Calling all private stock owners

Em7

deus ex machina
I received the private stock order sheet PDF yesterday. Is there a companion sheet or booklet that covers all of the options? I did not realize that there were so many options available via private stock.

There isn’t really a guide. Your dealer can help, and myself and others would be happy to help you navigate things.

Honestly, a lot of the choices are fluff. I always start with the wood I want, and the base platform I want; i.e. Santana, 594 hollowbody and go from there. Next would be anything special I wanted to add, for example mini toggle instead of push pull, or a baby dragon inlay on the neck.

Once you make the big decisions, most of the little ones fall into place.

Does anyone know if pernambuco neck blanks are still available for private stock guitars? There is a lot of unique wood in the vault.

Does anyone know if pernambuco neck blanks are still available for private stock guitars? There is a lot of unique wood in the vault.
Generally no. It’s conceivable that it would show up from time to time, but you certainly cannot count on it.

Just ask when the time comes. My cocobolo neck was the only one in the vault at the time, and it had been drying for years and not available to the Indy crew a week earlier.

I would love to see photos of all of the bird inlays that the private stock team has done over the years. There was absolutely stunning private stock on display at Experience 12' or '13 that was a beautiful shade of blue with either paua outlined abalone or abalone outlined paua birds. I bet that mammoth outlined paua would be nice as well.

I would love to see photos of all of the bird inlays that the private stock team has done over the years. There was absolutely stunning private stock on display at Experience 12' or '13 that was a beautiful shade of blue with either paua outlined abalone or abalone outlined paua birds. I bet that mammoth outlined paua would be nice as well.
There are so many! Trolling the Private Stock Friday thread is probably the most comprehensive collection.

Just looking at the wood blocks in the vault with all the materials can make it hard to choose...and that only shows one inlay on one piece of wood. I always pick the inlays last. Once I have my wood and the stain nailed, it narrows down the choices a lot.

In my opinion, paua always looks good.
Here are a couple of examples, and my thoughts on why I like them.
This one isn’t Private Stock, but it’s one of my favourite inlay to fretboard matchups. The golden shade in the shell fits the yellow of the maple really well. In some light and angles, the inlay almost becomes invisible and then pops out with a friendly wave.
CK_MapleMaple.JPG

You can’t get much bolder than stark white on ebony. I did consider a silver outline around onyx, or just a silver hollow bird.
CK_MahoganyEbony.JPG

There was so much going on in this fingerboard, that the Americana birds with three shells seemed like a good fit.
CK_MapleCoco.JPG

Wow! I spent last evening perusing the "Private Stock Friday" thread. There are some really pretty guitars and more than a few WTF were they thinking guitars in that thread. I am beginning to believe that my needs are too plain to go private stock. However, then again, taste is a personal thing.

Wow! I spent last evening perusing the "Private Stock Friday" thread. There are some really pretty guitars and more than a few WTF were they thinking guitars in that thread. I am beginning to believe that my needs are too plain to go private stock. However, then again, taste is a personal thing.

I actually have a rather plain Private Stock acoustic that I spec'd. I mention this because it's the nicest sounding acoustic I've ever owned or played, and I've played plenty of the 'unobtainium' ones and owned a lot of the highly regarded ones as well. I think a PS is worth having, because they're pretty incredible instruments, and the care lavished in them (and the selection of not merely pretty, but great sounding wood blanks) does matter - in fact, the longer I've lived with mine, the more I've come to appreciate what spectacular playing and sounding instruments they are.

The only decor I ordered is what came stock on the then-Artist models of the US PRS acoustic (which was then standard on a PS). I didn't want any fancy stuff I'd later go 'WTF was I thinking?' over. ;) I also didn't want to pull out a fancy looking guitar at sessions with other players.

My choices were all about the tone wood, and most certainly not about the fanciness of the wood, though Gretz and Paul Smith did pick out some pretty wood for me. I also wanted a carbon fiber truss rod. The types of wood, the truss rod, and going with the stock decor were my only choices, everything else I didn't care at all about.

I have some PS electrics, but I bought them from dealer stock or ordered from a couple of limited PS runs, and didn't spec them. I completely understand that you don't want an over-the-top guitar. But a PS is a special beast even when it ain't about the looks! :)

I am beginning to believe that my needs are too plain to go private stock. However, then again, taste is a personal thing.
The right wood library might do it for you, but you are dependent on someone else wanting to build 10 of what you want.
PS lets you get what matters to you. Maybe that is a particular wood combination, or somewhat specialized electronics, or a look.
This is pretty plain in many respects and was pretty cheap as Private stocks go, but it gave me a non dirty 100 with a top that appeals to me.
CK_073MochaBurlBodyAAA.JPG

That is more up my alley. A lot of the private stocks on the thread are just too over the top for me. To me, they are more "wall hangers" than instruments that I would actually play. The Studio is as close to an HSS SuperStrat that PRS builds while still looking like a PRS guitar. A '92 HSS Ibanez S540FM was my number one for 27 years. I purchased and sold a few PRS guitars during that period. I finally sold the Ibanez in 2019 because as much fun as the guitar was to play, there was no denying that I had to be careful when playing first position chords to prevent them from sounding out of tune. Granted, guitars are tempered tuning instruments, but the temperament on 25" scale PRS guitars is darn near perfect. I just want a Studio that is built to my specs. For example, I would prefer to have an uncovered HFS in the treble position (it is a SuperStrat after all, so it needs some get up and go). I would like a quilted maple top on a lightweight mahogany back, a maple (or other similarly dense hardwood) set-neck with the pattern regular carve. If it is still available via private stock, I would like a Brazilan Rosewood fingerboard (yes, I know that is a sore spot with respect to CITES). Fingerboard inlays are an area where I am undecided.

I actually have a rather plain Private Stock acoustic that I spec'd. I mention this because it's the nicest sounding acoustic I've ever owned or played, and I've played plenty of the 'unobtainium' ones and owned a lot of the highly regarded ones as well. I think a PS is worth having, because they're pretty incredible instruments, and the care lavished in them (and the selection of not merely pretty, but great sounding wood blanks) does matter - in fact, the longer I've lived with mine, the more I've come to appreciate what spectacular playing and sounding instruments they are.

The only decor I ordered is what came stock on the then-Artist models of the US PRS acoustic (which was then standard on a PS). I didn't want any fancy stuff I'd later go 'WTF was I thinking?' over. ;) I also didn't want to pull out a fancy looking guitar at sessions with other players.

My choices were all about the tone wood, and most certainly not about the fanciness of the wood, though Gretz and Paul Smith did pick out some pretty wood for me. I also wanted a carbon fiber truss rod. The types of wood, the truss rod, and going with the stock decor were my only choices, everything else I didn't care at all about.

I have some PS electrics, but I bought them from dealer stock or ordered from a couple of limited PS runs, and didn't spec them. I completely understand that you don't want an over-the-top guitar. But a PS is a special beast even when it ain't about the looks! :)

I have never heard of a carbon fiber truss rod. Any particular reason you wanted one?

I have never heard of a carbon fiber truss rod. Any particular reason you wanted one?

Yes. There are several advantages:

1. The neck stays perfectly straight regardless of season. It doesn't twist or bow. I've had mine since 2013, and the action has never changed. It's like it just left the factory.

2. It makes for a lighter guitar.

3. Instead of a hunk of metal vibrating and resonating in the neck - a part of the guitar with a large effect on tone - carbon fiber is stiffer and the resonances seem to be less pronounced, or at least out of the audible range. I think an acoustic guitar sounds more "woody" with the carbon fiber. A stiffer neck might also transmit the vibration differently; this is one reason why a singlecut shape is preferred by certain players.

There is one drawback: if you're the player who needs to be able to adjust the neck from time to time to suit your playing style, a carbon fiber truss rod won't work for you, because it's not adjustable. It isn't an issue for me.

PRS offered them on its acoustics in the Artist Package back in 2011 or 12. I had one, and loved it, so I ordered one on my PS. My PS electrics were all limited factory runs, so they have standard truss rods, but if I were to spec a PS electric, I'd want to try a carbon fiber rod.

Yes. There are several advantages:

1. The neck stays perfectly straight regardless of season. It doesn't twist or bow. I've had mine since 2013, and the action has never changed. It's like it just left the factory.

2. It makes for a lighter guitar.

3. Instead of a hunk of metal vibrating and resonating in the neck - a part of the guitar with a large effect on tone - carbon fiber is stiffer and the resonances seem to be less pronounced, or at least out of the audible range. I think an acoustic guitar sounds more "woody" with the carbon fiber. A stiffer neck might also transmit the vibration differently; this is one reason why a singlecut shape is preferred by certain players.

There is one drawback: if you're the player who needs to be able to adjust the neck from time to time to suit your playing style, a carbon fiber truss rod won't work for you, because it's not adjustable. It isn't an issue for me.

PRS offered them on its acoustics in the Artist Package back in 2011 or 12. I had one, and loved it, so I ordered one on my PS. My PS electrics were all limited factory runs, so they have standard truss rods, but if I were to spec a PS electric, I'd want to try a carbon fiber rod.

Huh, I didn't know any of this. Thank you for the wonderful explanation.

The right wood library might do it for you, but you are dependent on someone else wanting to build 10 of what you want.
PS lets you get what matters to you. Maybe that is a particular wood combination, or somewhat specialized electronics, or a look.
This is pretty plain in many respects and was pretty cheap as Private stocks go, but it gave me a non dirty 100 with a top that appeals to me.

That's incredible! Mind if I ask? Why no birds?

Edit: Wait... am I allowed to post in this thread?

I absolutely love this one.

Also, the moons are a relief from the birds, birds and more birds. I really dig that choice!

That is more up my alley. A lot of the private stocks on the thread are just too over the top for me. To me, they are more "wall hangers" than instruments that I would actually play. The Studio is as close to an HSS SuperStrat that PRS builds while still looking like a PRS guitar. A '92 HSS Ibanez S540FM was my number one for 27 years. I purchased and sold a few PRS guitars during that period. I finally sold the Ibanez in 2019 because as much fun as the guitar was to play, there was no denying that I had to be careful when playing first position chords to prevent them from sounding out of tune. Granted, guitars are tempered tuning instruments, but the temperament on 25" scale PRS guitars is darn near perfect. I just want a Studio that is built to my specs. For example, I would prefer to have an uncovered HFS in the treble position (it is a SuperStrat after all, so it needs some get up and go). I would like a quilted maple top on a lightweight mahogany back, a maple (or other similarly dense hardwood) set-neck with the pattern regular carve. If it is still available via private stock, I would like a Brazilan Rosewood fingerboard (yes, I know that is a sore spot with respect to CITES). Fingerboard inlays are an area where I am undecided.
I would be all over your specs as well! Maybe you should get a quote from a dealer - only costs you a little bit of time.

PRS appears to have a decent current supply of Braz at the moment, given the amount of recent new guitars with either full Braz necks or Braz boards, shouldn’t be a problem. As an alternative to Braz, Madagascar RW sounds great to my (damaged) ears as well. Others have said good things about Honduran RW too. Cocobolo can be nice too depending on your color choices (deep red color to it). For RW I do have a preference for Braz though.

Back