Can anyone tell me about the PRS CE 24?

2007 CE24?

I've found a clean 2007 CE24 on CL and I'm hoping some PRS experts might know what a fair price for this be.
Thanks

I've found a clean 2007 CE24 on CL and I'm hoping some PRS experts might know what a fair price for this be.
Thanks

In general, discussion of pricing, even for discontinued models like the CE, is strongly discouraged here. I would suggest you check out recently closed auctions on eBay and Reverb.com and similar, to see what may be considered a useful price range. It is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay at that particular moment, which can vary a fair bit month to month...

Nonetheless, it would typically sell for less than a used Custom 24, but more than a new SE of any type. Maybe a few hundred less than the price of a new solid-body S2. Dunno if that helps with your pricing expectations.

Last edited:
In general, discussion of pricing, even for discontinued models like the CE, is strongly discouraged here. I would suggest you check out recently closed auctions on eBay and Reverb.com and similar, to see what may be considered a useful price range. It is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay at that particular moment, which can vary a fair bit month to month...

Nonetheless, it would typically sell for less than a used Custom 24, but more than a new SE of any type. Maybe a few hundred less than the price of a new solid-body S2. Dunno if that helps with your pricing expectations.

Yes, that is helpful and sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to ask about pricing.

We can talk about used pricing, so no worries.

I see CE's move for $850-1150. I wouldn't personally go any higher unless it was alder, had birds, or a three-piece 10top. CE's are killer guitars.

We can talk about used pricing, so no worries.

I see CE's move for $850-1150. I wouldn't personally go any higher unless it was alder, had birds, or a three-piece 10top. CE's are killer guitars.
Oh, OK, didn't know used pricing was permitted, since it can stray into discussing current model pricing too.

Yeah, about $1000, give or take, is "normal". $800 for a plain one is a good deal, $1100 for a fancy one is also good. $1400 is probably too high no matter what, IMHO.

I am looking at a 1988 CE today. A few questions...

if it has PRS electric on the headstock it should mean that it's a 1988 correct?

In pictures the one that I'ml looking at has what looks like a rotary switch. Which ones have that three-way switch and which ones had a rotary switch?

Lastly is there always a serial number on the headstock and if so does it need to match the serial number on the neck plate?

If the serials turn out to be for a 1988 model the body is alder?

Hi jcolm - "PRS Electric" does indeed indicate an earlier CE model - but I have seen that logo on some early 1991 models - so it's not a guarantee of year. Get the serial number and run it here http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/year.html. Bolt-on necks are easy to swap ;)

Body wood should be alder up until 1995 or so. All-alder models (no maple top) are 2-piece, while maple-topped alder models are 3-piece. If the back is opaque you can usually see the seams - if its not you can sometimes see the seam if you hold it up to the light. Mahogany models have a one-piece back.

RE: rotary vs. 3-way (McCarty) switching - I have not seen any documentation indicating a specific year correlation - all of my CEs are rotary-equipped. It's also an easy conversion from rotary to 3-way, and many folks prefer that setup, so this would not be a good indicator of year anyway.

Happy shopping - the good news is that there ARE no bad CEs...just well-loved ones...they are fantastic guitars.

I have an "88" CE (Alder) and it came stock with a 3 way switch (with the middle position being a split of both buckers to single coils in series). For 88's the serial # is on the headstock and not on the neck plate. The first digit is the year, the second is 7 for the CE designation, and the remaining digits are for the number.
88backofheadstock.jpg

I've owned a few CEs, but don't have any in my collection at the moment. I just love them. My favorite was a 1994 CE-22...mahogany body, maple top, Wide-Fat neck, and Dragon 1 pickups. My second favorite was a Vintage Yellow 1991 CE-24. It had an alder body, maple top, HFS & Vintage Bass pickups. That guitar sounded AMAZING. I've owned plenty of PRSi with those pickups, and none of them sounded even remotely like it. Through my Plexi, it sounded exactly like Clapton on the Bluesbreakers' "Beano" album. I only sold it because of the Wide-Thin neck.

To make it simple, I prefer the 22, solely because they're available with fatter necks. And Dragon 1s blow Dragon 2s away. As for the 24s, I MUCH prefer the alder bodied version. Also, there are a few out there with the Regular neck carve, which I do like. I think CEs are great bargains. Very few have killer tops, and not many have Birds, but the tone and playability are Pure PRS.

GOOD LUCK,
bs

Hi jcolm - "PRS Electric" does indeed indicate an earlier CE model - but I have seen that logo on some early 1991 models - so it's not a guarantee of year. Get the serial number and run it here http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/year.html. Bolt-on necks are easy to swap ;)

Body wood should be alder up until 1995 or so. All-alder models (no maple top) are 2-piece, while maple-topped alder models are 3-piece. If the back is opaque you can usually see the seams - if its not you can sometimes see the seam if you hold it up to the light. Mahogany models have a one-piece back.

RE: rotary vs. 3-way (McCarty) switching - I have not seen any documentation indicating a specific year correlation - all of my CEs are rotary-equipped. It's also an easy conversion from rotary to 3-way, and many folks prefer that setup, so this would not be a good indicator of year anyway.

Happy shopping - the good news is that there ARE no bad CEs...just well-loved ones...they are fantastic guitars.

Thank you. Sam Ash had it as a "1987" "Pre-factory" but in reality the serial said it was 1990. In the color and condition it was in it was not worth the price they were asking. They were on the high end of CE pricing and if it was an 88 I would have bought it just to have it. I have to say that I am not a fan of maple necks. Overall a great instrument that seemed very lively.

Thank you. Sam Ash had it as a "1987" "Pre-factory" but in reality the serial said it was 1990. In the color and condition it was in it was not worth the price they were asking. They were on the high end of CE pricing and if it was an 88 I would have bought it just to have it. I have to say that I am not a fan of maple necks. Overall a great instrument that seemed very lively.

i have aver actually just spoken with Samash today on this EXACT guitar.... Yes, I've found they are wrong in the date, as it is a 1990. I'm not sure you anyone will see this in time that has played this guitar, but I'm 1000 miles away and trying to make up my mind

dan

To follow up on this, I spoke with the guys at Sam Ash again as I was very very close to buying this guitar. They still insist the guitar is a 1988 even though the serial number clearly shows its a 1990. They also insist that mismatched knobs where OEM on early CE models ( the claim the 5 way knob should be white on early CE's )

Thanks to everyone on this forum and thread ( especially jclomn! ) as purchasing this guitar under the description listed by the seller would have been a costly mistake

I bought this one as a leftover from a "B" stock sale that Chuck Levin's had in 1991:

IMG_0098.jpg

I had the three way switched to a 5-way by Phil Jacoby about ten years ago. As for the pickups, I have no idea:

I have that blue one exactly! I have cream plastic pickup lining instead of black, and what I'm guessing is the original 3 way toggle. Mine is 1988 #306. I got mine from Master Musicians, Ritchie Hwy location, in 94 for like $800.

Any idea what that color was called? Some sort of blue metallic...

My first post and it's in a CE thread.... :biggrin:

I'm a novice so I think a custom is out of the question for now. I had been looking at a the SE or S2 lines, leaning towards a Tremonti SE custom or a S2 custom 24. Then I stumbled on a 97 CE for $950 locally and now I'm considering that as well. Would it be safe to assume the CE would be better quality over the SE or S2 models?

My first post and it's in a CE thread.... :biggrin:

I'm a novice so I think a custom is out of the question for now. I had been looking at a the SE or S2 lines, leaning towards a Tremonti SE custom or a S2 custom 24. Then I stumbled on a 97 CE for $950 locally and now I'm considering that as well. Would it be safe to assume the CE would be better quality over the SE or S2 models?

Absolutely.

Welcome!

I have my 'Electric' now since about 25 years and i still love her. The tone is great and very special. A great mixture between a LesPaul and a Strat with a very easy to play neck. You can also get a little Tele twang if you want to.

prsElectric.jpg

SerialNumber 377586

Don't let me hesitate to say that I can dig this guitar. Very cool red with maple fretboard. Definitely not something that you see everyday where I'm from. In fact we see few PRS guitars here. The local dealer discontinued the line and this hasn't helped either.

Time for a thread resurrection. Sold all my PRSs when I left corporate employment to start my own business 2 years ago, and I'm feeling the driving desire for one, so am drooling over CEs. I've owned several CUs, a Sunburst 22 for those that remember that briefly lived model, a Mira, and a couple of CEs. I'd never call the CE a poor-man's anything - it's an excellent guitar in its own right, and is the model I'm focused on right now because it easily holds its own with the others, and the price point is just a bonus. I need to find a 24 in Blue Matteo.......

Back