Can I get advice/opinions on a 24 fret PRS please

vox801

I currently own two 22 fret PRS guitars.... I would like to get a 24 fret model and would be very interested in hearing the forums thoughts ? I played a 2003 Custom 24 today and really liked the springy feel of the strings. it also had the rotary knob which I have no experience with. Thanks in advance for your replies.

My CU24 was my first PRS. I loved it so much I bought another, a CU22. It's taken a while, but now the CU22 is just as comfortable to me.

I would have thought the strings would feel the same regardless of the amount of frets, and the 2 major factors are scale length and string gauge?

Typically 24 fret PRSes tend to have wide/pattern thin necks too (as opposed to wide fat/pattern or regular/pattern regular), so this may affect your choice.

I prefer the current 5-way blade setup to the old 5-way rotary, but that's just me...

I would have thought the strings would feel the same regardless of the amount of frets, and the 2 major factors are scale length and string gauge?

Typically 24 fret PRSes tend to have wide/pattern thin necks too (as opposed to wide fat/pattern or regular/pattern regular), so this may affect your choice.

I prefer the current 5-way blade setup to the old 5-way rotary, but that's just me...

This.

I would add that the rotary switches I have seen are sealed. If and when they get noisy (I'm talking signal noise when switching), there is no way to lubricate or clean them. So, I'd opt for a blade switch or a rotary that is not sealed....

My first PRS was a 24 freter (Cu24). They just feel right. Also try a Mira. Gotta have 22's and 24's in the collection!

Dont forget the S2. i just played one today. very similar to my mira but with a bigger body and neck.

I look at it this way: they are 2 great tastes. I have a CU24 (my first PRS) and love it. My next is a 22 fret Studio...also awesome. As said above, different neck carves play a big role. But I think both are outstanding guitars.

Marc

I only have 22 fret guitars, but I do like a few 24 fretters. Some guys love the rotary. I had a hard switching accurately with it. Do like some of the tones though.

Love my 24's! I have a handful of PRSi 24's, but over a dozen other brand 24 fret beasts. The rotary was a no-go, 5-way switch is the way to go. The newer Custom 24's are awesome....can't go wrong!

CU24 !!! -- 25" scale -- What many think of when they think PRS
Santana - 24.5" scale -- I am a fan !!!
Mira - 25" Scale Great tone , Great value

Can't go wrong
Happy Hunting

i played an extremely nice NOS 2003 PRS Custom 24, Whale Blue, Rotory Switch, Abalone Birds, Gold Hardware for what seemed a very good price.... it was very easy to play, very low action....

Ultimately, I think it'll come down to playing a couple different models of the Custom 24 to try out the neck carves to find out which is comfortable to you. In terms of switches, it'll also be a personal preference. Me, I really like volume/push-pull tone/3-way toggle setup because I do a lot of pick-up switching mid-song and need to have that toggle away from the trem-arm, but that's just me. All in all, playing a variety is part of the fun....and of course, if it says Paul Reed Smith on the headstock, you know you're getting a quality instrument (given it's not one of those cheesey chinese rip-offs from Ebay) Play on!!!

I personally prefer the 24-fret design. I think this is because the neck is longer. I grew up playing Strats, so the transition to the 24-fret PRS was easier than to the 22-fret model. I do have a 22-fret Hollowbody, but I prefer my Custom 24 for playability.

Both the 24-fret and 22-fret models are a 25-inch scale length (excepting the Santana, SC 245 and a few other models). This means that on the 24-fret model, the bridge is situated closer to the neck, and the neck is longer to accompany the two extra frets. To me, this makes the neck feel a little more like a Strat neck, whereas the 22-fret necks feel more like a Gibson.

The rotary knob... well, PRS dropped it in 2011 in favor of the 5-way blade switch. Most people prefer the blade; it's easier to know exactly what setting you're on than with the rotary. But personally, I prefer the rotary, partly because it just plain looks better to me, and partly because new layout with the blade switch moves the tone knob to a weird spot, but also because I preferred the switching options on the rotary (you can't get the two inner coils in series or the two outside coils in parallel on the blade switch).

I also love the wide-thin neck (updated in 2011 and rechristened "pattern thin"), it just plain feels better than any other neck shape I've ever played. Most 22-fret models don't have the wide-thin neck shape available as an option.

i know the thread i posted is very subjective.... everyone has their own likes/dislikes... but i do like to understand and learn from people who have experience. not hating on the rotary switch btw... just odd to me as i have not used one before.

and who better to ask than people on a PRS forum.

thanks

I would give the rotary a chance if you like everything else about the guitar. It's different, but you'll get used to it and have a better sense of what setting you're on. While the blade is great, it is a little easier to accidentally bump it when using the trem.

I mean the rotary was THE primary Custom 24 PRS switching system for what, 15 years? Good luck!

Back