Calling All Vela Owners!

drdoom8793

THAT guy at Chick-fil-A
So I'm interested in getting a Vela in the somewhat near future. Unfortunately, every video review or demo has people playing either blues or rockabilly style so I don't exactly get an idea of just how versatile the pickups are.

What I'm looking for is basically something that can handle lighter rock and pop punk type stuff in the vein of Paramore, All Time Low, Yellowcard, etc but also still have versatility to handle other genres such as Contemporary Christian type stuff (I play at my church too). Now, a lot of these guys use a Fender Tele 72 Deluxe, but I've never fallen in love with Fenders the way I do with my PRSi.

Right now, I've got an S2 Custom 24 and an SE ZM and want something a little different. I think the Vela could fit the bill, but I'm also open to other suggestions. I'm looking more in the SE/S2 price range, possibly used models if below $1500. Thanks for the help!

Why not give one a try. Last time I was there, Guitars USA in Lexington, NC had one. They have a nice selection of SE, S2, and Core PRS guitars. Less than an hour drive from you in Charlotte. (I think you've posted that you're in Charlotte.)

A friend of mine has one and I'm keeping it company right now as he is out of town. There is a definite Tele vibe to it with the Tele style bridge and the neck pup, but I get a whole lot more versatile feel from it than a Tele. I should say that I've never gotten along well with Tele's. I had a 72 thinline reissue and just didn't love it.

The Vela fits well with the music you say you are playing. Try one, I would guess you would like it.

There is a definite Tele vibe to it with the Tele style bridge and the neck pup, but I get a whole lot more versatile feel from it than a Tele.

I was surprised to find this as well... more than I expected. The neck pup is probably more Strat-like, but still it's own thing. Mrs. Bebop and I have collected and rejected a -lot- of guitars over the years, and it's interesting how the Vela is so similar to many other guitars and yet still so unique.
What I'd say it won't do is high gain/output pup voicings or a thick neck humbucker sound. Other than that, with amp / pedal choice and EQ settings, it covers about anything.
Plus, it's very light, extremely well balanced and comfortable. Not much to not like unless you're expecting it to be an exact replacement for one of the old standards...

There's a reason all the reviews you see are in those styles, it does them best. Unfortunately I'm not good at conveying experiences and specifics, you'll really have to play one to see for yourself.

I recently sold mine because it didn't give me what I wanted in its lone state. I suppose if I spent enough time programming "Vela Specific" banks on my ME-80 to compensate for what I couldn't get out of the guitar by itself, I would have kept it, but that's more work than I wanted to do, lol.

I don't have a Vela, but if rock and contemporary Christian are big for you, definitely check out the S2 Semi Hollows. They do rock very well, and in a worship band format they're perfect. The semi-hollow construction gives them a more sweet, subdued high end that doesn't sound piercing if you want to do the arpeggiated, delayed riffs that are so popular in that style right now. They add a lot of meat to a mix without being too bright.

I play everything on my Vela (well, all the music i like which is rock from the 60's through todays metal). I've hardly touched any of my other guitars in 6 months. I love that thing.

Long post:

I had the joy of playing a lot of guitars today thanks to one of my good friends and his harem. I played a Vela, a Santana, a pre factory CU22 and a recent CU22, a recent CU24 and a Tokay Les Paul (I also played my CS Strat and Tele today as on most days).

Observations: the Tokay Les Paul was one of the better L.P.s I have ever played - couldn't believe how clear and articulate the neck pup of the LP was. So too was - the Santana, it was pretty sweet - very clear and bright and very "les polish" though brighter and clearer the most LPs that I have played. The prefatory had more bloom and was very fat. I was surprised that the 24 fret was brighter and clearer than the 22 and had a very nice neck (standard pattern, but different than the Vela). The Vela was also a great guitar; more raw than the others and had a tele Gretsch thing going on; less sustain and more attack than the rest of thePRSi.

I learned that i was wrong about 22 vs 24 fret models and I think that the CU24 was more balanced, articulate or clear on the neck position - I always assumed that the 22 fritters were better - think i was wrong on this. The Santana was closer to a Les Paul than any PRSi I have owned (Ted), or played and the vela is a pretty versatile guitar with a lot of tones. The Vela does not have the complexity or bloom of the maple caps and it lacks the sustain of the others but has way more punch and twang.

Side by side it would be hard to pick one, the Les Paul or Santana could be end all guitars and fill the bill for anything; they were both exceptional guitars (I have owned and played many and these two specimens were as good as any!).

The Vela has mojo and as a tele player primarily, I would say this is a very cool guitar for a lot of gigs and I think I want one!

Back