Can anyone tell me about the PRS CE 24?

I've got a first year alder CE 24 that meets that description. It was confirmed by Orkie, who worked on it at the factory, and again years later for me. It screams, and is the easiest playing PRS in my collection. Thinking of letting it go to fund a new PRS amp.

1988 Black CE 24.jpg

Did you put covers on the pup's? I haven't seen T&B's with them before. Bangin' guitar, no amplifier is worth it.

What can be said here that hasn't already been said other than the CE-24 is a rocking guitar that can give you both nice single coil and humbucking tones at a great price. I would recommend one but that would mean fewer for me so buy a Custom instead.

"

Did you put covers on the pup's? I haven't seen T&B's with them before. Bangin' guitar, no amplifier is worth it.

No, I didn't. Orkie pulled everything apart and said it was kosher. That bridge pickup just screams for days. I've got a pretty solid collection with a lot of PRS models represented, and would love to use the CE to help fund an "H" amp.

I've had my '94 CE24 for years, wide thin neck and stunning Tortiseshell maple top. it was the only PRS that called to me when I went into the dealer.
Plays brilliant and sounds great, and lighter than a lot of my other guitars, it's my main go to.
:top:

I bought this one as a leftover from a "B" stock sale that Chuck Levin's had in 1991:

IMG_0098.jpg

I had the three way switched to a 5-way by Phil Jacoby about ten years ago. As for the pickups, I have no idea:

neck:
IMG_1130.jpg

bridge:
IMG_1125.jpg

It's a very nice guitar that I don't play nearly enough...though my 8 year old was playing it the other day...maybe that'll continue.

Just for good measure, I ordered this one in 99, it now has DGT pickups in it...amazing:
IMG_0103.jpg

Your Q about a PRS CE-24

Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me about the PRS CE 24? When were they offered, what do they sound like, how are they regarded, that sort of thing. You guys know and love PRS instruments, so I figure if anyone knows it'll be you guys.

Cheers!

Hi, I'm new here [and late with this] but may be able to shed a little more light.

I've got a used 2001 CE-24. The CE came loaded with Dragon II pups and everything else was stock. I did a lot of digging as the Dragon II's seemed to be a rare installation on a CE-24. PRS did them on the CE-22. Usually, you get the HFS or Vintage pups both of which are very good.

Someone made a comment about the guitar being very midrange focused, tonally. I have to agree with the caveat that using the tone/volume controls and having your amp set at the proper height alleviates this. The pickups really can sing in a very biting but not cuttingly sharp manner. Twist up/down the tone/volume pots and the guitar can go from lead screamer to powerful rhythm in a second. The pickup selector does take some getting used to using... I'm still, after a year, working on it but mostly this is due to my lack of time to focus on wringing out the tones and volumes I want. Life gets in the way of playing... :) I have my Roland combo amp set up on a small table about .5m [1.5ft] off the ground and sit down nearby with the amp facing at a slight angle away from my face so that sound from the edge of the cone is what really strikes my ear. I have the bass/mid controls set at about 3-3.5 with the treble at about 6.5-7 [on a scale of 1-10 not 11, Nigel] and I can get the guitar to go from dark and dirty to bright, smooth and silky depending on what I do with the vol/tone pots.

So, how does my CE-24 compare to other PRSs? I've played nearly everything they make and the only one I really got stuck on was the Hollowbody II. Holy mackerel! What a monster. I played three SE's including two hollowbodies and just hated the way they felt. I thought they were setup incorrectly, then I played my friend's lovely custom 22. It felt almost the same: like a wet noodle. This friend has been playing since before I was born [literally] and is one of the best musicians I've ever heard. If he didn't suffer from stage fright, he could have been a professional at a very high caliber: he's played with Ginger Baker many times and his brother played on The Seager Sessions with Springsteen. That's the level I'm mean. So.... his guitar is hot but I just didn't like the way it felt. His 65 Gibson SG Jr is a dream to play so I'm not sure what the deal is with the PRS... it just felt like the wet noodle SEs I played. The CU-22 and 24 were very nice but I wasn't keen on the neck heel which seems to be a common complaint with that design. PRS has addressed this at various times but seem to favor the longer heel for I guess the sake of not having to worry too much about snapping the neck. I've seen some HB's with a much smaller and angled heel and they should play better at the higher registers.

What does this all mean to you? For me, the CE is a steal of a guitar. It's been called a sleeper, a bargain, more bang for the buck and I agree.

HOWEVER, I liked the hollowbody so much that I am trying to figure out how to afford one of these ungodly expensive monsters. They are, if you can figure out how to get the money, absolutely worth the pain. It is the only guitar I would break my leg to buy and I've got some and played some fairly nice instruments [just wish I could do them justice :) ]... the hollowbody II is just head and shoulders above everything else including my all-time favorite ES-355 in white just like Alex Lifeson's.

My 2¢... more like a dollar.

Cheers~ AHHA

I got my cherry sunburst ce 24 back in -96. Mahogny back and dragon pickups. It's been my main guitar ever since. It can do pretty much everything and it still plays beautifully. It's just as good as any custom I've tried.

My #1 guitar is a 1995 CE24 maple/mahogany with Dragon 1 pups and a Graph Tech piezo. It's one the best guitars I've ever owned and it will be going to the grave with me.

<<<<-----That's it over there.

CEs rock! I've got both 22 & 24. Ce22 w/ drag 1s that I will never sell. Drag 1s are hot and full but not harsh at all. Very warm sounding to me. I love them. My ce24 had hfs/vb. Liked the vb but not the hfs. Too harsh and brittle to my ears. It has 5708s now and was surprised at how bright is isn't. The neck pickup is incredible when I roll vol back a little bit hum or single coil.

What a coincidence!
I came to read this excellent post right after a friend left my house
With his 94 CE24 cherry burst, a first experience for me so my observations?
Goregeous guitar with subtle aesthetics, light weight and resonant maple/mahogany body.Playing her after my 513 with pattern regular
Neck.the WT neck(small heel) was smooth and fast but not my cup of tea.as far as he knows the pups are HSF/VB but when
I plugged her in i was takin' aback how in your face the bridge pup barked(on clean) and was louder than the HB mode on my 513
Which leads me to suspect that it might be a D1,now i only have experience with DII and the 57/08's but this one screams...
In conclusion: awesome guitar to play even with the somewhat combersome rotary switch and i loved all the sounds except the bridge clean but it's a worth addition to any collection especially if you want to add snap to your warm tones
VERY COOL...

Last edited:
I can't NOT respond to a good CE thread...especially when it's been almost two years since I replied to THIS ONE :)

Way back then in September 2012, I was only about a year into my re-tar-naissance, and had only one lonely CE - a 1990 alder/maple top affair I have come to call "The Guv'nah" He is most definitely in charge. The balls on that CE are HUGE, and it literally makes me smile (and sometimes laugh out loud) whenever I plug him in...even after all this time.

Since then I added another alder/maple top (92 - Scarlet), a 1991 all-alder and a 1997 hog/maple (black sunburst) with a 3-piece maple top and a wicked fade on the royal blue. They are some of my all-time favorites, and I do generally prefer them over customs of the same vintage, as I find them brighter, with the single-coil tones more stratty. I like the alder/maple combo best, although the hog/maple does have a wonderful growl. The all-alder one is very "woody" I guess I would say. All are HFS/VB.

I have my 'Electric' now since about 25 years and i still love her. The tone is great and very special. A great mixture between a LesPaul and a Strat with a very easy to play neck. You can also get a little Tele twang if you want to.

prsElectric.jpg

SerialNumber 377586

Last edited:
Loopmasta THAT is absolutely perfect! If you ever decide to get rid of her, I would gladly take her off your hands. That is my favorite color, and with a maple fretboard too...awesome!

I have my 'Electric' now since about 20 years and i still love her. The tone great and very special. A great mixture between a LesPaul and a Strat with a very easy to play neck. You can also get a little Tele twang if you want to.

prsElectric.jpg

SerialNumber 377586

I have my 'Electric' now since about 25 years and i still love her. The tone is great and very special. A great mixture between a LesPaul and a Strat with a very easy to play neck. You can also get a little Tele twang if you want to.

prsElectric.jpg

SerialNumber 377586

Very cool! Somebody swap the neck on there? It's like a precursor to the JH!

@CantankerousCarl - Thanks. I asked her but she wants to stay with me. Sorry.
@sergiodeblanc - No changes what so ever. 100% original. I only changed the strings from time to time.
@Bill SAS 513- Thank you.

Back