C Standard tuning with PRS Custom 24

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by macman241, Aug 30, 2014.

1. macman241

macman241 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with tunings like D standard or C standard with heavier gauge strings on a PRS Custom 24? I was thinking of drop tuning mine to C Standard in the future, and I was just wondering if anyone has anything to say about it.

Thanks

2. sleary

sleary New Member

I haven't personally put my cu24 in drop or standard c as I usually play in standard tuning. I know there are a lot of players out there that do it quite a lot. Just the usual setup is required really. I do have an se clint Lowrey in drop b and it holds up well .

3. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

I have a PRS guitar set at Drop C. I use Elixir brand strings and for this tuning I use their 11 gauge. The bridge is a non-adjustable. It holds up fine and is properly intonated.

4. nosidamde

nosidamde Taco Flavored Kisses

I own a couple Morpheus Drop Tune pedals. Wouldn't gig without one. Give one of those a try instead?

5. sleary

sleary New Member

I just ordered a digitech drop today, will let you know how I like it whenever it gets here .

6. maxtuna26

maxtuna26 New Member

I can do D Standard on my SE Custom with 10-46s, but the slinkiness might not be what others might like... So maybe if you get it set up with 10-52s you'll be good for D standard, and 11-54 or heavier for C Standard.

7. macman241

macman241 New Member

Thanks for all of the replies. About the Morpheus Drop tune pedal, thats more for something temporary. I would prefer to keep my guitar in C standard for a long time. About the strings, I was thinking of using 12-56. If there are many players that have dropped to C standard on a Custom 24, then I guess it won't be a problem if I do it as well :)

Thanks

8. sleary

sleary New Member

I was using 11's without a problem however 12's would give you a bit more chunk

9. ChrisCst22

ChrisCst22 New Member

It won't a problem with a proper setup and nut filing. I would think 12-54 would be the way to go but could probably do 11-52 if your used to the tension from 9's.

10. solacematt

solacematt New Member

Neat, someone who drop tunes :) I have my custom 24 set up for Standard D tuning and drop both E strings an additional full step to C but I have dropped it to Standard C, as well as Drop B and it plays perfect because I'm using 12 gauge strings with a proper setup. It doesn't sound muddy, no string floppage by any means.

11. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

This.