can anyone do a graphic comparison of neck carves?

dprather

Short of actually sawing through the many different neck carves that are out there, does anybody have access to any 3-dimensional scanners that could be used to map out the many variations of neck carves for a side-by-side (or overlapping) comparison? I've seen lots of questions (here and other boards combined) asking about the differences, but hands-on descriptions are somewhat subjective and open to argument. If we had something like this picture that could overlay a Pattern and Wide-Fat, a Wide-Thin and Pattern-Thin, etc... it might answer some questions definitively (and satisfy my curiosity).

Of course, 'Pattern' isn't big enough for some people, and this wouldn't fix that, but I'd actually be very curious what the changes from the old carves to the new really look like.

(this picture is from a Telecaster blog, but has a few others thrown in for comparison)
Necks.gif

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PRS CHART LIKE THAT WITH THE PATTERN SERIES NECKS INCLUDING A NEXT SIZED UP PATTERN THAT IS ROUGHLY .9 1ST FRET 1.0 12TH AND THAT WOULD ACCOMODATE THAT HUGE UNTAPPED MARKET FOR THOSE.

YES, I'M "SPEAKING UP"!

tdarian said:
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PRS CHART LIKE THAT WITH THE PATTERN SERIES NECKS INCLUDING A NEXT SIZED UP PATTERN THAT IS ROUGHLY .9 1ST FRET 1.0 12TH AND THAT WOULD ACCOMODATE THAT HUGE UNTAPPED MARKET FOR THOSE.

YES, I'M "SPEAKING UP"!
+1. Man, you should play the neck I have on my custom parts guitar. I had USA custom Guitars make a .86 U shape instead of the C shape PRS uses on the wide-fat. Think wide-fat with a bit more shoulder to it. It's a phenomenal neck, it's friggin perfect. But if the C shape is going to be the only shape available, .9 or bigger would be desirable.

Huge +1!!!

Not only would this help PRS owners, it'd also help people who are considering buying a PRS for a first time. I remember asking for references as to the dimensions of the wide fat neck and it was like pulling teeth. Even when some people came to some sort of agreement, when I finally bought the guitar, I realized their appreciation was wrong and the neck was not like what they described at all.

I'd love if PRS (or anyone else) would provide something like this.

Wouldn't you prefer a "graphic" comparison between Salma Hayek and Eva Mendes? :lol:

Alas... this IS a family forum. :oops:

[Sigh]

Hans said:
Wouldn't you prefer a "graphic" comparison between Salma Hayek and Eva Mendes? :lol:

[Sigh]

That wouldn't help in the neck discussions, but I'll take it anyways. :ugeek: <==3D-Goggles on!

Hans said:

[Sigh]

Two more individuals begging for more size. Reference my signature.

Back