Can I get the 21 rules of tone?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
I would like to have them and see how they affect my guitar building. Is there a PDF or a write up about it?

You are going to have to put the time in and watch a lot of videos and read a lot of interviews and see if you can create the list on your own. Or you can build a lot of guitars and decide what works for you and make your own list. They are subjective, not laws of physics.

You gotta know when to hold ‘em
Know when to fold ‘em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you’re sittin’ at the table
They’ll be time enough for countin’
When the dealin’s done

Paul keeps the 21 Rules of Tone locked safely away.

But how??? I don't know how white limba and honduran rosewood would pair sonically. I may even splurge for a buckeye burl top. I honestly don't get how that will affect tonal qualities.

Paul didn't get it right on the first try, neither did Edison, Ford, Tesla, Leo Fender, Les Paul, nor any other inventor. It takes patience, perspiration and determination. It appears as though you already have the Inspiration. If you want to make the perfect guitar on the first try, you will be sorely disappointed. Look closely at what is on the market. look at what works and doesn't work. Listen to the different clean tones of different woods in the same style guitar. Do your home work. Don't get discouraged because one idea didn't work. You may have thousands of ideas that don't work or sorta work. You only need one idea that does work to find success. All those other ideas are called experience. It's how you learn.

And for what its worth, I'd buy a Guitar with a Limba neck and body, HRW board and a one piece Buckeye Burl Cap anyday.

1. Blue guitars sound better.
2. Louder sounds better, except when it doesn’t.
3. But it does.
4. Blue guitars don’t sound better.
5. There is no rule 5.
6. Make the bodies wood and the strings metal. Never the opposite.
7. Do not put pineapple on pizza.
8. There are a lot of fine women in the world, but not all of them bring you lasagna at work.

1 study physics
2 study mathematics
3 study botany
4 study ergonomics
5 study music
6 study scientific method
7 study science
8 study engineering
9 study wood craft
10 study electronics
11 study art
12 study life
13 study history
14 study humanities
15 study instruments
16 study metallurgy
17 experiment
18 document results
19 build a lot of guitars
20 build more guitars
21 write your own list on perfect tone

1. Blue guitars sound better.
2. Louder sounds better, except when it doesn’t.
3. But it does.
4. Blue guitars don’t sound better.
5. There is no rule 5.
6. Make the bodies wood and the strings metal. Never the opposite.
7. Do not put pineapple on pizza.
8. There are a lot of fine women in the world, but not all of them bring you lasagna at work.
I was with you until the pineapple.

Pinapple and double bacon is wonderful.

Just remember it is as much the materials as the way in which the guitar is constructed.
This. I was watching Paul's interview last night for the Guitar Summit 2020 over at https://webcamp.guitarsummit.de/ and he was emphasizing the importance of the wood and the ways of "cooking" it. Talking about the importance of this procedure in tone structure. It was a really interesting talk. I could've listened to him talk shop all night.

PRS fanboy, you’ve got to spend more time doing research and using your brain. You want absolutes, and there are none. There are no shortcuts in life, start down the road and go. The only think I can tell you is try to think through to the conclusion. And be prepared to be wrong, that’s the way life works. I spent 50 years in the tone desert before I figured out what my ears wanted to hear.

Paul didn't get it right on the first try, neither did Edison, Ford, Tesla, Leo Fender, Les Paul, nor any other inventor. It takes patience, perspiration and determination. It appears as though you already have the Inspiration. If you want to make the perfect guitar on the first try, you will be sorely disappointed. Look closely at what is on the market. look at what works and doesn't work. Listen to the different clean tones of different woods in the same style guitar. Do your home work. Don't get discouraged because one idea didn't work. You may have thousands of ideas that don't work or sorta work. You only need one idea that does work to find success. All those other ideas are called experience. It's how you learn.

And for what its worth, I'd buy a Guitar with a Limba neck and body, HRW board and a one piece Buckeye Burl Cap anyday.
I mean the limba isnt super heavy, not neck heavy at all from the weight, and is so dry! It's around a 0.6 for moisture so thats great. And I will keep you in mind if you want to be a future customer!!

PRSfanboy46,

I challenge you to make a guitar (or guitar like object) in the next week. Post a picture of your finished product by December 6, 2020. Tell us how you think it turned out and what you learned.

Rules of the challenge:
You can’t buy pre-made guitar specific parts (strings excluded).
Total budget cannot exceed $20.
You must do the work yourself.

Anyone else is welcome to join in.

PRSfanboy46,

I challenge you to make a guitar (or guitar like object) in the next week. Post a picture of your finished product by December 6, 2020. Tell us how you think it turned out and what you learned.

Rules of the challenge:
You can’t buy pre-made guitar specific parts (strings excluded).
Total budget cannot exceed $20.
You must do the work yourself.

Anyone else is welcome to join in.
A week isn’t enough time to do a thoughtful, careful job or learn very much.

Back