I think its possible to get the sound of hotter Pick-ups from low(er) output pick-ups but don't think you can easily get a vintage low output Pick-up tone from a Hot pick-up.

I do think though that you would need the right pedal to do Pantera so I guess that is pushing it to say the guitar can do this but it is possible with the right gear. Certainly rocks though...

bodia likes this.
  5. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

The SSH sound killer with the MKIV mod of my Mark V :) " It will rock "

g.wizz and bodia like this.
  6. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Exterminate!

I played one at a recent guitar show through a BF Super. I did some blues stuff, some Dead stuff, and some rock, and this guitar is an amazing piece of work.

Yes, yes it can rock.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

If you can rock, it can rock. But that’s probably true of any guitar.

bodia, g.wizz, Mozzi and 2 others like this.