Calling all Alterbridge Fans - Forum Q&A session

Shawn@PRS

yogi
Calling all Alterbridge Fans - Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy are gearing up to hit the road in February to promote their latest album FORTRESS. Stops include Japan, Australia, USA and Europe. But before they leave, they want to chat with you! We are pleased to announce an exclusive online Q&A session for PRS forum members. Submit your questions via this thread no later than February 7th.

That's awesome!

My question:
Can I go with you??? ;)

Seriously,
Can you tell us about one of your greatest guitar-related memories? Maybe it was a chance to play with someone...a certain venue...intense crowd support...or maybe it was something else.

Last edited:
Wow, I could fill the thread myself, LOL! I'll just ask the one for now though, and it's for Myles.

Myles - With all the time you put in singing for Slash and with Alter Bridge, is there any chance of the solo record you recorded ever seeing the light of day? And, to paraphrase the above poster's question, if and when you do release it and tour in support of it... can I go with you? :) (Seriously, how can I get a crack at auditioning to play rhythm guitar and sing backup vocals? Or, I play bass also... Just saying.)

Okay, a few more questions...

How do you decide which songs to include in the live set, now with four records to choose material from?

Are there songs that you write now where you know as you're writing them that they will be "studio only" tracks, or does every song that makes the record have an equal chance of making it into the live set from the start?

Is there ever any debate over which one of you will play the solo in a given song, considering how great you both are at playing leads? Likewise, when it comes to recording backing vocals, how is it decided whether Myles or Mark will sing the backing part/parts?

I have plenty more questions, but I'll let some other people have a chance to ask some first, LOL! :)

Question for Tremonti:

How do you plan on using the Archon in your live setup? For instance...is it going to replace another amp or amps??...will you run any clean or only distorted??

P.S. Thanks for The Sound and The Story DVD for Fortress. It's awesome to see you making the very things that you enjoyed learning from early in your playing days! Now if I could only partially replicate some of the things that you and Miles are teaching in the DVD...

This is awesome! HUGE fan of AB and love the thundering nature of Fortress.
1. To Both Mark & Myles: Who were your specific quitar playing influences growing up? (and did you get to meet any of them?)

2. Myles: Same question as #1 but from a vocal perspective?

3. Any chance either/both of you will have a break in your schedule to come see us in September at PRS Experience 2014? ;-)

Keep up the great work and hope your tour stops in CT (or Nearby).

Hey guys
My question is for Myles, i was lucky enough to hear you sing with Slash
In Byblos Lebanon and i'm sure you know how much we love you over here
So is it posdible that AB will do a concert over here in summer 2014 or 2015 because we love
Mark also and i really hope to see you both shredding on our stage

Keep on rockin' hard guys i love your lates album
:adore:

Hey fellas,
My first question is for Myles. Have you learned any techniques/tips while playing with Slash that you haven't learned before? If so, what and have you implemented it while playing with Alter Bridge?

My question for Mark, when I write a guitar solo I tend to stay pentatonic. Does, or did, this ever happen to you and what do you do to step outside the box?

HUGE Alter Bridge fan here!! This is so cool!!

For Mark..Was wondering if you had any input in the design and direction of the Archon amp, and as asked before how its going into your rig. Also, what is the actual neck pickup you use in your guitars? and have you considered the DGT frets on any of your guitars, did it to 2 of my Tremonti's and they are so bad-ass! Your guitars are the sickest on the planet!! Have 3 of them and you have signed one when I met you..Thank you again!!

For Myles....One of the best singers I've ever heard! Guitar playing is awesome as well!! Myles, really dig your tone and style! I know you had input in the design of the sig guitar, the private stock 408, any ideas or input coming up with another guitar soon? Not like you've been busy or anything..lol! Also I really dig the feeling and powerful and positiveness you put in the lyrics! Love the energy and vibe that happens between you and Mark and comes thru in the songs!

Both of you and Flip and Brian, thank you for what you guys do! On each new record or project you guys keep pushing the envelope and bringing yourselves and the music to new levels, I dig each cd more and more! Fortress is bad ass and looking forward to catching a few shows on the tour in New York state!
Thanks guys
Mike

Here's one I'd direct to both guys - what advantages do you feel you get from being involved in multiple projects (Alter Bridge, Slash, Creed, Tremonti) as opposed to being restricted/devoted to just one? (Not necessarily happy with the 'restricted/devoted' word choice - I don't want it to sound like it has a negative connotation.)

And if you could package two other bands to tour with for a dream tour, who would they be?

Wow, thanks Shawn, this is really cool!

Myles and Mark,

When you're writing a song and/or a solo, are you focused in on a certain scale or mode, or do you just let it flow and see what comes out?

Mark, the clean tones on your albums always sound great, how do you keep them from sounding dull and one-dimensional?

Really enjoying Fortress guys, one of the best albums I've heard in quite a while. Everything about it is top notch, from the tunes to the playing to the production. Have a great tour!

A few more for Myles... Have you noticed more interest in the old Mayfield Four material, or even the Citizen Swing stuff, since your broader exposure with Alter Bridge and Slash? How often do fans ask you to sign those CDs when you are signing autographs with AB or Slash these days? Also, have you ever considered revisiting any of the Mayfield Four material, either with Alter Bridge or perhaps on any future solo tour once your solo record is FINALLY released? (Hint, hint... LOL!)

And finally, on a personal note, if I wanted to ask you to sing a guest vocal on my album I am currently producing on my own, through what channels would I need to send my request? It will likely not be a national release or anything big, but it has been a desire of mine for quite some time to hear what you would do with the melody on one song in particular that I am working on. I'm sure you get these sorts of requests all the time, and I know the chances are slim, but since this is likely my best chance of ever actually getting to ask you "in person", I figure I'd throw it out there... feel free to reply to that one via PM if you'd like. If not, I understand, of course... it's just 100% less likely to ever happen if I don't ask, right? LOL!

Wow, thanks Shawn, this is really cool!

Myles and Mark,

When you're writing a song and/or a solo, are you focused in on a certain scale or mode, or do you just let it flow and see what comes out?

Mark, the clean tones on your albums always sound great, how do you keep them from sounding dull and one-dimensional?

Really enjoying Fortress guys, one of the best albums I've heard in quite a while. Everything about it is top notch, from the tunes to the playing to the production. Have a great tour!

+1....million

How well do your PRS guitars hold their setup as they go through many different temperature and climate changes on the road?
In other words, (for example) are there a lot of extreme truss rod adjustments required when performing during very hot weather?

The song "watch over you" off the "blackbird" album was really well done! It was a fine emotional delivery along with a good story line !! When can we expect more of that type of performance from you in the future ? Thanks !!

One less-than-serious question for Myles (because that's what I do...) - if it were left it up to him, would he rather replace Mark Wahlberg in Steel Dragon in "Rock Star", or replace Mark Wahlberg with Jennifer Aniston in "Rock Star"?

My wife, brother-in-law, and I have been huge fans of AB for years! We're going to our first AB show in Baltimore and we can't wait, we're driving from Pittsburgh just for the show because no other dates/times worked for us. I really wish the USA tour was a little bigger! My questions are:

1) As someone above mentioned, the music and lyrics have an uplifting and 'happy' tone/feel to them, despite being heavy and sometimes thrashy. Personally I find it refreshing that AB has this take on 'metal', instead of the typical sex, drugs, and rock and roll mantra that a lot of bands feel that they need to live up to. What do you think is the main reason why AB's music writing takes on this 'uplifting' feel, while still being heavy and "in your face"?

2) I love that Myles and Mark have different styles when it comes to soloing, I think it adds a lot to the dynamic of the band as opposed to all members having one style and not being very diverse. How do you guys stay fresh with your song writing, especially Mark, since you've written what seems like dozens of albums worth of material?

3) My bro-in-law has a USA PRS Tremonti, and I have a new USA PRS Custom 24. How can we bribe you guys into signing our guitars and taking a photo with us and my wife at the Baltimore show?! Nothing would be more rewarding than that after driving 5 hours from Pittsburgh for a Monday night show!

Hope the tour goes well! Stay healthy and we're looking forward to the Baltimore show!

Back