California Tweed and Tube Screamer

JackStraw

Hi, all.

Newbie pedal question for you...

I am building a pedalboard and had a question for the forum. After hearing a comment on Tube Screamer and Fender amps I was wondering if a TS and CT are a good pair. It goes something like a tube screamer is perfect for a fender amp (black face, DR, BJr,etc.) because TS has a lot of mid range and makes the Fender sound creamy.

Is this the same for the tweed amps? A TS seems like a staple pedal, but didnt know if a TS did or did not mix well with a California Tweed.

The following is what I have currently amassed over the past few months.

Polytune Mini -- Keeley Katana Clean Boost -- J. Rockett Archer -- QTron+ -- MXR Carbon Copy -- Ditto Looper

I was going to add a TS mini to the mix, unless it is not advised with my style amp.

I appreciate any feedback.

I think you'll receive numerous responses regards this topic...the tone search has been an endearing one that we've tried to deal with time and again.

IMHO, the Katana and Archer are sufficient for your needs. If perhaps you might think that adding a tube screamer will add another layer of flavor, it will. However, be advised that introducing a 3rd boost/OD to the mix will also increase the noise in your signal path. The Archer is a great little pedal for dialing in D-Style and slightly higher gain, but using the tube screamer, IMO, would be counterproductive.

If perhaps you are more of a tone purist, you'll not like the added noise. The Archer has just a touch of noise, but adding both boost and/or tube screamer would not go well for you.

If it were me, I'd search for a low gain overdrive or boost (the TS is moderate to high gain) and use it sparingly. To push the front end of the amp. IIRC, if you've already got your amp dialed in correctly (just at break-up into overdriven), you can ride your guitar volume either way for cleaner or overdriven tones. I'd also look into dialing in your amp's EQ more effectively before adding a TS. The sweet spot is where you can hear every note, but each has this warm, wooly tone (think Dave Grissom or John Mayer for both humbucker and single-coil perspective).

Hope this helps you with your search, best wishes...

The TS I have (its an old one from 82) sounds great with the CT, but I don’t usually have multiple OD pedals in series so can’t speak to that part. For reference, Analogman’s King of Tone also works great, as did a recently purchased KTR. I find the CT to react a whole lot like Fenders with pedals, and less like a high gain Boogie does (I never needed added gain with those!).

If you haven’t tried it, delays sound incredible in the loop of that amp. I was surprised at how warm and clean it sounded.

I hope you’re enjoying the California Tweed! Great amp.

If you haven’t tried it, delays sound incredible in the loop of that amp. I was surprised at how warm and clean it sounded.

I hope you’re enjoying the California Tweed! Great amp.

I appreciate the post. I figured you had some good feedback. I am enjoying it. Although pretty straight forward it’s been a lot of fun trying the various settings.

I have not used it yet but recently bought an MXR carbon copy. My wife is getting me a delay llama xtreme for an upcoming birthday. More for the psychedelic sounds it can produce than the delay, but definitely look forward to experimenting.

Also, I see you put your delay in the effects loop. Is that how you always do it or for this amp in particular.

Any particular delay you use?

Last edited:
I appreciate the post. I figured you had some good feedback. I am enjoying it. Although pretty straight forward it’s been a lot of fun trying the various settings.

I have not used it yet but recently bought an MXR carbon copy. My wife is getting me a delay llama xtreme for an upcoming birthday. More for the psychedelic sounds it can produce than the delay, but definitely look forward to experimenting.

Also, I see you put your delay in the effects loop. Is that how you always do it or for this amp in particular.

Any particular delay you use?
The reason I move delay to the loop when I can is that delay going into a drive pedal or vice versa gets muddy when on at the same time and either is turned up a bit. In truth, that can also make some cool and unique sounds, so playing with it is fine. While messing with my Axe Fx, which will even let you do impossible things like placing the delay between the amp and speaker cabinet, or even after the speaker cabinet, it occurred to me that I should experiment more with available options. I found that I really liked delay and reverb in the effects loop in most amps with a good loop.

It’s not life changing or anything, but you ought to try it. The delay I have now is a TC Electronics Flashback II, so it's what I used with my CT and it was great. Just a normal stomp box, so whatever you have will likely do fine.

Most times, I’m gigging the Axe Fx so I haven’t used a pedalboard outside home and rehearsals in a while. Were I to go back to pedals, I think I’d use two delays... one on the board and one in the loop. Hey... I think I just stumbled on something to try in rehearsals. :)

The California Tweed’s lack of multiple channels and Recto amounts of gain causes me to play differently, and I’m enjoying that. Totally capable amp, tones from all the Fendery combos, great reverb, and great with pedals. I’m really glad I added one to the amp stable.

Hi, all.

Newbie pedal question for you...

I am building a pedalboard and had a question for the forum. After hearing a comment on Tube Screamer and Fender amps I was wondering if a TS and CT are a good pair. It goes something like a tube screamer is perfect for a fender amp (black face, DR, BJr,etc.) because TS has a lot of mid range and makes the Fender sound creamy.

Is this the same for the tweed amps? A TS seems like a staple pedal, but didnt know if a TS did or did not mix well with a California Tweed.

The following is what I have currently amassed over the past few months.

Polytune Mini -- Keeley Katana Clean Boost -- J. Rockett Archer -- QTron+ -- MXR Carbon Copy -- Ditto Looper

I was going to add a TS mini to the mix, unless it is not advised with my style amp.

I appreciate any feedback.
Based on your current pedals, I can tell your a Mayer fan. The TS mini would be a great addition. Boost it with the Archer or Katana. I’m thinking Mayer uses the Klon with the single coils, I find my klone clone is too much in the lower mids for my humbucker PRS guitars. My suggestion is gain staging or stacking. Keep the gain levels low and run one into the next for more drive while maintaining clarity. Good luck

Based on your current pedals, I can tell your a Mayer fan. The TS mini would be a great addition. Boost it with the Archer or Katana. I’m thinking Mayer uses the Klon with the single coils, I find my klone clone is too much in the lower mids for my humbucker PRS guitars. My suggestion is gain staging or stacking. Keep the gain levels low and run one into the next for more drive while maintaining clarity. Good luck
You are spot on. I was actually building a mix of his board from from 2018 and 2019 D&C tour, but it ended up being like 13 pedals. I paired it down to what I listed. That is until I saw the Delay Llama Extreme and had to have it for those insane sounds it produces.

I appreciate the feedback on the klon and your humbuckers. I’ll keep that in mind. I may just go ahead and buy a TS mini with some guitar center rewards just in case.

I have a California Tweed and it has significantly more midrange than a BF amp. I would think a Tube Screamer would get muddy in the mids with this amp.

Back