California Prop 65 WARNING ON MY NEW S2 Custom 24!!!!

kingsnake

Ok so UPS just delivered my brand new PRS and i see this on the box!!!!

attachment.php

Should i be worried? Is it just the plastics in the gig bag maybe??

Would i have to eat the damn thing for dinner and wash it down w/a keg of 100 year old beer for it to hurt me?

I'm concerned because, if it plays well and i keep it, it is something i want to keep and play regularly until ground control calls major tom on my ass...

If it's just stuff in the gig bag, i can throw that out, i have a nice case waiting for this guitar.

I haven't had kids yet and this thing is worn dangerously close to the groin area.

The chemicals are only hazardous to your health if you live in my great state ;). Maybe the inside of the guitar case contains asbestos?:D

Unfortunately, GAS will continue despite the warning.

Last edited:
Could simply be the foam peanuts and/or plastic bubble wrap protecting your beauty in transit.... Or possibly the foam padding and/or dye in the gig bag. Alnico bad for you too?! Electronic solder? Who knows? As Andy474x said, it could nearly cover anything and everything.

Alcohol is listed on the prop 65 list as being hazardous... to pregnant women.

You play guitar...you're already a risk taker! I bet you even use your teeth to play!

Besides, only drummers spontaneously combust.o_O

I have a PRS case that smells like an ashtray .took weeks to air it out. So when someone states the guitar they are selling was kept in their smoke free home , That statement does carry some merit.

It is the brass components...there is copper, zinc, and a tiny amount of lead in there.

As long as you don't eat your guitar...and a few hundred extra...you will be fine.

Oh...and that Prop 65 label pretty much has to be on anything with a wire in it too...even Christmas lights o_O

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they just slap this sticker/sign onto everything in California. I wouldn't worry about it. Almost every apartment building in California has one of these bad boys posted near the entrance.

It's really common to see these on packages, I wouldn't be worried.

I'm pretty sure they just slap this sticker/sign onto everything in California. I wouldn't worry about it. Almost every apartment building in California has one of these bad boys posted near the entrance.

It's really common to see these on packages, I wouldn't be worried.
Yep. Everything causes cancer. Everything prevents cancer. (See coffee as newest preventative thing.)

It seems like everything is labeled with Prop 65 warnings in/from California. If you could get water straight from the sky (some call it "rain", apparently) it would still have a warning due to airborne pollutants contaminating it.

And I understand the caution. But at this stage it seems to be overkill.

Screw it, i know i am being a wuss about it, but i am returning it. Fender and Gibson comply with proposition 65. It is worth the peace of mind.

I'd bet tens of dollars that your fender or Gibson box delivered to California will still have this sticker.

I have heard of over-reacting, but wow...

Hey, did you also know that live trees were killed, nay, slaughtered like lambs, in the production of your guitar? What kind of environmentalist are you?! And land was stripped bare in the pursuit of mining the metals that make up those strings and electronics and strap pins!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Prop 65 compliance just means sticking that sticker on the box. There is no way in heck that Fender and Gibson have completely removed all 900 listed compounds from their instruments.

Back