Can anything be done to stop this.

Artjr

My wife's a Lawyer
i have a 07 CU22 and I noticed some of the clear on the edges of the fretboard is flaking off. It’s small areas in different places.

Happened to me on a guitar... I carefully chipped off any loose pieces and sanded the defect smooth. If you can get under the clear where it's separating, maybe try a very fine tip super glue? You will want to apply petroleum jelly or some similar product to the outer surrounding finish to avoid it sticking anywhere else.

Happened to me on a guitar... I carefully chipped off any loose pieces and sanded the defect smooth. If you can get under the clear where it's separating, maybe try a very fine tip super glue? You will want to apply petroleum jelly or some similar product to the outer surrounding finish to avoid it sticking anywhere else.
Thanks, I will try that. I was hoping PTC would have a solution. Never got a reply about the pictures I emailed last Monday. Any other time, I had a reply the same day or next day. That’s why I was asking if someone was on vacation.

Last edited:
Artjr, I had the same problem, and when I asked but it, PRS member ReptilianNosewood gave me the advice below. This worked perfectly for me! I did not need the "toothpick" step, when I put a drop of glue in there it simply spread through the lifting "flake" on it's own.

" So first thing i did was order the thin super glue from stew mac and some of their micro mesh sanding sticks. I lightly sanded the edges of the chipped area with the mesh sticks so they wouldn't show up as much after the fill. Then with a toothpick i kind of guided the glue into the chips so it wouldn't get on any other area and filled the chip. After i let it dry i use the micro mesh pads to sand the glue back down flat and flush with the neck. The mesh sticks go down to a really fine grit which i used with a little water to get it polished. Worked out pretty well. You can tell if you were to look at it closely but you cant feel it and most importantly it stopped the chipped areas from getting bigger. Im not sure if it voids the warranty so attempt at your own risk. PRS would likely fix it but if you dont wanna give your guitar up for 3 plus months this is a good option."

Back